I have stayed at this place multiple times in various seasons, and hope to stay again and again. I have mixed feelings about writing a great review on this place because I want to be able to book it when I need it! I'm in love with Miller Beach, this house is right on the dunes in a great location. It's roomy, lots of great light, very functional house and very, very comfortable. Looking out the big windows from the second story is never-ending entertainment. Miller Beach is a hidden gem, I hope to own a piece of it myself some day soon.
The house is great for a couple or two, or a family with children. It's quiet, and the beach is right there for your enjoyment.
Things to note:
- Parking is a premium in the neighborhood.
- There are limited services in the immediate area, but the intersection of Shelby and Locust is beginning to thrive again with a coffee bar, the Flamingo pizza place/bar, the Ocean restaurant, and now the Miller Market is open from 6a to 9p for fresh produce, a mexican deli, and various staples with friendly service. Thrive Acupuncture (and massage) is also located there, a nice walk from the house. Also Lake Street is perking up, with Cafe 444 and Mr. B's Bakery recently opening. This weekend there was an Arts Festival with murals being painted all over downtown Miller - great vibe here.
- It's close to the Calumet trail if you like to bike ride, a nice ride up the coast to Michigan for wineries, great burgers and shopping. There's plenty of mall action in nearby Merrillville if you're jonesing for shopping as well as a great concert venture at the Star Plaza.
- There are some awesome houses relocated from the 1933 World's Fair in Chicago up the road in Beverly Shores. Very modern even in this day and age.
- Take a scenic ride to Valparaiso for quaint shops and restaurants.
- You are less than one hour by car to downtown Chicago, one hour by train. There are rail stations in Gary and nearby Ogden Dunes.
The house is comfortable with vintage 70s decor, a spiral staircase to the living area upstairs, and plenty of bathrooms to serve! I can't wait to come back to Miller Beach and stay here.
Did you find this review helpful?