We live nearby on a horse farm.
Battlefield Cottage was built on the actual ground where the Battle of Franklin raged.
The little brick cottage was built in the 1930's. While development of a civil war battlefield would not happen today, much of the the Franklin battlefield was lost to commercial development in the immediate decades after the war. Today, preservationists are reclaiming the historically significant sites. In 2006, land bordering the southwestern end of the Carter House property (steps from Battlefield Cottage) was acquired with help of the Civil War Preservation Trust and local organizations. This site saw tremendous fighting and was part of a brief Confederate breakthrough. After the purchase, a house, out-buildings, and a swimming pool were removed. During excavation of the original Federal entrenchments some human bones were found.
The area around the intersection of Columbia Ave. and Cleburne St. (steps from Battlefield Cottage) has seen a serious renewed effort since 2005–06 to reclaim that area for the center of a future battlefield park. The location of the former Pizza Hut is now the home to Cleburne Park. The property where the Carter Cotton Gin was located during the battle was purchased in 2005. In 2008 the property behind this location and where the Federal line crossed Columbia Ave. was purchased and in May 2010 the property east of the Gin location and where part of the Gin may have stood was also purchased. A Domino's Pizza in a small mini-mart at the northeast corner of Columbia Ave. and Cleburne St. still stands in the center of the key battlefield area, but is scheduled to be removed.
Preservation organizations plan to reconstruct both the Carter Cotton Gin and some of the Federal entrenchments before the 150th Anniversary of the battle on November 30, 2014, as part of the Civil War Sesquicentennial