Overpriced for condition
This property offers a number of nice amenities and sits on a lovely piece of land. Unfortunately, the lack of upkeep of the property and it's location outside of Rhinebeck merit a lower price than we paid for our week this past summer. I should note that we rent frequently in this region from HomeAway so we have a good sense of perspective.
On the positive side, the deck immediately outside the back of the home is a lovely spot to sit and relax, and was surprisingly mosquito free. If you have kids, the house has some toys for little ones that are helpful. Four out of five bedrooms are a nice size. The home was clean, the kitchen open onto a small sitting area so nice for cooking and conversing.
Here's why we were disappointed:
1) Although advertised as a five bedroom, which is what we needed, the fifth bedroom is really a wide passageway between two parts of the home and the bed in it is sort of a love seat. It's not long enough for a tall person and without it's own A/C it was not possible for someone to sleep there this summer.
2) The master bathroom door was off its hinges and when we opened it, it fell over.
3) The pool had a leak which the owners claim we created
4) As we walked along the extended part of the deck/veranda space one afternoon, we were attacked by a swarm of wasps resulting in about 13 stings between 3 adults and two children. The owners did send someone out to spray and we had to call him back another time after we realized that there were multiple hives all under the deck including the part near the pool. In fact, every time we tried to go off the diving board in the pool, we would surface to find a few angry bees swarming around our heads.
5) The hammock had a huge hole in the middle rendering it useless.
6) The owners advertised use of a lake within 3 minutes of their property. When we arrived at the lake, we were promptly evicted by the lake association because a) they had not paid their dues; and b) renters are not permitted to use the lake. Fortunately, they no longer advertise this lake.
7) Screen door on the porch was broken, little dock on the pond was broken, etc.
8) When we arrived we noticed a musty smell. We finally figured out they had a hot water pipe leaking in the basement and a small flood - more handyman time.
Basically, not the kind of issues we expected for what we paid.
Helpful votes: 21/21
Did you find this review helpful?