Lovely Authentic Villa
Submitted: July 26, 2011
Stayed: July 2011
My wife and I stayed here recently for two weeks, coming home extremely relaxed and de-stressed (just what we needed).
I'd recommend staying here for a number of reasons.
1. It's a traditional Cretan villa set in the old part of a smallish (although sprawled out) authentic Greek village. If you want to experience the real Greece, away from the package holidays and neon then this is for you.
2. Georgia the owner is a fantastic host. We were greeted with ice-cold beers and a plate of Dacos on arrival. She speaks excellent English and also runs a travel agency in Chania - very handy for booking excursions and finding out about what Crete has to offer.
3. It's in a great location in terms of getting to places nearby.
- 30 mins drive to one of Cretes best beaches (Phalasarna)
- 20 mins drive into Chania - which is a beautiful Venetian town with really cool bars/restaurants by the marina and in the back alleys (avoid the tourist traps round the old harbour though).
The first reviewer mentioned the derelict buildings around (which are Ottoman and therefore at least 150 years old). This just adds to the quietness and charm in my opinion. Also, several of these are being renovated currently.
The villa itself is equipped well enough (fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, 3 bathrooms all with showers) and the pool just big enough for a dip when it gets too hot. The patio gets the sun from 10 am until 6 pm (in July) and it's also very private with the patio walls dropping 8 feet down to the surrounding alleys.
One thing I will say is that really it'll sleep 4 comfortably, but 6 is pushing it (two single mattresses on recesses downstairs). There's also no sofa or chairs which is a little annoying.
Kolymbari itself has just enough restaurants and bars (plus a supermarket) to keep you interested without spoiling the feel of the place. Do bear in mind that the villa is a solid 10 minute walk downhill to the harbourside though where the restaurants are.
The local beach isn't that good, but does offer watersports.
If you want peace, quiet and isolation and a proper Greek experience amongst locals away from the hustle and bustle (but with enough places to eat/drink locally - with only a short drive to a really lovely historic town and beaches/villages) then this is the place for you.
If you want a modern villa or complex in a resort with more lively nightlife then you might want to look elsewhere.
Families with Young Children
Helpful votes: 4/4
Did you find this review helpful?