|Minimum Stay||7 nights|
A development of ten modern properties within two minutes walk of the beach with new pool, slide and diving board. The property has air -conditioned rooms, and fully equipped kitchen including washer / dryer, dishwasher, microwave and fridge / freezer. The villa is spread over two floors with two bedrooms downstairs both of which have an en- suite bathroom with King Double Beds. Upstairs there is another bedroom with two single beds or double bed together with separate bathroom. The living area consists of Lounge with DVD, CD together with Kitchen and dining area. Broadband internet access is available. Maid service is available on request.
Setting: The properties are situated just South of Holetown between the famous Sandy Lane Hotel and new Four Seasons complex - set in a lush garden with pool and ample car parking .
We are only a short stroll ( 2 mins walk ) from the fabulous beaches of the West Coast where you can simply relax or take in the many watersports on offer.
There are many good local restaurants only a short walk or drive from the villas and also local shops supermarkets from which to make your purchases.
Facilities: Rental of a villa will include access to two good sized pool in the grounds . One pool has been built to cater for children and has a depth of 3ft to 5 ft whilst the other and the depth ranges from 3' to 9' with diving board and slide.
We also supply an upgraded option which includes a vehicle for your stay. We have the following available:
1) 4 seater Soft Top Suzuki Vitara , Stick Shift , US$375 / week
2) 5 Seater RAV4 , Stick Shift , a/c US$400 / week
3) 8 Seater Suzuki APV Van , Auto , a/c US$425 / week
I thought I'd found a great deal with the price, description and reviews. But I was sorely disappointed. Gill and Adrian were very nice and all, polite, but definitely DO NOT take care of their place and we had some significant problems, all of which I brought up to the owners as follows, yet they did nothing except offerred verbal excuses.
1) They don't tell you that the "short 2mins walk to the beach" is across a VERY busy road, and is a total hazard to cross with no sidewalk nor pedestrian crossing. We had little kids and it was terrible. Don't stay here if you want a place you can "walk to the beach" but you have kids.
2) Our crawling 1yr old discovered that the floors in the condo were FILTHY. His knees and hands became quickly black, disgusting. They sent in a cleaning lady apologizing, and blaming the ash from cane fires. But after she mopped the floors under my supervision it was fine for the rest of our 8 day stay..... err, shouldn't this be done before we moved in?! General cleanliness of the unit was poor.
3) The dishwasher stank, and didn't clean anything remotely well
4) The clothes washer stank and didn't work well at all. Clothes came out with washing powder stuck to them. The cycle didn't complete properly. There is NO dryer like it claims on the amenities listing. The dryer is the bountiful sun and a line outside.
5) Driving: this was easy and on the left side of the road. Bajans are courteous. We rented their car, Rav 4. They're legally supposed to require me to get a Bajan drivers permit, but they didn't mention it, so nor did I! It is diesel and unfortunately it has a fuel line leak. After running it, when you stop, it drips diesel and smells strongly of diesel fumes. I receive it with a fuel tank on empty and commented... they said that's how they roll in Barbados! OK! Otherwise it worked, but struggled to get up some of the steep inland hils. We went up to the Wildlife Preserve and over to the east coast, and sometimes had to use first gear on hills! But that's a weak diesel car for you. We were praying the car wouldn't break down because there are no gas stations around and we were more than an hour from home. Roads are tiny and poorly labelled so get a GOOD map! I ususally rely on my iPhone map, and felt naked without it.
6) They do have a pool(s) and hot tub which was nice. However they were dirty. We all got ear infections, I suspect from the hot tub. Stale, dirty water. Covered by a tarp instead of proper cover.to be cont
Our 11 family members arrived in Barbados for a wedding that went off with very few hitches in Holetown, not far from Sandown. We had a great stay at Sandown. We are used to vacationing on the coast of Oregon, so the tropical weather, beautiful scenery and amazing beaches were fantastic! Gil and Adrian were so accomodating and we loved getting to know them and their daughters throughout our week. Anything we needed help with...all we had to do was ask. They knew us by name and made sure we had what we needed. One night, my parents arrived home to find that an animal (monkey?) had been sick on their fronch porch and Gil was out there cleaning it all up at 11 at night. They helped with finding taxis for us (William and Roy are the best!) as well as directions and eating reccomendations. Try Wendy's for great Marlin! That was our first meal after flying over 16 hours and the Banks beer and Marlin and fries hit the spot!
We enjoyed our condos and were glad we had two right near each other. Things were clean and the grounds kept very clean and lovely. The pool was clean and well lit at night. My kids LOVED visiting Dillian, the parrot, and Holly the dog. We really felt right at home at Sandown and it is mostly due to the service we received and the warmth of the Gil and Adrian and Collin.
Of course, there were quirks but we're adaptable people and we just figured out other ways to do things. We were in Barbados of all places so who can complain! One of the air conditioning units leaked at my parent's place, and the dish washer in our condo didn't work quite right (which Gil tried to help with). The dryers don't work right due to the humidity so we just air dried out stuff on drying racks which worked great. We had enough room for all of us when we had dinner together and we felt like we could relax. We did break a few wine glasses but left money to replace them, although a few more drinking glasses would be good since there are 6 people in each place.
All in all, we had a great time! And we'd stay there again. The beach is a quick walk across the street and beautiful! And there are great places to eat out: Daphne's, Zachios, Surf Tides as well as a fish market which was amazing!
The people of Barbados are amazing...so friendly and go out of their way to help you. I'm glad my new sister - inlaw is Barbadian so now we have new family to go visit!
We had the pleasure of staying at the Sandown Estate for 2 and half weeks and have had an absolutely lovely time. The pool is gorgeous.... (although the slide needs fixing for the children).. It is a perfect size and is big enough to share with other families comfortably. The hot tub is a great bonus too. Gill and Adrian rented us the MPV for the full stay for a reasonable rate, and I am glad we did. Barbados is a great island and definitely calls for being explored.
The best local beach is Crystal Cove, however there is no beach bar for evening drinks and snacks... best one we found was Ju Jus by the Lonestar up north of Holetown,. Il Tiempos is fine, but not our favourite and Cranes Beach is the best on the Island over on the East Coast and definitely worth a visit. St Nicholas Abbey, beautiful. and Codrington Hall, and Huntes Gardens.
Only cons are that it isn't really 'Luxury' there are definitely 'finishing' issues. The odd hole in the wall, gaps between cupboards, painting to varying quality, tiles still had numbers written on them, bad saucepans.... (take your own knives and veggie peelers) . They would definitely benefit from having some cable television, as the DVD's we borrowed, again were varying quality. Bring your laptops with some films on them and wire it into the TV which is a very good Samsung Flat screen. Oh, and there is only one shower.... a shower fitting and screen would be a benefit in one of the bathrooms. All in all a lovely lovely holiday, and we would recommend the villas for a relaxing stay.
Thank you Gill and Adrian
These properties were built, and equipped to a very basic standard. They are now in need of renovation and updating after constant use over a number of years. Old and tired appliances, bedlinen which was worn and over covers that were shredded. The T.V is for DVDs only and the WiFi did not work. Basic means very basic, not even a place to hang a towel in any of the bathrooms. Water leaking through tiles.
Good area for accessing Holetown as the bus stops at the end of the road but access to local beach is minimal and over a busy road. I would not recommend these properties to a friend.
We stayed at Sandown 9 during our Christmas vacation 2011.
-With 3 bedrooms and bathrooms, a well equipped kitchen/living room, a large balcony (perfect for breakfast and evening meals outside), pool access and only a short walk from the beach we were very pleased with our choice of accommodation. There is also a barbecue if you fancy yourself on the grill.
-The location is great! A supermarket is close by and Bridgetown, Holetown and Speightstown are easily accessible by car or bus. There are also some great eateries nearby - notably the Tides restaurant, Daphnes and Just Grillin.
- Malcolm who lives on the estate is a PADI instructor. He's a great guy and took us out on his boat to see and snorkel with turtles and view old shipwreck which was an amazing experience!
Would have given a higher star rating but there were a few cons:
-On arrival, villa wasn't thoroughly cleaned but Gill arranged for cleaner to return and we were happy with result
- Some home maintenance issues which should really be repaired eg: loose shower door, kitchen cupboard, board under sink narrowly avoided falling on my feet, balcony door didn't lock
-We had a bit of an issue with bugs in our villa, however, it is a hot tropical climate so not entirely surprising. Though not helped by some gaps for them to crawl in.
- Ad listed telephone access but no phones in property which was disappointing as landline calls in Barbados are free and makes life easier if need to call around (Gill does offer use of her own phone if necessary)
-No television channels at all. Gill and Adrian do invite you to make use of their large dvd collection but would be nice to have choice to watch TV if you choose to.
- Wireless internet connection did not work, so had to wire to laptop which was awkward as had to stand or perch on breakfast chair to use which was uncomfortable.
We'd definitely recommend Sandown Estate -as despite the cons which can be easily and quickly addressed and we hope our constructive review will help encourage this- staying in one of these villas is very good value and you will enjoy the freedom of self-catering and it's great location and outdoor facilities. And Gill and Adrian are very approachable if you have any questions or have any issues.
We just returned from a wonderful vacation here. Gill and Adrian and their family make sure you feel welcome and informed about activities and facilities in the area. We were impressed with the cleanliness of the villas and the grounds. The condo itself is clean, comfortable and spacious enough that 5 of us never felt cramped or in each others' way. The shared pool is great but the nearby beach was our favourite hangout. We used the local bus to get around with no problem but Gill arranged a taxi to and from the airport and when we toured the island for the day. Malcolm (a neighbour) took us out to snorkel and is available for diving too. We also took a day tour with Small Cats to snorkel in Carlyle Bay. The locals make you feel welcome with a "hello" or "welcome to Barbados" as you walk along the street. We'd go back for sure!
Located on the fabulous West Coast of Barbados in St James 100yds from the Carribean Sea. Close to all the watersport amenities, historic Holetown, Sandy Lane Golf Course - and many superb dining facilities. Bridgetown is only a short ride away as are the local supermarkets and banks. We have a resident PADDI Divemaster for all your diving requirements.
Other Activities: jet ski, sumbarine.
Golf: There are two world class golf courses nearby being Sandy Lane and Royal Westmorland.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Dec 1 - May 1
Mar 1 - Jun 1
Jun 4 - Nov 30
|Fees||No additional mandatory fees|
For ten nights and over there is a mid stay maid service included. Extra maid services can be arranged at US$50 / day.
We can accept payment via Paypal or direct payment into UK or USA accounts. We ask for a 10% non returnable deposit upon reservation and a non returnable balance two months prior to arrival.
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (GBP) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.