The lakefront has a shaded area with a bonfire ring and picnic table, as well as a sunny dock. You can borrow the owner's kayak and row boat (with oars), or use the floats/tubes, extra chairs, and life preservers that are kept in the boat shed. There's something for everyone, including swimming, boating, kayaking, floating/lounging in the sun, long walks along a dirt road through vineyards, fishing, and romantic evenings watching the sun set and drinking local wine.
- luxurious bathroom with whirlpool tub
- fully stocked kitchen with microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker, and cooking/eating utensils
- satellite TV in living room
- high speed internet
- air conditioning
- clean linens provided
- clothes washer and dryer
- 50 feet of lake frontage
- parking for two vehicles
- queen-size bed in bedroom, twin-size bed in main room, and full-size pullout futon sofa in living room
- deck facing the lake with a comfortable patio set and gas grill
- the lakefront has a shaded area with a bonfire ring and picnic table, as well as a sunny dock. You can borrow the owner's kayak or row boat, or use the floats/tubes, life preservers, and extra chairs that are kept in the boat shed
- access to the lake frontage from the yard is by way of a sturdy staircase or by a short road that goes around the neighborhood (about 1/4 mile to our frontage). The staircase has about 70 steps. The run for the steps is 11 inches, which is nice, and there are three decks with benches, in case anyone needs to rest or wants to see the view. It's also very handy to be able to drive down if you're carrying coolers, towels, suntan lotion, or are taking some small kids down all at once. The road is for limited use, especially on busy weekends, but it is there when you need it.
Attractions and Activities:
- wine tasting
- mountain biking
- water skiing
The surrounding area is incredibly dense with wineries overlooking the lake. You can have a great time touring the area and tasting wines. THERE ARE MORE THAN 10 WINERIES AND A BREWERY WITHIN A 10 MINUTE DRIVE, AND ONE WINERY WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE. The property is 15 minutes from Watkins Glen, home of the Watkins Glen International Race Track and the Watkins Glen Gorge. At the Glen Harbor Marina, take a ride on Captain Bill's Sightseeing Boat, the Seneca Legacy Dinnercruise Boat, or the Malibar/True Love Sailboat. Our cottage is also surrounded by the Finger Lakes National Forest, with hiking trails. You-pick fruit orchards and honor-system fruit and vegetable stands are available frequently during the summer and fall. Skyland Farm, a fine-craft gallery with items from 500+ artists and a feeding farm, is a must-see. The cuisine in the area is delicious with dining atmospheres ranging from casual to elegant. Many of the restaurants offer local, farm-fresh foods. Two miles across the lake, the Rainbow Cove Restaurant has slips for boats.
Here are some of the local events:
- Finger Lakes Wine Festival, July
- Nascar races at Watkins Glen International Racetrack, Watkins Glen, NY
- Lodi Bluegrass Festival, October, Lodi, NY
For those willing to drive a little farther, other attractions include the Museum of the Earth, which is 30 minutes away, and Ithaca, NY (a 40 minute drive), with many musical venues and a wide variety of international cuisine. The Corning Museum of Glass as well as the Rockwell Museum are also 40 minutes away in Corning, NY. Some of the festivals and events held in the area include the following.
- Blue Heron Music Festival, July, Findley Lake, NY
- Grassroots Music Festival, July, Trumansburg, NY
- Sterling Renaissance Festival, part of July and August, Sterling, NY
- Festival of the Arts, July, Corning, NY
- Grape Festival, September, Naples, NY
- Cohocton Fall Festival, October, Cohocton, NY
- Annual Apple Festival & Craft Show, October, Schodack, NY