Sullivan Cottage Rental Photos and Description
2 bedrooms, 2 baths w/ futon in LR (sleeps 4 to 6)
This secluded oceanfront cottage is located on Long Cove in Sullivan, Maine. The quarter-mile dirt driveway leads directly from US HWY 1 through 15 forested acres to the water's edge. The 1,100 foot shoreline is home to a wide variety of wildlife, including eagles, ospreys, seals, deer and the occasional red fox. This family retreat has served as a honeymoon cottage as well as a favorite vacation spot for family and friends.
Nestled between two groves of evergreens, the cottage's wrap-around deck and two large picture windows give visitors the chance to relax and witness the quiet of the cove, watching the changes that unfold as the tides rise and fall. Walks along the rocky beach at low tide and following paths through the woods are just what the doctor ordered to combat the stress of a hectic life. The sunsets are exquisite, and on a clear night the sky is so full of stars that it can be a challenge to identify the constellations amid the Milky Way. A birder's paradise and a historical piece of Sullivan history, the property is part of the Frenchman Bay Conservancy and is preserved as is for future generations to enjoy.
The surrounding area is renowned for hiking, biking, kayaking, sightseeing, antiquing, and visiting artists' studios. Nearby family restaurants that are favorites of the locals offer lobster and other Down East specialties. Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor are 45 minutes to the southwest, and Winter Harbor and the entrance to Acadia National Park's Schoodic Peninsula is 30 minutes to the northeast.
- non smoking only
- wheelchair inaccessible
- pets not allowed
About Susan Lindberg
Living too many miles from Maine, siblings Jim and Susan decided to make this special place on Long Cove in Sullivan, Maine, available to vacation renters during part of the year. Throughout their childhood, the owners spent two weeks of every summer together with their family at the Sullivan home of their maternal grandfather, affectionately known as 'Bumpa.' The current cottage was built in 1971 on the wooded lot across U.S. Highway 1 from the original homestead.
Those family vacations left us with wonderful memories, such as:
• riding with 'Bumpa' in an open 1946 Willys Jeep to the corner store for comics and ice cream before breakfast
• swimming at Flanders or Molasses Ponds on a hot summer day
• collecting shells, driftwood, and colored glass along the beaches at Sorrento
• 'bowling' with naturally rounded stones at Grindstone Neck
• hikes on Mt. Desert Island, Schoodic Mountain, and even Mt. Katahdin
• drives around the Park Loop Road to see Egg Rock, Thunder Hole, and Otter Cliffs
• watching the awesome power of the surf at Schoodic Point
• picking wild blueberries and raspberries for wonderful tastes of summer
• searching for the constellations and witnessing the Perseid meteor showers on crystal-clear nights.
Visitors to this special place on Long Cove will take their own memories along with them when they leave. We hope they will return to create still more for many summers to come!