Not a Secluded Cabin
Since most reviews seem overwhelmingly positive, this focuses on some things that appear to have been left out. The reason there are so many pictures of the cabin from the lake is that they are not taken from the lake but from the road. The picture from the deck shows only the view to the right. To the left are several houses with a road running directly in front of them. It is a well traveled road and you can clearly see (and hear) the cars and trucks as they pass by. You can watch their reflection in the water. Needless to say, this detracts from the tranquility. There is also a very large house next door. Nothing separates you from your view of each other. Despite the proximity, (a stone's throw away) the neighbors will not wave hello or even acknowledge your presence. They will, however, watch you through binoculars from inside the house. No kidding! We took to keeping the blinds down on that side of the house.
You may have read an earlier review about feeding the ducks. Well, there is a consequence to all that feeding. The entire front of the property is completely covered in duck and goose droppings. We could not walk outside without shoes on. But I guess this would only be a problem if you were visiting in the summer. Inside, the cabin is pretty much as pictured. It is clean and well kept although I have never been to a rental where you had to make your own beds upon arrival. Kind of a drag after a long day of traveling. Although there is a basement, it is completely unusable. The cement floor was covered with dirt and the walls were covered with insulation. Construction materials were piled up in half of the space. The furniture that was there was for some reason upside down on top of each other. The access to outside was nailed shut with planks. We only had 5 in our group so not so much of a problem for us, but could be if you were with a larger group wanting to spread out. Also, the televisions are both small box sets so larger groups should not plan to watch the big game or a movie all together. The dining room table fits 6 comfortably, but the chairs at the island are not good for eating as the island hits a grown adult at chest level when seated. Again, not a deal breaker, just some things I wish I had known before renting.
Wilmington is a charming, quintessential Vermont town and Molly Stark State Park (five minutes away) is worth a visit.
Owner's Response: Not much of this is within the control of the owner. But I will add information where it might help.
• The website map clearly shows a road on the opposite side of the lake. Most people have found our home to be tranquil and relaxing, we certainly do.
• This is the only house that is available to rent, with lake access on Spruce Lake. We do not deem it appropriate to include pictures of neighboring homes on the website. Upon speaking to the neighbors, they deny the allegations made – not sure where to go with this one. I will add that half of the summer bookings are multi-year, repeat clients.
• While I have no control over the Vermont wildlife, I can - and do – provide rakes and shovels. You just need to decide if you want to use them. That said, the geese have been a problem this year, and we are currently working on a solution with the other owners.
• Not making the beds is standard for the area. Making the beds for 12 when 5 are staying at the house would be a waste of resources (i.e. excessive laundry). Also, we cannot be left to guess which beds will be used.
• The basement is not included as usable space quoted on the website. It holds the laundry area, ping-pong table and electronic dart board. The rest of the space is storage/overflow. There is access thru a side door.
• In addition to the kitchen table (seating 6), the porch table seats 6, a “kids” table next to the kitchen table has room enough for 4, and the island seats 4.
• The 2 TVs are 21 inch and include built-in DVD and VCR players. Basic cable and assorted DVDs and VCRs are also provided (but are by no means the focal point of this experience).
Obviously we cannot please everyone all of the time. This is our family’s vacation home - not a resort.
Helpful votes: 2/6
Did you find this review helpful?