This charming south facing house overlooks the Atlantic Ocean and is within a short walk from the historic centre of Funchal.
Casa Maravista has three bedrooms and a lovely garden with a belvedere over the seashore where outside dinning can be enjoyed and barbecues are frequently held. The villa is comfortably furnished, including an indoor and outdoor dining area and two separate sitting areas. The kitchen is equipped with many appliances, including a dishwasher.
There is a spacious dining room, television area and much to recommend the setting for sun-seekers looking for a calm holiday.
The large swimming pool is private, for the exclusive use of guests staying at the house and there are several sun loungers available.
Rooms are spread over two floors, with one double bedroom and two bedrooms with twin beds (2 single beds) located on the top floor and ground floor.
We provide guests with all linen and towels needed during the stay.
This is an ideal family house, comfortable and very sunny, perfect for a relaxed holiday.
Thank you Maria and all who made our stay at Casa Maravista such a pleasure. We long to return next year and highly recommend this precious house for anyone looking to have a comfortable, spacious base in Funchal with the seaside as a constant companion.
This was a surprise holiday for my mother and she loved every moment, but the house really made our trip.
We are a young family, who fell in love with Madeira, it's gentle people and easy climate. Living between Madeira and London is the perfect combination and we wanted to share our pleasure with other likeminded travellers, creating Casa Maravista to welcome you to Funchal.
Originally constructed by an English settler to the island, Casa Maravista is a blend of the traditional with a modern style, combining modern comforts with the historical foundations. Local architecture is greatly influenced by the colonial style, with many houses built for engineers and tradesmen who lived on the island from the UK in order to trade in wine and agricultural produce, benefiting from the islands climate and proximity to Europe.
A charming belvedere overlooking the seashore is very popular with our guests for evening meals and our south facing pool has delighted many a sun worshiper staying with us during the winter months.
The property is in the historic centre of Funchal, called the 'Old Town', near many restaurants and shops. Guests can walk down the street for dinner or for a swim in the Barreirinha Sea Pools.
Nearest grocery store 100 metres away. This is a very peaceful and quiet villa in the centre of the town.
• Restaurants: For fish, “Gavião Novo” (best restaurant in town), “Marisa” and “Jango”. For meat, “Taberna da Esquina”. For rice “Riso”. Other popular restaurants: “O Forte”, “O Armazém do Sal”, “Sabor a Fado”, “O Tapassol”. All of them in less than 5/10 minutes.
• Pastries: “Penha d’ Águia” (2 minutes): try delicious “queijadas” and “pastel de nata”.
• Bars: “Espanada da Barreirinha” (10 minutes): for a pre-dinner drink with sunset views. “Venda Velha” and “Mercearia da Poncha” to drink the most famous Madeira drink, the Poncha. Don´t miss those with maracujá and tangerine.
• “Barreirinha” beach (10 minutes): A public beach providing a solarium at the sea level.
• “Socorro Church” (10 minutes) also known as “The Santa Maria Maior Church”:
• Rua de Santa Maria (4 minutes) – Strolling through the narrow streets you can enjoy some of the old culture that's left in this particular part of town. A lot of the old constructions still exist, some of which have been transformed into typical restaurants and bars. In addition, there is a new attraction, the “Arte de Portas Abertas”, which is a public art program to transform the Old Town in permanent outdoor art gallery, displaying over 200 works of art, by guest artists, painted on Rua de Santa Maria’s doors.
• Mercado dos Lavradores (3 minutes) – The Farmers Market is a must see! It is one of the highlights that Madeira has to offer, where all the scents, the colours, the flavours and tradition are combined to delight those who visit it.
Built in 1939, in a gracious combination of 'art deco' and modernism.
Here you will find the very best of the Island. Fresh exotic fruits, vegetables, fish and flowers in a very picturesque setting.
The flower sellers are dressed in the typical, joyful Madeiran costume in bright colours, which again add vibrancy to this magical place.
Inside, there are two floors and a huge central courtyard, where vendors engage in a direct and personalized sale of day-to-day products. You will even be allowed to do a bit of tasting before you buy (A popular exotic fruit to taste is a cross between a maracuja and a banana).
At the back section, you will find the fish market. Here you will see fish freshly caught (some are brought in still alive) from all over Madeira. Well known will be the black scabbard fish with its huge eyes, razor sharp teeth and long eel like body.
Taste, smell, vivid colours, fun and tradition!
• Forte de São Tiago (8 minutes) and the Museum of Contemporary Art - The beautiful Forte de Sao Tiago that was used to protect the city of Funchal from possible invasions is also at the old town. The fort has nice small watchtowers and sentinel boxes from the XVII century.
• Madeira Story Centre (5 minutes) – A modern museum about the history and culture of Madeira. The Madeira Story Centre will take you on a journey through the great historical events in Madeira, from the volcanic formation to the days of Dom Henriques, the first landing of a sea air-plane, Napoleon and Churchill.
• Cable Car (6 minutes) - This is an exciting way to show Madeira's hidden beauty gliding over some of the wonderful landscapes of Madeira.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
Jul 1 2014 - Sep 1 2014
7 night minimum stay
My Standard Rate
6 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add €20 per night, per additional guest|
|To secure the reservation we require a down-payment of 50% of the rental amount due paid via bank transfer in either Euro's or Sterling, with the remaining balance to be paid up to one month prior to arrival at Casa Maravista.|
|Notes||Rates are all inclusive with no extra charges.
Deposit 50% of rental amount due.
Last minute rates for 2 guests from 770 Euro/ week
Rates quoted are from 2 guests, unless stated
Extra cost per person euro/night, depending on season.
We can provide a baby cot and high chair if needed for free. Please note we have no baby security gates.
We accept Credit cards via PayPal only, with a 3.5% char
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (EUR) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.