|Minimum Stay||2 nights|
1-2 people: 7 nights, only $665/wk
3-4 people: 7 nights, only $950/wk
1-2 people: 4-weeks, only $2,000/mo
3-4 people: 4-weeks, only $2,500/mo
Tax (totaling 13.416%) and departure cleaning (minimum $125) additional. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Fully refundable security deposit for damages applies to all reservations.
Minimum charge of 1 week for special rates to apply. You may elect to stay fewer nights, but must pay 7 night minimum charge. For example, 4-6 nights costs $665 + tax and departure cleaning.
This house is an exceptional value, and OUR RATES ARE VERY LOW. NO FURTHER DISCOUNTS APPLY.
Located on the same side of the street as the ocean (NOT across the street from the ocean), the Orchid cottage has limited views and easy access to the whitewater coastline. Walk along the coast in either direction or fish from the cliffs. Soothing sounds of the waves crashing along the shoreline can be heard day and night. This spacious 1-bedroom 1-bath house is an affordable accommodation for an individual or couple who wants to be near the ocean. Very clean and exceptionally well appointed. Kitchen, full-sized washer/dryer, high speed internet (WiFi), cable TV, etc.
The Orchid house is located south of Hilo town. An easy 25-30 minutes drive to the Volcanoes National Park. Close to Big Island Hawaii guest activities and the warm pond swimming area (about 15 minutes by car). Approximately 25 minutes drive to Hilo swimming, snorkeling, and surfing beaches. Extended stays preferred, but shorter stays accommodated based on availability.
OTHER HILO OCEANFRONT HOMES AND BEACH HOUSES:
We offer a nice section of 2-4 bedroom vacation rental homes located RIGHT ON THE OCEAN OR FRONTING THE BEST HILO BAY BEACHES IN HILO TOWN. Call for our private web site or for more information on our other homes.
Keywords: cottage, apartment, condo, house, home
This property was very clean, and stocked to the minimum. There were a few minor issues and misrepresentations though:
1. No view, unless you count the house and the shed next door. Also, no oceanfront access whenever someone is staying at the house that is oceanfront. (They don't seem to like strangers tromping through their "back yard.")
2. Strong musty/mildew odor. If you keep the fans running all the time it is very bearable--but allergy issues for me.
3. Most of the shops/grocery stores in Pahoa are now CLOSED due to the impending lava flow. (Was about 500-1000 yards uphill from the Longs Drugs shopping center when we were there.) The 7-11 is still open, but poorly stocked since it is the only game in town anymore. The nearest stores in the other direction (Keeau) is about a 45-minute drive due to road construction, unless you go before 7am or after 6pm.
4. Bring lots of your own water. The water from the property rainwater system will give you gastrointestinal issues unless you boil it. (We learned this the hard way.)
5. Bring your own flashlights. You'll need these for when the power goes out. There are no flashlights at the property. (The power went out 6-8 times on us, even when it wasn't particularly windy.)
6. There's no water supply when the power goes out, (it is all on a electric pump system, and the owner has no emergency power backup) so this means you get exactly one toilet flush, and no sink supply. Just keep this in mind.
7. Bring dish soap if you plan to cook more than once. They supply about 1-2 meals worth of soap to wash the dishes with.
8. The "King" size bed is actually two mattresses shoved together, and you can feel the mattress springs poking through your back. Perhaps bring an air mattress to use if this might bother you.
9. The water pressure is amazing, but be sure to dial it wayyy back for the shower, otherwise you have about 5 minutes of hot water, maximum.
10. For your evenings: the "High Speed" wireless is actually quite slow, 12Mbps maximum. It takes 18 hours to download a single 120-min standard def movie. Don't even think about streaming video. If you're patient, you can check your email with the wireless, but since there's no password protection on the wireless, you're not very secure. There's a few books and a couple games at the house, if you don't bring your own entertainment.
11. The furnishings are all old/warped/rusting but certainly adequate. Washer/dryer was nice.
12. Bring DEET. Lots of mosquitos.
We stayed in the ginger house, nice large rooms and clean. Being so close to the ocean, the humidity is high. The first night we didn’t know what the rumble was every few seconds. But the next morning when we walked to the ocean cliff we understood, the pounding of the waves on the lava rocks. It was so beautiful. If you like being far for the busyness of the cities this is the perfect place for you. It isn’t far from the town but you will feel far. It’s like being in cottage country. That said, if you’re attached to your cell phone, most probably it won’t work, Emergency Service Only. But Wi-Fi is available.
I would definitely recommend this rental if you’re a nature buff. We fallowed the shores on small roads we found on our GPS. The sceneries were wonderful, from rain forest to lava rock fields in seconds at through the island. Thank you for allowing us to stay in this home.
Catherine et Glen from Blainville, Québec, Canada
We loved the house. Although a long drive to Hilo (thanks in part to construction), there is plenty to do and see in the Puna area. Keeau is close and has a good grocery store, natural food store, hardware store plus a McDonald's if you need one (ick). Plus a good fresh food market...smaller than Hilo but still a good one. Pahoa has a bigger health food store, Natural Pantry, that is GREAT! Be sure to drive out to the end of Hwy 132 to see the beaches, Isaac Hale is great for watching surfers, and at Kalapana, you can see the palm trees sprouting EVERYWHERE out of the old lava flows. And don't forget to walk to the end of the street the house is on (south, I think?)...It is a great place to walk across the lava rocks and explore tide pools and sit in the sun and watch the HUGE waves hit. Trips to Hilo, if planned around morning and evening rush hours, are great since there is so much to do in Hilo. And the people are so friendly everywhere! From here, trips all around the island are easy. So much to do and so little time to do it. It was WONDERFUL to have a comfortable and beautiful home base to start from. And going to sleep with the crashing waves was delightful. Next time though we'll wait til whale season. Thank you Richard!
House was nice. Loved the ocean, wish there was air conditioning for at least night. Had a gecko friend, there is stairs if that is a problem. (not conveyed) House was very clean JUST DO NOT leave food out. ants will come visit too. Even crumbs.
Great value! A lot of house for money. Perfect for a couple. It was easy to get into the 'go Hawaiian' mode and go barefoot as soon as we got there.
Secluded with lots of lush tropical vegetation in a quiet neighborhood. Although the wildlife can get a bit raucous at night. Even though not a direct ocean view, this was an easy remedy to walk 100 feet and have instant ocean. The lava "beach" was way cool, nice to sit at the cliff and watch the ocean and to hike along and explore the lava beach.
Also nice to listen to the ocean at night in bed.
We saw geckos on the wall, friendly visitors in my opinion. Good luck as I understand from the locals.
House was comfortable and bigger than I anticipated. Clean and had everything we needed. Location not an unreasonable drive back to Hilo, and a great location for getting to Volcano National Park.
Owner responsive and helpful with any questions I had.
We found the house to be clean and comfortable. The TV sound needs updating, the window shades need to be replaced. It was spacious for two people, however, we missed being able to see the ocean. We would stay there again. The travel book you told us about was so helpful. We found a newer edition at Costco and bought one for ourselves...just in case we can come back.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Notes: Rates are based on 2 guests; add $25 per night, per additional guest|
|Notes||Please don't waste your money on Damage Protection.|
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.