|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
Completely self-contained, ground-floor garden suite set in a natural west-coast setting of tall firs, cedars, salal, goats beard, wild cranberry, ocean spray, Oregon grape, and ferns. The suite is perched on the immediate edge of the Capilano Canyon (the property is well fenced!) looking 30 metres down to the ruggedly beautiful Capilano River and across the canyon to the Capilano Regional Park. Exceptionally quiet - the only sounds you will hear will be the murmurs of the river and the songs and cries of the many resident birds.
The Canyon hosts bald eagles, ospreys, great blue herons, and numerous ducks and other smaller birds, including sparkling hummingbirds, that fly past at eye-level, perch on nearby trees, and enjoy the birdfeeders. Looking down at the Ranger Pool, you will see salmon running (in the fall), fly fishermen, kayakers, and hikers taking a rest on the river's 'beach'.
Our home is set well below the road, which is why it is so quiet and the setting so pristine. But it comes at a cost! There is a hand-railed path of about 40 steps from our carport down to the main level of our home. We continue to handle this journey with ease (despite two hip replacements!). There are a further 20 steps down to the suite. Consider this hike part of your daily workout!
The suite has it own private deck overlooking the canyon and there is an adjoining patio that provides a cool place to sit and read or eat on sunny hot days. It has been recently renovated and decorated with West Coast art. It has two large, bright bedrooms, with a double or queen-size bed and new bedding. The living area has a slate floor and comprises a well-equipped kitchen, a large dining and living area with a gas fireplace. The bathroom includes a bath and shower, and the usual fittings. The suite looks out, through two double French doors, to the deck and across the river to the park. The suite is exceptionally safe and private, and is professionally cleaned after each visit.
Our suite is exceptionally well located for tourists and vacationers:
• 5 minute walk to the Capilano Suspension Bridge - this is a must-see, well worth it!
• 15 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) to the Chinook Trail in the Capilano Regional Park that loops around the Cleveland Dam back to the trailhead - a lovely, pristine, riverside trail - pools, ancient trees, Capilano Salmon Hatchery, and more (my favourite longer walk).
• 5 minute drive to the Capilano Salmon Hatchery - very interesting and close encounters with salmon (which are very tasty!).
• 10 minute walk (or 3 minute drive) to Edgemont Village - old-fashioned village that provides everything you need for your stay (except a candlestick maker!).
• 20 minute quiet walk or 5 minute drive to Murdo Frazer Park - pitch and putt and a little old wood cabin set on a duck pond - bring duck food - great fun for kids!
• 10 minute drive to Ambleside Beach, 10 minute drive to Third Beach in Stanley Park - this is our favourite beach and is wonderful for families with younger children.
• 10 minute drive to the Grouse Mountain Skyride to the peak - lots to do and great fun year-round. Or, instead of taking the Skyride, try the Grouse Grind - be warned, it's very tough! For the daredevils, Grouse and the North Shore offer unmatched mountain biking!
• 20 minute drives to Cypress and Seymour Mountains - good skiing and hiking. For the fitter types, try hiking from Cypress Bowl to the Lions along the Howe Sound Crest Trail - my favourite, more demanding, hike (when I was younger!) - the views are spectacular, particularly from the top of the West Lion.
• 40 minute drive to the Sea to Sky Gondola near Squamish on the road to Whistler. Fantastic views of the iconic Stawamus Chief, Howe Sound, and surrounding mountains - a new North Shore attraction and well worth a visit!
The transit and travelling location of our home is excellent:
• 2 minute walk to buses that service downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park, Lonsdale Quay, Grouse Mountain, and Horseshoe Bay.
• 10-20 minute drive to downtown Vancouver and Stanley Park over the Lions Gate Bridge.
• 1 minute drive to the Trans Canada Highway - gateway to Horseshoe Bay, Lions Bay, Squamish and Whistler to the north west; and the Seconds Narrows Bridge, Lynn Canyon Park and Suspension Bridge, Deep Cove, east Vancouver, Burnaby and the Fraser Valley to the east.
• south of Vancouver, including the USA, can be reached through downtown Vancouver or by the Second Narrows Bridge (avoiding downtown).
We have lived in our home since 1996 and are now empty nesters after our three children left to start their own independent lives. We are both retired professionals (financial executive and teacher) and we live in the two floors above the suite. We think that our suite is beautiful, and we wanted to share it with others.
We have four grandchildren who, like all children, are full of energy and can be rambunctious when they visit but, during your stay, we shall be as quiet as mice. (We, too, shall enjoy the quiet times for a change!).
Harry and Sally Sutherland purchased this house in 1996
We moved to the North Shore from the Vancouver west side in 1985 when we fell in love with the ambience of mountains, forests and water. We are not 'city' people and loved the quality of life the North Shore offered (while being in close proximity to the city). We came across this home in 1996 and it was love at first sight, and the romance continues.
Our home feels to us like a quiet country cottage set in the woods by the river, but yet it is within minutes of one of the most beautiful and livable cities in the world. It is tucked in a natural cedar and fir forest setting, with abundant native plant life. Despite the trees, it enjoys a great deal of sunshine, particularly as the sun sets in the afternoon and evening. Our home and deck faces south west, so it can get hot, but we have a partially shaded patio area that is cooler and a great place for the grandkids to play with water and generally get soaking wet!
I would highly recommend staying at this beautiful home that sits perched above the Capilano River in North Vancouver. We stayed there for about 9 weeks while our home was being renovated. Your friendly hosts will look after your every need. Sitting out on the front porch drinking a morning coffee or an afternoon glass of wine while gazing out at the lush green forest beside the meandering river below is a highlight. It is close to the Capilano Suspension Bridge and has easy access to Grouse and downtown. An excellent choice, for sure!!
If you prefer natural tranquility to urban bustle this is a great place to stay. We had a weekend wedding in North Vancouver and we managed to hike up Grouse Mountain and explore the breathtaking Capilano River Regional Park, both of which are just a few minutes drive away. The river runs right past this suite and the soothing sounds of rushing water and chirping chickadees was the soundtrack of our stay. It's also possible to be in Dowtown Vancouver via the Lions Gate Bridge in about twenty minutes. Our hosts had provided everything we needed and more. We would stay here again.
The house is close to everything we wanted to do (e.g., 5-min drive to Grouse Mountain/Salmon Hatchery and 5-min walk to the Capilano Suspension Bridge). The patio is very nice: one evening, we did a BBQ, ate at the patio, and enjoyed the view, water-flow sound and a complimentary bottle of wine (nice touch). One of my sons listed this stay as a highlight of our vacation. We will definitely come back.
The suite was newly renovated and had beautiful garden. We spent only 4 nights and really enjoyed every second. Open deck and garden let my kids to have a fantastic time. All amenities were available and CLEAN! Owners were very welcoming and helpful. This is the suite I would definitely book for my future family visits to Vancouver. If you have a family then this suite is perfect for you!
We really enjoyed our stay, the setting was just as described and very relaxing. The owners were very friendly and super helpful. A tranquil spot in the middle of a busy tourist area.
Our trip started out right and continued to just get better in large part to where we chose to stay. This site is beautiful and the accommodations in this home were perfect. My son and I were taking this trip to look for a little adventure and to spend some time together. If you and a friend or family member or two want a guaranteed great time this is for you. The location in North Vancouver gets you easy walking distance to the Capilano suspension bridge and a mile from the base of Grouse mountain and the gondola ride to the top. We elected to try the buses one day, although we had a rental car too, and took it into the city. The bus stops were right there and with a day pass you can go anywhere. When we came "home" we could sit on the patio to the sight and sound of the water cascading down the Capilano canyon. Everything worked in the kitchen and bath and were spotlessly clean.
My only hesitation in writing this review is that this great rental may not be available for my next visit with my wife. Thanks Harry and Sally. JG
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
3 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add C$30 per night, per additional guest|
Please note that the additional guest fee of $30.00 per night DOES NOT APPLY TO CHILDREN OF THE RENTER (high school or younger)! If the "Book It" system quotes the additional guest fee for your children, enter O children
Monthly rate by negotiation
Please feel free to call our home number for more information or any clarification 1-604-987-2832
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (CAD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.