COME STAY A SPELL at Lakewood Cottage, a fine vacation home with luxury amenities for up to 8 discerning vacationers, nestled in the only beach community adjacent to the Indiana Dunes State Park -- offering beach-going, hiking and biking trails and bird watching opportunities galore! Our home is a secluded retreat perched on top of one the area's famous wooded sand dunes with a 'treehouse feel' and 3 levels of outdoor decks to take in the gorgeous views -- all while still being a very short stroll to the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan!
OUTDOOR LIVING AND BEAUTIFUL VISTAS: From the moment you come through the front door, you will be struck by the “wall of windows” that brings the Dunes treetops right into the home in almost every room. The view will lead you out onto three levels of outdoor living space – 2000 square feet of decks -- where you can relax in our deck chairs or grill up a gourmet meal to enjoy al fresco. Although you will feel miles from civilization, you are only a short 5-10 minute walk to the fabulous beaches and hiking trails of the Indiana Dunes State Park and National Lakeshore beaches of Lake Michigan!
BEDROOMS: Lakewood Cottage accommodates up to 8 people in high style, in four sleeping room areas, each with comfortable queen-size bed and nice sitting area. And each sleeping area is nicely separated from the others by general use rooms (if not by floor). The Master Suite occupies the top floor, and has its own deck with café set for enjoying your morning coffee/tea/breakfast al fresco! The Library Suite has a separate sitting room stocked with great reads, and french doors to the lower level deck. Also on the lower level is the Canopy Bedroom which has beautiful wooded dune views and is adjacent to the lower level media room. The Sunroom sleeping area (on the main floor), when curtained off, boasts its own private screened-in porch and also has separate back deck access. All four sleeping areas have comfortable queen size beds (the Sunroom queen is a new hideabed). Each bed has at least 4 top quality pillows, too, and beautiful bedding for you to enjoy.
FINE AMENITIES: On the inside, this is a luxury retreat, stocked with all of the amenities you would expect in a fine hotel - and all of the comforts of a home: Beautifully designed furnishings, a gourmet cook’s kitchen, a wood burning fireplace, fine spa towels and beautiful bedding, river-rock shower and jetted tub (in the 'master suite'), a reading library (in the 'library suite'), and original art and artifacts. We even have a Steinway baby grand for visiting pianists! Please note that this is our actual home that we share with a few vacationers every year -- it is not a 'beach shack' type rental home with 'rental furnishings' -- we have left all of our nice things for you to enjoy while here.
OCCUPANCY: Because we wish to make sure that Lakewood Cottage remains a premium quality property for future discerning vacationers, we have a firm occupancy limit of 8 guests, and smoking and pets are not allowed. Lakewood Cottage is therefore an ideal spot for 2-4 couples vacationing together, a family vacation, a girls get-away, or even a small business retreat or workshop (we have a big table)! Whether you are interested in day-hiking, biking rails-to-trails, sunning at the beach, wine or craft beer touring, bird watching, visiting the numerous area weekend markets and the myriad unique antique/boutique shopping districts, we can direct you to great spots for all of these activities in the area.
ENTERTAINING: The inviting open floor-plan and warm, vaulted pine ceilings of the adjacent kitchen, dining room and fireplace/piano room let everyone feel together while being comfortably spread-out on the main floor. The screen-in porch, also on the main level, is a very special place to take in the vast dunes views. There is formal seating for 8 at the large cherry dining table, with wooded dunes views for miles. There are two media areas - one on the upper floor and one on the lower, each with ample seating, large-screen televisions (with Comcast cable and HBO) and DVD players.
COOKING IS FUN at Lakewood Cottage -- in our gourmet kitchen featuring Sub-Zero and Bosch stainless appliances, double-ovens, a wine refrigerator, and a cocktail bar area. (We can point you to all the best gourmet grocers nearby.) The kitchen is nicely stocked with everything you need for cooking and baking and dining (inside or out): Dansk and All-Clad cookwear, plenty of cooking utensils and small appliances (Cuisinart coffee station, slow-cooker, rice cooker, corn popper, toaster, mixer, etc.), indoor and outdoor dishware, cookware and serving pieces. The Weber gas grill is ready for you, too.
OTHER AMENITIES: We have tried to stock the house with most everything you will need to really take advantage of your vacation time; here are some other amenities we provide:
• High-speed WIFI throughout the house;
• Whole house audio with zoned music speakers on each floor and on the back decks (bring your iPod!)
• Beach towels, chairs, a beach umbrella and a picnic basket for your beach days;
• Hiking and biking trail maps;
• A library stocked with interesting reads;
• Two media room areas with large screen TVs, DVD players, Comcast cable and HBO;
• A selection of blockbuster DVDs, puzzles and board games; and
• Brochures and maps for our favorite spots.
WE CAN HELP GUIDE YOU . . . having lived – and entertained – in the area for nearly a decade, we are walking travel guides to this wonderful bit of hidden paradise.
HERE ARE A FEW OF OUR FAVORITE THINGS TO DO:
• Hike over 16 miles of trails right next door in the Indiana Dunes State Park (Trail #9 is our pick for Lake Michigan overlook views)
• Hike to the Summit of Mt. Tom, the highest sand dune in Indiana (also at the State Park)
• Fill up our picnic basket and walk down to the beach for the day, where you can swim in Lake Michigan, beachcomb for sea glass, and watch boaters and sailboarders. On a clear day, you can see the Chicago Skyline in the far, far distance.
• Sprawl out on one of 3 levels of decks with treetop views and listen to a ballgame or your favorite iPod music on the deck speakers
• Create a special meal in the gourmet kitchen
• Make an alfresco dinner on the grill and enjoy the miles of views
• Have cocktails and a wonderful Italian meal on the outdoor patio at Lucrezia Café, our favorite dining spot in the area
• Play a tune on our antique Steinway baby grand piano
• Don't miss the European Market in Chesterton on Saturday mornings!
• Have a full day of antiquing, boutiquing, and dining along the famous Red Arrow Highway (we can direct you)
• Bring your bikes and cycle on one of the Rails-to-Trails paths in the immediate area
• Curl up with a book from our library (& morning coffee or evening cocktail) in the screened porch
• Play a round of golf at The Brassie
• Have a nostalgic “Drive-In” experience: Dinner at The Port, followed by a movie at The 49’er Drive-In
• Keep our back deck feeder full and look for cardinals, goldfinches, indigo buntings, hummingbirds, & red-headed woodpeckers, all frequent visitors
• Visit the Taltree Arboretum in Valparaiso and check out the Model Train Gardens
• Try your luck at one of three area casinos: Horseshoe, Blue Chip, or Four Winds (each with memorable steakhouses)
• Have a “spa-day” at one of the many nice spas in the area (or order an in-home massage -- we can direct you to our favorite 'on-location' masseuses!)
ABOUT OUR SPECIAL NEIGHBORHOOD: The Porter Beach neighborhood, which is located in-between the Dune Acres and Beverly Shores neighborhoods on the coastline, is a real find: There are only 100 lucky homeowners in this subdivision -- which is bordered on the East by the Indiana State Dunes Park property (only 1 mile to the entrance), on the North by Lake Michigan, and on the South by the Indiana National Lakeshore Forest! Looking at a map, you will find it 'right in the middle of the green' -- so although you are just 50 miles away from Chicago, you feel nestled in nature.
Keywords: Indiana Dunes Cottage, Indiana Dunes State Park vacation rental, Indiana Dunes Beach, Luxury Rental Home, Luxury rental cottage, Premier Rental Home, Dune Acres, Beverly Shores, Ogden Dunes, Sheridan Beach, Long Beach, New Buffalo, Lake Michigan Rental Home, Lake Michigan Beach Rental Home, Lake Michigan Shoreline Cottage Rental Home
We both came to Indiana to find a peaceful retreat from our Chicago careers. But after meeting here and getting married, neither of us could part with our homes! So, we just recently decided to share our 'lake home' with others who are also looking for a peaceful and beautiful retreat to call home for awhile.
This property is one where you can lose time -- forget the outside world in this beautiful patch of seclusion. Please call us and we will share all of our 'must-sees' and 'must-dos' in the area.
Our home is unique in the Porter Beach neighborhood because of its ideal combination of 'treehouse privacy', luxury and access -- the beach and the Indiana Dunes State Park and National Lakeshore hiking trails are only 5 minutes from the front door.
Lakewood Cottage is a fine vacation home for discerning vacationers, a secluded retreat surrounded by treetop forested views while still being only a short walk to the sandy beaches of Lake Michigan!
The Porter Beach neighborhood, which is located in-between the Dune Acres and Beverly Shores neighborhoods on the coastline, is a real find: There are only 100 lucky homeowners in this subdivision -- which is bordered on the East by the protected Indiana State Dunes Park property (only 1 mile to the entrance!), on the North by Lake Michigan, and on the South by the protected Indiana National Lakeshore Forest! Looking at a map, it is nestled right 'in the middle of the green' -- so although you are just 50 miles away from Chicago, you feel secluded and wrapped in nature.
Porter Beach also enjoys a location that is closer than Beverly Shores or Dune Acres to the upscale dining, shopping and entertainment venues of Chesterton and Valparaiso.
Porter Beach also has the closest access to the South Shore Line train if you'd like to visit Chicago for the day, the Dune Park Stop is only 1 Mile from our home. There are lots of trains daily, and the 1-hour ride will deposit you right in the center of the Chicago lakefront tourist attractions: Millennium Park, all of the major museums, boat tours from Navy Pier, Segway Tours of the lakefront, fine dining, Grant Park Festivals and concerts are all right there in walking distance. You don't have to struggle with parking spots (or high parking fees) and best of all, you don't have to fight the traffic!
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event||Minimum Stay|
My Standard Rate
|Refundable damage deposit||$750.00|
|Property Damage Protection||$49.00|
|Notes||1. During High Season (May 1 - Sept. 30), there is a 4-night minimum stay, and rates vary by length of stay and day of the week.
2. During Low Season (Oct. 1 - April 30), there is a 3-night minimum stay, and the daily rate is $450/night. Fall & Spring are beautiful times to visit, with lots to do: Great hiking, fall festivals, wine tasting, shopping, etc! We have lots of literature on the area!
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.