West Dover Cabin Rental Photos and Description
Cabin, 3 Bedrooms, 2 Baths (Sleeps 6-8)
This log cabin was built in 1974, on land that has been in my family for many generations and abuts the Green Mountain National Forest and Mt. Snow. The cabin is situated on over 50 acres of private property, most of which is undeveloped and has conservation easements. There are endless opportunities for exploring the woods. It is about 3/4 mile from Mt. Snow and on the MOO-VER shuttle bus line.
We love our cabin, and it has many personal items, including original artwork and antiques, many books, comfortable-but-not-all-new furniture, and many games, puzzles and kids toys. This is not your typical rental cabin. This cabin is ideal for a family or for a quiet retreat by a single or couple, or two couples/families. Whether you enjoy hiking, skiing, star-gazing by an outdoor campfire, making meals together, sitting on the porch with a favorite novel, or curled up by the fireplace playing monopoly – this is the place for you. This house is also an ideal artist’s retreat, with six generations of family artwork sprinkled about.
Please be aware:
• There is no TV
• There is no dishwasher
• There is currently no wireless service – though I am working to get this set up
• There is cell phone coverage – but just remember you’re in Vermont; so it’s spotty.
• One bedroom downstairs with two single beds
• One “study” downstairs, with a single bed
• One “dormer” bedroom upstairs, with a queen bed
• One spacious master bedroom upstairs with a king bed
* One single bed on the balcony/loft
• Two bathrooms – one upstairs, one down
• Two porches – one entry, one for outdoor living: including Adirondack chairs, a hammock and outdoor speakers
• A full kitchen and dining room
• A cozy living room with vaulted ceiling and balcony
• A fireplace, with logs supplied
• A radio, and CD player, and laptop computer for viewing DVDs
• An iPOD deck/speaker player (bring your own iPOD or iPhone)
• A full basement and a washer/dryer
• Sleds and snowshovels
• A telephone in the kitchen for emergency and local calls only
• A Webber charcoal grill on the utility porch for BBQ’ing.
• A simple outside fire ring for campfires, star-gazing and making s’mores
The Rea Family Log Cabin is located on the mountain side Handle Road, on over 50 acres of private property, with conservation easements. Whatever the season, this is an ideal location for exploring the woods. There are old logging roads that can be explored, a brook behind the house, etc. There are no well-maintained trails behind the house – so bring your hiking boots or snow shoes! I find these woods very easy to hike in – even for young children. They are beautifully green and mossy and there are no hazards to speak of. It’s a wonderful place to find a special rock, or pick up a hiking stick, find newts, climb up a mountain brook, or build a fairy house in the moss. In the autumn, these woods light up with glorious colors – truly a sight to behold. In the winter, it’s a wonderful place to explore off-trail snowshoeing or cross-country skiing.
The house will be clean and ready for you when you arrive, with clean sheets and towels laid out for you. Bath soap and shampoo are supplied. All paper products are supplied. There are extra blankets in every bedroom, and extra sheets and towels in marked bins and in the downstairs hall closet. There are emergency first aid supplies in the bathrooms.
The house has an excellent local caretaker who also runs a concierge service that you may choose to use, if desired, to complete your vacation experience.
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
About Maria Rea
My parents built this home in 1974, on land that had been in the family for many generations. I enjoyed the house as a teenager and young adult - bringing friends up on ski weekends. Now I have my own family, and we spend summers and some winters here. I am happy to share this special place with you, and hope you enjoy all that our home and Mt. Snow and Southern Vermont has to offer.
Maria Rea purchased this cabin in 1974