Neglected maintenance on the unit.
Submitted: November 7, 2012
Stayed: October 2012
The following are some of the most unpleasant characteristics of this rental unit.
1. Dirty bathroom, and especially the bathtub. The white tub was coated with dark griime, and the underside of the rubber mat was slimy. I purchased a can of Comet and scrubbed it several times before allowing my 22 month old granddaughter to bathe in the tub.
2. The showerhead above the tub will emit warm water, and then turn icy cold, before it becomes hot again. This led the unsuspecting person to get drenched with ice cold shower in the middle of the shower. The shower head also leaks and makes a constant dripping sound.
3. The refrigerator is filthy; there were pieces of hair in the drawers and trays, as well as other dark particles of an unspecified nature.
4. The upstairs neighbor has children who ran up and down the length of the house starting from about 6 am till 10 pm or so, waking all of us at the crack of dawn. This makes the apartment's "quiet hour policy" not only ironic, but laughable. (We politely tried to ask them to keep the noise to a minimum, but were rebuffed and ignored).
5. The breakfast nook is dirty; I had to use a cleaner to wipe the soot off the table and the benches.
6. Every cupboard smelled of mildew. It makes one not want to use the glasses, plates and bowls in the cupboard.
7. The hallway closet smelled badly of mildew.
8. The cupboard/armoire in the front bedroom is broken (door won't close, baseboard falling off).
9. The garage space on Sacramento is very difficult to enter, unless one is willing to stop traffic on the busy street for at least ten minutes trying to angle the car onto the driveway without hitting the cars parked on either side.
10. The rental agents' lack of knowledge about the need to obtain a temporary permit in order to park on the street was unfortunate. I was lucky to have a relative living nearby whose deed I used to obtain a temporary parking permit, so that I could avoid using the impossible garage and to park on the street. The only true piece of information given by the agents was that parking on the street was not too difficult.
All in all, this unit is uninhabitable. I honestly think that the landlord's policy is to do the minimum upkeep of this property and the agents do not care about the comfort of the tenant.
Owner's Response: All of our previous guests commented that they really enjoy the nice set up and said our home is a beautiful & comfortable place for their stay.
We wish this guest communicated her issues and her extraordinary level of cleanliness during her stay, and we would have definitely send our cleaning crews back to take care them if there were really any. We've provided a care package at the home, and we also e-mailed guest our contact info along with the check in info, so they can reach us if they need any help during their stay. But unfortunately, this guest didn't even try to call/e-mail us for any of her concerns during her stay, so we're not able to help them out. Maybe she didn't want to pay for any extra cleaning. But we would come out to do the extra cleaning to please her at no extra charge.
We've walked through the house & inspected everything, as we routinely do before each guest arrival. The bathroom, bathtub, refrigerator, and the breakfast nook are very clean. We've sent our contractor to check the shower head, and it's working fine. We've switched out the armoire. We're sorry about the noise from upstairs tenants, and we wish the guest can let us know this earlier so we could talk to the upstairs tenants to resolve this right away. We'll try to screen for more quiet tenants for the upper unit from now on & post signs as reminders.
San Francisco is a very environmentally conscious & dense city, so our parking regulations are very strictly enforced, and parking spaces are limited. Fortunately, we have a garage parking space available for our guests. All our previous guests were very appreciative with our free garage parking space, which most the other owners charge fee for it, and some don't even have a parking space available for their guests. None of our previous guests have ever requested for temporary parking permit before, since we've provided them a free garage parking, plus street parking is easy to find in this neighborhood. We also clearly informed this guest that we only provide one free parking space, and she has to find street parking for her other cars when she reserved the home. We're not so sure why she needed so many parking spaces. Maybe she just need some extra parking space for her guests to come to visit her. Our other guests have thank us numerous times for providing easy parking for them here.
This home is centrally located in Pacific Heights. Easy access via taxi and bus to all other major tourist attractions.
Helpful votes: 3/4
Did you find this review helpful?