The Seven Valleys area is a mixture of gently rolling hills and open countryside and is ideal for walking, cycling and relaxing. The seven rivers that give area its name are ideal for fishing . We are within easy reach of the many golf courses in the Pas de Calais region. There are many rivers like the Canche, Authie or the River Somme where you can get permits to fish. The Beaches of Berck, Le Touquet and Fort Mahon are an easy drive along the River Authie. Ten Pin Bowling and Swimming in Hesdin in a Brand new Complex.
About the area - Le Pays des 7 Vallees is a tourist area within this region having the old market town of Hesdin at its heart. Situated at the confluence of the rivers Canche and Ternoise Hesdin has an impressive central 'Grande Place' dominated by the 16th century town hall. Market day is Thursday, but the boutiques, restaurants and bars, its historic church and buildings, and its status as a 3 star 'ville fleuri' (flowered town) make it a town pleasant to visit on any day. North of Hesdin is the 'Foret d'Hesdin' extending to over 1000 hectares. The cottage is also near many Historic Battlefields.
War Museums and Places to visit in Northern France
- Base V3 de Mimoyecques, Landrethun-le-Nord, Marquise, 62250. Tel: 0033 321 87 10 34
V3 rocket launcher site and factory. www.basev3-mimoyecques.com Open: 1/4 - 11/11 2.00 - 6.00pm. Sunday and Public Holidays in July and Aug. 10.00am - 7.00pm. Closed 1st December to 28th February.
- Batterie TODT (Museum of the Atlantic Wall), Audinghen. 62179. Tel: 0033 321 32 97 33
Built using tens of thousands of slave labourers during WW2. Open: June to 30th September - every day 9.00am - 7.00pm. Out of season; 9.00am - 12.00 noon, 2.00 - 6.00pm. Weekends only in December and January. www.batterietodt.com
- Le Blockhaus d’Eperlecques, rue du Fort Vesques, 62190. Tel: 0033 321 88 44 84 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 0033 321 88 44 84 . Built in 1943 as a V2 rocket launcher and factory. www.leblockhaus.com
Bondues War Museum. 59587 Directions: The Museum is located on the National Road RN17 Lille-Menin (avenue Charles de Gaulle), near the RN352, the A22 and the airfield. Tel : 0033 320 28 88 32 www.ville-bondues.fr
- La Coupole Space Centre, Herfaut-Wizernes. 62504. (5km from St. Omer on the D210). Tel: 0033 321 93 07 07. Allow 2 1/2 hours for your visit. Our verdict? Directions; From Calais - A26, exit 3 or 4. A MUST SEE. www.lacoupole.com
Dunkirk Museum of Remembrance - Dunkirk. Tel: 0033 328 66 79 21
- Historial de la Grande Guerre, Château de Péronne BP 63 - 80201. Peronne. Tel: 0033 322 83 14 18 Directions; A1, exit 13 or 13.1. Open: May - Sept every day 10.00am - 6.00pm hours. Closed Monday from October - April. Closed mid December to mid January. www.historial.org
Musée 39/45 - World War II Museum, CD940, Ambleteuse, 62179. Tel: 0033 321 87 33 01 32 44 12. Open: 1/4 - 15/10, 10.00am- 6.00pm (open every day). Out of season - W/E’s and hols. Closed December, January and February. www.musee3945.com
The Underground Tunnels of Arras (WW1), Arras. Tel: 0033 321 51 26 95
- The Wellington Quarry, rue Delétoile 62000 Arras. Tel: 0033 321 51 26 95 . An underground memorial from the First World War. www.carriere-wellington.com
- WW1 battlefields - contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (Tel: 01628 634221 It also supplies maps showing the hundreds of cemeteries in both France and Belgium (£3 each).
- Route 39/45 - runs from Calais (War Museum) through to Eperleques (Blockhaus), Ardres, Ambleteuse, Mimoyecques (Base V3) and Audinghen (Atlantic Wall Museum - TODT Battery). www.route-3945.com
Somme Tourism. www.somme-tourisme.com
For more information contact the Calais Tourist Office.
- In Flanders Fields Museum (Ypres Museum), Lakenhallen Grote Markt 34. B-8900. Ieper. Tel: 0032 57 22 85 84 . www.inflandersfields.b