save yourself a headache
We stayed for 10 days during Christmas. Overall a good stay. Cute little place furnished in CB2 style. Convenient location. Greatly enjoyed skiing on the lakes, which are 5 minutes walk. Unfortunately the impression of rental is largely negative. We do not recommend it to anyone, and otherwise urge caution for future renters. Here is why.
A few minor problems at move-in: 1) there was an informal agreement by email that we may arrive at 1pm, arrived at 2pm with the flight being late and were told to come back in an hour because official check-in is at 4pm. Spent time in a cafe, returned close to 4pm, place still not ready. It wasn’t a very warm greeting, and Faith made it sound she was unaware of previous correspondence. 2) the place had a strong odor which we interpreted as cigarette smoke - the owner explained that it was the aroma candles she asked cleaners to burn. If you are sensitive to smells, you may not like this. 3) some cleaning problems - bathroom and the kitchen sink drain were full of black hair, likely from a dog. Dog food left on the floor. 4) There was a lot of owner's personal items everywhere leaving very little space for our coats, toiletry or winter gear. For commercial rental it is an annoyance. 5) the very first day, toilet did not flush, had to fix the inside hook ourselves, twice - another minor (at that time) annoyance. 6) Also be prepared to answer a lot of phone calls and explain to every caller that you are renters and owner is away.
Then a major problem after we left - the deposit turned out to be non-refundable. The day before departure we asked that Faith comes the morning we leave to do a check out. She said she couldn’t be there and we need to leave the keys for cleaners. Then in an email Faith complained of “broken toilet base where screws come out.”, later sending a picture of a screw coming off, plus a claim the the toilet base was moved by an inch! That was completely out of the blue and sounded ridiculous. We were still in town and said we wanted to come in to verify the claimed damage. She answered there were other renters there already so we could not come. Furthermore, she suggested that our kids (6 & 9) unscrewed and moved the toilet.
If you are to stay in this place, we recommend that you demand full check-in and checkout inspection, take a note of anything broken before you move in, take pictures of everything, including places below toilet etc., or save yourself a headache and rent a different place.
Owner's Response: This reviewer has done a great job of identifying what not to do. For future renters, here's how I'd like things handled:
1. If any damage occurs, no big deal, just tell me about it. I've been a Property Manager for over 10 years, have seen it all, I'm very fair and everything can be worked out without tempers flaring.
2. If you decide not to tell me about the damage and I discover it, don't lie when I ask you about it. I know my properties well. All that does is cost me more money in contractor trip charges and wastes my time.
3. When I exercise my 30-days (in this case 1 week) to withhold the security deposit until I know the full extent of repairs, don't threaten me with a chargeback and a scathing review.
4. Don't lie in a review. People depend on these to accurately choose the place that's best for them. In the case of this guest, everything was 100% positive until I asked him about the toilet bolts being snapped off and the toilet being moved over by an inch.
5. Most importantly, if you're unhappy with accommodations, tell me right away. I've hired top-notch cleaners and they do a spectacular job, but if something's unsatisfactory, let me know about it.
To Max, I wish you well. In seven years, I've never had a dissatisfied renter. I hope you have better luck next time.
Helpful votes: 0/1
Did you find this review helpful?