Cossington Chateau / Country House Rental Photos and Description
6 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms, sleeps 16 plus cots
Cossington Park is a superb, listed home in extensive and beautifully maintained gardens – suiting all ages and perfect for family reunions. It has been owned by one family for over 300 years and paintings, antiques, papers, photographs and 5000 books reflect our history.
Totally secluded yet just a short walk from the village pub, it makes an excellent base from which to explore (see location).
There is a Library, large Drawing Room, period Dining Room, Breakfast Room and farmhouse-style Kitchen and Scullery. Outside are: extensive lawn and flower borders; ‘ha-ha’ with feature bridge; paddock with apples; barbecue; games field; kitchen garden; front garden; walled vegetable garden. Indoor and outdoor games.
Features regularly mentioned in our guest book include the:
• extensive and peaceful gardens and grounds
• comfortable beds and luxury linens and towels
• generous hamper; and
• uniqueness of our welcome and service in what is clearly a much-loved home
Caring for the Community: Cossington Park does not make profits. All proceeds are used for maintaining the estate.
Cossington Park as been provided as a venue without charge for functions and garden parties by Cossington School and Bridgwater YMCA. Events have been held in support of national charities.
We have an ongoing association with the registered charity I CAN, which was founded by the great grandfather of Cossington Park's present owner.
We have a strong association with our local church, which contains memorials to our ancestors and where some family members are buried.
We buy produce, goods and services from local suppliers.
We have purchased the work of Emma Linham, artist and mother in Dunster, and local potters.
Caring for the Environment: Like most of the western world, we do not do enough for the environment, but are gradually taking steps to 'do our bit'.
* Over the past five years, we have spent far more on restoring and maintaining the gardens at Cossington Park than is justified on purely commercial terms;
* We nurture some special trees; * We keep a wild garden at the end of our paddock, which is loved by butterflies;
* Our Paddock has lots of rare cowslips
* We have three ponds that are abundantly supplied with newts, including the endangered great crested newt
For Garden Lovers: Cossington Park's own gardens have some interesting features:
• An old and extremely rare species of Chinese Elm, brought here by my ancestors from China, believed to be the only one of its type and age in the UK (the UK's most eminent tree experts have been unable to match it exactly to any known species)
• A wide variety of old English apples trees
• Several ponds with great crested newts
• Rare cowslips
• A fine clump of lime trees
In addition there are many gardens open to the public within a day's visit from Cossington Park.
- suitable for elderly or infirm
- wheelchair inaccessible
- children welcome
- pets considered
Guestbook comments from the owner
Having just spent our second Christmas at Cossington with the family I highly recommend the experience. Thoughtful Christmas decorations had been put up and the house was an ideal setting for a great family reunion and Christmas together including our two dogs. Warm, welcoming and everything you could ever need for a fantastic stay.