Great family rental!
Submitted: March 20, 2012
Stayed: March 2012
My family and I stayed for a week in early March and had a wonderful time. I have family in the area, so it was a great location for family events as well as Caribbean rest & relaxation. Rather than repeat what others have said in their stellar reviews, let me add some things I haven't seen mentioned before:
1) The location is terrific. Many go to Puerto Rico seeking the excitement of the city of San Juan, but it's just that...a big city. Yes it has its great parts (Condado, El Morro, Old San Juan), but it also has traffic! Dorado is about 20min away from the airport without traffic, and an hour with...we arrived on a Friday at 4pm, and rush hour traffic was rough. But once in Dorado, you have a great blend of quiet vacationing with restaurants/shops as needed.
2) The condo is roomy! Here's how we split the place up: My parents were in one upstairs (3rd floor) bedroom. My wife and 3yo daughter were in the other 3rd floor bedroom. I was in one of the 2nd floor bedrooms with the 6yo, and my 4yo was alone in the other. Any other combination, we've learned, creates lots of chaos and lack of sleep, so it the roominess worked perfectly.
3) There's a garage! Not mentioned, but very handy...who wants to get into a car that's 100 degrees inside? It also made it easy to stash dirty/sandy stuff between visits to the water. Oh, and there are quite a few kids beach/pool toys in the garage that were very handy, and easily saved us $20.
4) I think this was mentioned elsewhere, but there's a propane BBQ grill in the back. We didn't use it, but it was nice to have as an option.
5) Once you reserve the condo, the owners will send you an awesome letter including local sites, shopping and restaurants. We visited nearly every restaurant recommended, and all were delicious, family friendly, and economical (or as economical as eating out for 7 people gets).
6) The beach is about a mile away. Although maybe an option for kid-less folks, walking wasn't possible for our clan, so we drove to the Embassy Suites beach/pool daily. The parking garage costs about $10 for 5 hours, the hotel employees don't blink when you walk through the lobby to the pool, and the hotel restaurant's actually quite good for breakfast and lunch.
7) The Embassy Suites pool is absolutely fantastic for all ages and includes a couple of kid areas. For days when we didn't want to make the drive, however, there's a nice pool about 100 yards from the condo with a playground.
Families with Young Children
Did you find this review helpful?