I must say we were disappointed at the condition of the rental home and felt that the rental price was excessive based upon other homes and condition that this was in.
1. No working smoke detector in the house. This is a code violation and a safety issue.
2. Carpets were extremely dirty and spotted as well as the sofas (sofas were worn to the point that threads were showing in areas.
3. Master bathroom shower floor was dirty and both my wife and I have a bad case of athlete's foot now.
4. No place in the contract was it stated that there were restrictions on the use of the AC, but when we arrived notes were posted on the kitchen wall limited the AC to 75 degrees or higher. This is a breach of contract and had we known would not have agreed. If the AC unit freezes up below 75 degrees then it is substandard and may also be a building code issue.
5. The living room TV did not work for the first 1.5 days
6. Walls were dirty and spotted especially in the kitchen. Screen on front door was loose and disconnected also areas around the pool the screening was coming loose letting geckos and insects in.
7. Holes in the walls were cable wiring was jury rigged-building code issue?
8. There was only 1 reclining lounger at the pool, since there was 2 of us this created an issue 9. There were no drapes on the front door entry creating a privacy issue.
10. The patio door curtain slats kept falling down-as I discovered many were held up by toothpicks.
I am sure that in this condition you are not getting any returning guests.
Owner's Response: After receiving this review and also contacting the tenants that had rented my house several times in the past and who recently stayed just a month before this review was submitted, I fired my property manager. He was responsible for many of the items listed and also was the person who arranged all of the cleaning between guests. He had been managing my property for almost 2 years and while I had not been happy with his work and billing(such as charging me an additional $30 to replace batteries in the smoke detectors), it was only in the past few months that the true extent of his neglect was brought to my attention. In fact, the week before this tenant arrived, my brother, while vacationing in Florida, power washed the lanai furniture and the lanai area at my house. He also repainted the lania floor and replaced the several lights in this area. He told me that the rug was dirty and he shampooed the rug, however, there were stains in the rug that would not come off. I am making arrangements to tile the entire living room in April / May timeframe. When I personally get to my house in May I plan to also replace the living room furniture and check out the condition of the patio curtains. Ironically, my brother said that he noticed the transom windows around the front door were filthy and full of cobwebs. He made a point of cleaning all of these windows before he left. I guess he did too good a job, since this tenant felt that these windows needed to be covered for privacy. There is no house across the street and the windows only look into the living room entranceway. As for the air conditioner notes, those were posted by my former property manager without my knowledge. The 1.5 days without the living room TV working, were because my former property manager did not respond for 1 1/2 days. (By the way, he then sent me a bill for $50, over his property management fee, to talk to DISH and get the TV working.)
Finally, I'm hopeful that changing the property manager, and thereby changing the cleaning service, pool care and landscaper, will take care of most, it not all of the problems.
Please do not be put off by this review.
Helpful votes: 2/3
Did you find this review helpful?