Several Problems - No Consideration from Owners
We have rented houses in Nags Head for several years, and this was our most difficult week ever. The house has many nice features and the location is secluded and convenient. We believed the problems below warranted a refund from the owners, but they refused. Use this information as you see fit, but here is the short version of our difficulties:
1) Couldn't get into the house at the agreed upon time. Cleaning lady sent us away, which required that we purchase a meal for 8 people. We tried to call both contact numbers, but no response for two days.
2) No volleyball court, as was represented on the site (since edited). The volleyball court was a deciding factor in our choice of properties, so this was a big deal for a family with a high school volleyball coach and player.
3) Puddled water in the downstairs bathroom floor all week, which was unsanitary and gross. This made for lots of aggravation for the in-laws who needed to be on the ground level.
4) Ice maker did not work all week. It was so loud that we had to shut it off to sleep.
5) Downstairs refrigerator did not consistently cool or freeze all week and made lots of noise.
6) Kitchen refrigerator froze milk, eggs, cheese, fruit, yogurt, meat, etc. solid.
7) No pillows on two beds. We purchased pillows. Did not get reimbursed and did not receive the pillows back as the owner promised. Don't really want them now.
8) What appeared to be blood stains on two pillows and two comforters. We had to wash all the comforters on the night of arrival.
9) Unwashed - not just dirty - pots, pans, and dishes in the kitchen. So bad that teenage boys wouldn't eat from them.
10) List of other things that were broken, dirty, or missing. We supplied the list and offered photos to the owners so we would not have our security deposit forfeited.
We spoke with one of the owners on Monday of our stay. He said he needed to do some research and would make things right, only to find later that they did nothing to make up for our expenses or problems.
We had fun and made the best of a week at the beach despite these aggravations, but our family was very disappointed that the owners responded rudely, totally disregarded our concerns, and offered no consideration for the problems we encountered. And that is a shame, because there are lots of nice things about the house. If you choose this property, we hope your stay will be better.
Helpful votes: 2/4
Did you find this review helpful?