Glen Rose Chateau / Country House Rental Photos and Description
2 Bedroom 1 1/2 Bath, 2.5 Stories, built in hot tub, on 880+ Picturesque Acres
Retreat yourself, inside and out! Use the indoor hot tub, sunshine deck, infra-red sauna, labyrinth and roam our 880+ acres, next to Fossil Rim!
Kasa Casa is our fun, offbeat, 'land-yacht' 2 bdrm/1.5 bath Spa House and sculpture garden with miles of trails, perfect privacy for couples, small families, artists (studio next door), and anyone wanting a get-away personal wellness/cleansing retreat.
Guests can see a small portion of the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center drive-through from the back yard, lucky visitors have seen giraffe browsing in the evenings!
This house was designed by a tinkerer, yacht builder and hot tub lover! We’ve built a studio next door for musicians, yoga enthusiasts, dancers and others to use. The main floor is an open area with the kitchen, conversation area, dining table and built in hot tub, recently updated by Marcia Bennett's 'Design Away' services. The hall leading to the upstairs also brings you to a half-bath and the laundry-workout room area with the infra-red sauna, and other equipment. Upstairs is the main bedroom with a door onto the sunshine deck, the full bath (shower only) and another living area with the wood-burning stove. The Crow’s Nest bedroom is perched over the living area. There is covered parking, and a covered patio with a huge Fossil Stone table and bench and propane grill. Jill Sablosky stone sculptures grace the labyrinth area in the front yard. Kasa Casa is just under a mile off the county road which takes you to Fossil Rim’s (free!) Overlook and into Glen Rose, but far enough off the road for quiet and solitude.
Kasa Casa is a great starting point to explore the 26 miles of trails on our organically and sustainably managed 880 acre Ranch and Sanctuary. At Kasa Casa you’ll find:
• About 1200 sq feet indoors in our multi-level spa house.
• Labyrinth, sculpture garden and enclosed studio just outside the front door
• Old ranch buildings and equipment nearby for fun photographic backgrounds
• 2 upstairs bedrooms with queen beds, and an extra single futon.
• An indoor hot tub
• 1 bathroom upstairs (no tub, the shower has multiple showerheads) and the ½ bathroom just up from the main floor.
• Central heat/air, 1 fireplace
• Dishes for 8, nicely equipped kitchen for cooking, preparing meals, gas stove and oven
• An outdoor gas grill, with propane.
• Indoor (1) and patio tables seat 6 people each.
• Ranch and nature adventures, tours and experiences are available by pre-arrangement. We’ll orient you to our trails for self-guided fun, or with reservations you can schedule activities with our naturalist and/or livestock manager (meet the goats, donkeys, and horses).
• We are pet and horse friendly. Our most remote guest house, Mata’zamo (see VRBO #3589655ha) has a 3 stall horse barn, 2 pens and a pasture right out the door, along with miles of trails, but it’s bring your own horse, and for Mata’zamo guests only!
• Well behaved and trained dogs that won’t go into the hot tub or harass the wildlife are welcome, since Kasa Casa is not fenced in, you'll need to keep your dogs on a leash.
• High speed internet is available, but we purposefully did not put any TVs in! We did include games, and a great selection of books. Kasa Casa’s library reflects our interest in healthy living, sailing, nature, philosophy, wildlife and a healthy landscape.
• We have a total of three guest houses available, spread out across the ranch. Each one is unique enough to provide a very different experience, and can be rented together for large groups, retreats and workshops. Habari (VRBO #432534) is our biggest guest house, with 5 bedrooms and extra futons to sleep as many as 16, it is great for larger groups. Mata’zamo (VRBO# 3589655ha) sits on one of our most spectacular overlooks, is our most remote house, great for singles couples or a family that want to lose themselves in the outdoors. It is also available for people bringing horses. All told we have 15 beds (king, queen and twins) and 6 futons between the three houses.
• Still reading? Ask about our reader’s discount on any of our rentals!
We welcome you in a way that feels like home away from home, you'll find familiar touches from your own kitchen, including tea, coffee, spices, paper towels, plastic bags - the basics, and maybe new things to try. One of our family/team members will meet you near our entrance, have you sign our ranch release, show you the maps and lead you to Kasa Casa.
We doubt you’ll want to leave, but if you do, we have a detailed list of local restaurants, can help you set up tours at Fossil Rim, and have information on other local attractions (we wouldn’t want you to miss Fossil Rim, Dinosaur Valley State Park, Glen Rose’s new Riverwalk and Big Rocks Park, shopping the Square’s antique stores, galleries, clothing stores, weekend farmer’s market and pie shop (plan ahead and order gluten free!!!). We’ll also send you information on our neighbors who can provide you with the organic foods they produce. If any of our own organic fruit trees, gardens or free-ranging chickens are producing food we can share, we’ll let you know.
With advance reservations and when our chickens are laying, you can tour our chicken coop and even gather your own eggs! When the timing is right, you might even find a culinary gift from our own naturalist and herbalist.
Our ranch has been managed organically for over twenty years, we keep our houses as non-toxic as possible, too.
We have naturalists, equestrians and a local caterer/provisioner available who can help you plan your days, or can even be hired for your own private nature camp experience!
It is easy to get lost at Kasa Casa and ranch, lost in thought, lost in time, lost from stress and the city life! All of this and just 90 minutes south of the Dallas-Ft Worth area! We invite you to stay at Kasa Casa or any of our three guest houses, it’s the best cure we know for nature deficit disorder!!!
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- Events Allowed
- wheelchair inaccessible
- pets considered
- not suitable for children
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters
- non smoking only
About Sandra Skrei
It's not about me, the owner! It's about this place and our neighbors, Fossil Rim! We have a great community of people who live on property year round and part time, any of which may be on hand to greet you! Two are former Fossil Rim educators, 1 is a sculptor, and another is a designer and sought after house/pet sitter!
Sandra Skrei purchased this chateau / country house in 1994
Why Sandra Skrei chose Glen Rose
We bought this ranch because we love Fossil Rim! It's more than being able to dash to their Overlook for a quick look at the giraffes (which we occasionally see along our mutual fence line), grab a bite to eat, buy a gift or visit their contact animal area. It goes beyond hearing the wolves at night. We are also giving them an 1,125 acre gorgeous buffer against development. Combine this with the organic beauty of the land, the opportunity to develop trails and respite spots on an area that is often covered in bluebonnets and other wildflowers, we count ourselves lucky indeed to live here. It is our pleasure to share this special beauty with all of our guests!
What makes this chateau / country house unique
This is your chance to capture the feeling of going back to a special time when our connections were with the land and each other instead of our phones and computers!