|Minimum Stay||4 nights|
Experience country living with the 4 bedroom house with oak hardwood flooring, equipped kitchen, and 2 full baths with ceramic tile flooring. First floor bedroom and bath for those that might have trouble climbing stairs.
Why stay at a Hotel or Motel when you can stay at a private home! You can enjoy total privacy with the comforts of home. Relax and enjoy the sights and sounds of nature at it's best. Enjoy the Whitetail Deer at dusk, Chipmunks, Raccoons, Red-headed Woodpeckers, Blue Jays and occasional Wild Turkey or Owl.
My husband and I and our dog enjoyed our stay here. I’ve always wanted to live in a house like this, an aging Cape Cod with large, sunny rooms, hardwood floors, built-in bookcases, a well-shaded, spacious lawn. The house is perfect for larger gatherings: the living room has comfortable seating for 8 or more people, and there are many private nooks for conversation and getting away from the crowd. My favorite spot was the small porch off the kitchen. Our aged, arthritic dog liked the fact that there was only one step up into the house from the front porch. The property is just large enough for morning and evening walks with the dog, but the real selling point of this rental is its proximity to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the Brecksville Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks with their miles of trails, lakes, and picnic areas, all just 8-10 minutes away. Don’t miss Heinen’s grocery in Brecksville for carryout prepared food and a fabulous wine selection and the art galleries and small shops in Peninsula. All in all, this rental has a perfect location close to major highways and the great attractions in Cleveland as well as the charming countryside of Ohio’s Western Reserve.
The charming farm house was a delight for our children, grandchildren and for us. The rooms were spacious and clean. The lighted night walks to the brook was fun. The fire pit and wood was great for story time and memories. The daffodils and magnolia tree were in full bloom and the permaculture natural foliage on the walks were great. We took a tour of the Farnham home and learned a lot of history about the farm and foundation. The house is centrally located with minutes away from interstate transport. We enjoyed a hike to Brandywine waterfall.
The manager was helpful for any questions we had.
Pierogi of Cleveland was close by and a grocery store within minutes from the house.
We have used the Home Away website for two other rental properties and have had very positive experiences. Although it has a great potential and convenient location, this listing was not acceptable for the following reasons:
1. The rooms in the house remained cold, even after turning up the thermostat. While in the kitchen, we needed to turn on the oven to add more warmth to the room. This helped somewhat, but the rooms remained cold and drafty.
2. There was a cracked, broken window pane in the living room door leading to the back porch which not only added cool air but was unsafe.
3. There was a missing door leading from the hallway to the downstairs basement. This was a major safety concern for members of my family who could not see the danger.
4. There were exposed electrical wires in the first floor bedroom.
5. The steps leading from the driveway to the side door entrance did not have railings and were not level and unsafe.
6. The upstairs toilet did not flush.
7. The dining room chairs were wobbly and unsafe for adults to sit in.
8. There were many missing light bulbs and fixture covers throughout the house, several of the light fixtures flickered on/off and the bedroom lamps were wobbly.
9. There were electrical outlets that were not grounded to accept 3 prong hair dryers.
10. There was peeling paint on the windowsill of the downstairs bathroom and what appeared to be black mold in the upstairs bathtub.
11. The downstairs shower water did not operate properly.
12. There were no smoke detectors in the bedrooms.
13. There were no window coverings on many of the common areas, which added to the cold temperatures in the rooms and the lack of privacy.
In addition to these safety issues, there was a general lack of cleanliness and comfort as well, including peeling wallpaper, peeling ceiling plaster over beds, and other issues, which might be overlooked had there not been these major safety issues.
Rented this house a few months back when I was in the area for a family reunion. We stayed there with a few others also in from out of town. Is it a 5 star hotel? No. But….It is spacious and clean and it only took 24 hours and we were all rather charmed with this old country place. Parts of the home (mainly the ground floor) have been nicely renovated and cleaned up more than others. I spoke to the owner at length about some of issues that we found (also noted in a previous review) and Kathleen welcomed the feedback and was quick to address these problems. She also enlightened me to the history of the house and how it’s been a proud work in progress for them and that upgrades are ongoing. The bottom line is, this IS a very old farmhouse and if you like old houses and the character that comes with them, you’ll enjoy this place. For a group vacation such as ours, we really did appreciate having a home to rent over separate hotel rooms. It allowed family from distant places to hang out, utilize a common kitchen and we had plenty of room to stretch out and relax between the house, the porches and the yard. I may be back in Ohio for a wedding next year. If so, I would definitely look into this house again.
We travel frequently, and we rely heavily on reviews, and this is the first time that we found the reviews to be off the mark. Since we do rely on these reviews, we wanted to provide a fair and balanced review. There are some pros to this property: the house has good access to the highway and turnpike, the property is quiet, and the outside area is nice. There were several downsides, however:
* aside from the kind bed (which is comfortable), the beds are *terrible* (the mattresses are obviously very old)
* when we ran the downstairs shower, 30 seconds of brown rusted water came out. The upstairs shower head is rusted and only a few streams of water come out.
* we had to vacuum the living room carpet when we first arrived, as is was covered in dog hair (suggesting the house wasn't thoroughly cleaned)
* some of the furniture is in disrepair (we moved a well-placed blanket to reveal that the living room armchair was duck-taped).
* the house is missing a few conveniences (we couldn't find a toaster).
* the house is supposed to have A/C, though it did not work well. The bedrooms have window units, but they are loud and ineffective.
* the house may work for adults, but it is *not* kid friendly.
It's also important to note that we had to leave a few days into our one-month planned stay due to a death in the family. Though they were able to re-rent the property for the majority of our stay, they only offered us a refund of a few hundred dollars (and this was after several days of not returning our e-mails and phone calls). With so many options out there, we recommend looking elsewhere if you're planning to stay in the Cleveland area.
Drs. Thomas & Heidi King
Rented for a "Gals Getaway". This is an excellent location - great shopping within 1/2 hour away - close to CNP and all it has to offer. Very homey and comfortable! Our group of cousins loves to get out and do things during the day, but then have a place we can just relax together and reminisce. This home fit the bill perfectly!
Conveniently located near Cuyahoga Valley National Park ,Brandywine Ski Resort and just minutes to surrounding communities. Half hour drive to Akron or Cleveland. Close to turnpike and Cleveland airport
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
4 night minimum stay
|Notes||Rates are subject to change until reservation is confirmed. In the event of cancellation, refund of rental amount less $100 is available with 60 day notice prior to arrival date.|
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.