Submitted: April 24, 2013
Stayed: March 2013
We had a wonderful week on Roatan at Hummingbird House. The owner was very responsive to emailed questions prior to the trip, and the onsite house managers (Tomas & his wife) kept the grounds & landscaping immaculate. You *must* rent a car, because it's at least 15-20 minutes to any sort of businesses. There is a steep flight of steps up to the front door & then 5-6 steps down to the bedroom pods - might be hard on people with severely impaired mobility.
- extremely spacious
- the community felt very safe, with a guard gate & people living onsite downstairs to watch over things
- kitchen was huge, with high quality equipment & pots/pans/etc.
- loved the private pool, perfectly sized for hanging out & relaxing
- pod setup gave all members of our party lots of privacy
- all furniture was very comfortable but not so fancy that you were afraid to mess it up
- A/C was extremely effective if left on all day long. If turned off/on it couldn't keep up w/ heat.
- staff at the restaurant was very welcoming & helpful, especially Cecelia (the owner)
- private community beach was gorgeous & never had more than about 20 people on it at a time. They were constantly raking & cleaning the beach.
- don't miss the local Garifuna singers & dancers who perform weekly at the restaurant!
- service requests made on-site either were taken care of after our rental period was up, or took repeated calls to get resolved.
- golf cart brakes were almost nonfunctional, which we were not informed about but had to discover for ourselves, only to be told that the onsite guy already knew about it. This seems dangerous.
- a member of our party stepped through a rotten board on the deck & they dragged something over the hole & left it there all week, and only replaced the board as we were checking out.
- guest bathroom shower did not have hot water all week. Master bath shower did, and guest bath sink did, but the shower didn't for some reason. Occasionally there would be 5-10 seconds of scalding water & then it was back to ice cold.
- pool was not cleaned prior to our arrival, and in fact was not cleaned until we made more than one phone call to the manager complaining that the pool was full of sand & turning cloudy & green.
Overall, we were satisfied with the value for money of this rental & enjoyed our trip. The home is lovely & small issues didn't cloud our trip - I just mentioned them for full disclosure. I hope we can return to Palmetto Bay soon! I miss the beach!
Families with Teenagers,
Families with Young Children,
Helpful votes: 1/1
Did you find this review helpful?