Arriondas House Rental Photos and Description
Detached house with garden and terrace for 4-6 people
La Rondita is a fully-equipped holiday home suitable for families, groups or independent travellers, situated at the edge of a traditional Asturian village, close to local facilities and many outdoor activities. Located in the foothills of the Sierra del Sueve, La Rondita is equally close to the Picos de Europa National Park and the Costa Verde's fishing villages and beaches.
Because of this location, La Rondita is ideal for either an active holiday or a relaxing break. To view the house details, please see below.
If walking is your passion, La Rondita offers a number of walks both long and short that can be undertaken directly from the house without needing to drive, plus others that are slightly further afield both in the mountains or on the coast.
Fuentes, where La Rondita is located, has a train station on the narrow gauge FEVE railway, linking between Santander and Oviedo.
This coastline is also known as the Jurassic Coast and there many beaches offering actual dinosaur footprints, plus a visit to the Jurassic Museum of Asturias (MUJA) is a must for any dinosaur enthusiast.
Lunch is an essential part of Spanish life and stopping at one of the many Mesones (Inns) or Sidrerias (cider houses) in the area to try the amazing value Menu del Dia (set meal of the day - 3 courses with choices) is highly recommended. Also, La Rondita is fortunate to be located extremely close to 2 of the 4 Michelin -starred restaurants in Asturias: Casa Marcial (2 stars) and El Corral del Indianu (1 star). Gastronomy is a key feature of this area.
Recommended local places to visit:
1. Ribadesella - pretty, nearby coastal town with fishing port and beach.
2. Cangas de Onis - gateway to the Picos de Europa, popular tourist town, weekly Farmers Market.
3. Covadonga - religious shrine dedicated to Our Lady set in a grotto in the Picos de Europa, incredible mountainside Basilica plus also spectacular natural lakes set up in the mountains - great for walking!
4. Picu Pienzu - our local 'biggie'..this mountain is 1268m tall and offers breathtaking views across the Sierra del Sueve in the directions of both the Picos and the coast.
5. The Cares Gorge (the classic Picos walk).
6. Incredible beaches, both wide and open (fantastic for surfing) or small and cove-like (good for sheltered swimming and rock-pooling).
7. Oviedo, the capital of Asturias is 45 minutes drive away, small, clean and full of culture, curiosities and shopping!
Interesting fiestas to witness:
1. El Bollu (pronounced bo-yu) - in July celebrates the local chorizo bun!! Local music (bagpipes), traditional costumes, parades, and lots of cider.
2. El Descenso del Sella - the annual canoe race down the River Sella between Arriondas and Ribadesella on the coast, which occurs at the beginning of August. A truly international event, with competitors from many different countries. Worth seeing, both for the party and parades before and the incredible fiesta spirit that absorbs the town for these 24 hours.
3. Amagüestu - the annual fiesta to celebrate the chestnut harvest at the beginning of November. Live music, a traditional food and craft market selling local honey, chestnuts and chestnut products, jewellery, baked goods, freshly-pressed apple juice from the new harvest and many hand-crafted local items.
4. La Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos - every 5th January, Arriondas hosts a parade through the town at night, welcoming the Three Kings who will deliver presents to lucky children the following morning (Epiphany!)
La Rondita: La Rondita is located at the edge of our village, a tranquil and peaceful location. It has its own natural spring and is surrounded by orchards and beautiful mountain scenery. The River Sella, famous for its canoeing, salmon and trout fishing, runs close by. The house is detached and has 3 bedrooms, sleeping up to 6 people. It has been sympathetically restored and is equipped to ensure your comfort. Its English owners, who live independently opposite, are available for advice
and support and have an expert knowledge of the area. La Rondita has central heating and offers free WI-FI 24 hours.
The Property Details: Spacious open plan living room with comfortable seating area, TV, DVD player (guests are advised that DVDs can be borrowed from us) portable stereo, books, games plus local maps and an indispensable information folder full of suggestions and walk details for the area.
Fully-fitted large kitchen-diner (oven, hob, microwave, washing machine, kettle, toaster, fridge-freezer, dining table and chairs).
Family bathroom (toilet, sink, bath with overhead shower).
1 double bedroom (big enough for a travel cot, if required).
1 twin bedroom (big enough for a 3rd single bed if required).
Separate WC and sink.
Outside of these 3 rooms is a separate bedroom area (double sofa bed, with own bedroom furniture).
Bed linen and bath towels are provided; please bring your own beach towels.
Outside: At the rear of the property is a private garden with BBQ. Here you will find a terrace with peaceful and beautiful views across the village and valley. You can walk to a local village (10 min.) which has a restaurant and bar and the nearest town (Arriondas) is 5 km drive away offering bars, restaurants, cafes and supermarkets, as well as activity centres, parks and picnic areas, a sports centre and an indoor swimming pool.
You can walk to beaches next to the River Sella (5 min.) for swimming and sunbathing; you don´t even have to get in the car to go to the beach.
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
About Mrs Sara Aubrey
We came to live in Asturias in 2005 when our two girls were very young. We chose Asturias for its unique, authentic culture, being the part of Northern Spain where the Spanish holiday to escape from the heat of the rest of Spain. Parts of this region are like time and nature have stood still, so rich and real is its landscape and way of life. The open land, fields full of cows grazing, miles of orchards, four clear seasons with a milder climate than the UK.
We live and work in the house opposite La Rondita so we are always around to help with questions and give advice. We have a small collection of animals (sheep and chickens), we grow some of our food and hope to grown even more over the coming years in this fertile and unspoilt land.
Our lives have changed dramatically since coming here, for the better as we have new jobs, our Spanish has improved dramatically (and our children of course speak it better than ourselves), we have friends and have learnt that life doesn't always have to be frantic, a slower pace still gets the job done, especially if you take time to eat and drink well along the way as the locals definitely do.
Mrs Sara Aubrey purchased this house in 2005
Why Mrs Sara Aubrey chose Arriondas
We came here on holiday in 2004 for the first time, as a family. We were here for two weeks in Spring and it rained a lot. But we were enchanted and captivated by its lush, natural beauty. We had already decided to move from the UK and realised we had found what we were looking for here.After hunting for what seemed like an age and viewing so many other properties (some real wrecks, full of natural 'character'), we finally managed to find two houses for sale, separate yet close by, one for us and one as a rental. Plenty of land for growing fruit and veg, animals and adventures! Close by to a local town, where our children could go to school, located in a traditional village alongside the River Sella. Very curious neighbours who were overjoyed to see that we had brought children to live in the village! Several years on and the entailing peace, beauty and tranquillity still convince that we chose well!!
What makes this house unique
When we first visited Fuentes (the village where we live), we knew it was perfect because is is located near both the coast and the Picos de Europa National Park - La Rondita is equidistant!
It is a five minute walk from the River Sella, where we have our own river beach, perfect for an end of day swim or even a trip to the beach without the car!
La Rondita is very private, set down a lane, completely detached and with its own private garden, overlooking our orchard.
The house is very comfortable; we have tried to give it a 'home away from home' feel and it has a garden terrace with fantastic mountain views, a fully equipped kitchen, 24 hour WiFi, a flat-screen TV with many films and TV programmes available in English.
From the house various mountain and forest walks are possible, you can walk to a bar and two restaurants plus we have a train station in the village for trips to the coast or cities without the car.
The location is not too isolated, quiet and peaceful yet only 5 km (8 minutes by car), from the nearest town with supermarkets, doctors and hospital, many great restaurants and bars, even a couple of Michelin starred eateries. Airports and ports and also close by.
Guestbook comments from the owner
"Very nice home in a calm environment between nice mountains and the sea. Very nice beaches at less than 30 mn from the house."
Dominique g. (France)
5 out of 5 review from Homelidays, part of the HomeAway group