Sanibel Island Cottage Rental Photos and Description
The Perfect Beach Cottage, with a pool and 5 minute walk to the warm Gulf waters
WELCOME to our fresh, bright & clean & classic 'Old Florida' Beach Cottage.
Phone calls welcome until 10pm EST - Email answered every weekday morning. Calendar & rates are up to date. We only have 2 rates (1 for warmest months & 1 for coolest months).
The most frequent questions.....
- Our Cottage is rented monthly, but as we often use it we may be able to rent it to you for dates different than the calendar appears - so ALWAYS write first - you never know!
- 'Is a true cottage?' Yes. It was moved in the 1950's back away from the Gulf beach. It is NOT a duplex or townhouse. There will be no one above, below or on the 'other side of the wall'. Great privacy. Classic wood walls, Florida windows & bright.
- Unlike many calendars - ours is updated daily. If you are looking at dates they are available today.
- Our (heated) pool is only a few steps from the back door (not the pool at the recreation center - which is lovely but a drive...) It is one of only 2 true old Florida beach cottages on the island with a pool and a tennis court. The deck is brand new.
- The beach is a short walk. The famous 21 mile Sanibel path is right out your front door. Your kid will make it in a 1.5 minute bike ride door to sand. It may take you 3-5 minutes to catch up. Use `Google street view` to see exactly how short your walk would be! Also one of our photos is taken right from bike path that shows you distance from the cottage to the Holiday Inn, down the street (right on the water & a great place for a 1st night cocktail or dinner) then stroll home....
Just down the street from the Gulf of Mexico, our (fun/clean/easy) beach cottage offers the best of two worlds - your own cottage but part of a small home association with a fantastic pool & tennis court, on 4 acres of gracious, lush, quiet grounds with mature tropical trees. No one walking past your door (or worse smoking outside it).
A quiet oasis on Sanibel, but close to everything.
Our cottage is perfect for everyone, but especially couples, people with a 1-2 children or grandchildren or friends visiting! While it does sleep 6 nicely, futons are not as comfortable as beds - so it's best suited for the month for 2 to 4 with occasional guests like children or grandchildren on the futons. All beds are brand new and the star is a Tempur-Pedic king (no eating or drinking in bed!)
Your own cottage, no shared walls. All yours.
An Unusual 5 places to relax outside!
1. the FRONT PORCH open air. Perfect for evening cocktails
2. the SCREENED IN BACK PORCH. Perfect for morning coffee. naps, looking over the pool or waiting for the cook to come back from the (excellent Weber) BBQ
3. the POOL DECK. Chaise, chairs and dining tables and (we have lunch by the pool most days we are on Sanibel). Newly designed and installed paver decking & patio furniture (Summer 2014)
4. the PICNIC TABLES. Right near the GRILL and of course.....
5. the BEACH.... just down the street.
Tennis court - newly resurfaced 2011
Rinse shower in front of house - helps keep the house clean and the beer cooler ready.
Hot & cold shower in back - the finest shower in the world if you ask us!
Two full bathrooms
Sanibel's famous bike path-- just outside our door.
Walk to the Jac or Matzaluna for dinner
Hit the Dairy Queen for a `dip` then walk over to Periwinkle Campground and say hello to the birds
Close to the premier bike rental places with our own beach clunkers thrown in for free.
A big old box of everything: sand toys, boogie boards umbrellas umbrella stand, shovels & pails, and even POOL RAFTS and some decent tennis racquets.
Games, toys, the classic paperback book stack, some decent DVD's, videos, and small diverse music library.
Audio wire to a fantastic stereo system for your MP3 & Smart phone playlists!
Entertaining items (champagne, wine, water, margarita & cocktail glasses, ice bucket, interior & exterior tablecloths, candle holders lobster pots, etc). One of us is a professionally trained cook so we have lots of kitchen toys.
This is a true cottage (and it's pretty darn cute). It even use to sit on the beach in the 1950's. It is clean. We feel it's very comfortable & graceful in it's dotage. HOWEVER it is NOT perfect and it is NOT brand new (there are no Corian counter tops, stainless steel appliances, Sub-Zeros refrigerator or modern new furnishings - although the household goods are all quality and fresh).
This is more like borrowing your family's old beach house.
Not for everyone but PERFECT for some.
You know who you are....
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- Low Allergen Environment
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
- suitable for elderly or infirm
We live in NYC. We are both in non-profit health care and we're from NY and Ohio originally. We rented as adults for the first time in 2008 and then for several years before we bought the Shellbox Cottage.
Frank purchased this cottage in 2011
Why Frank chose Sanibel Island
The cottage was designed by an architecture student as his graduation thesis. His parents were early developers on the Island and his mother refused to destroy the house, so it was saved and moved to its location. It's a great cottage - interesting and efficient layout, bright, old wood walls that still smell like the beach and it belonged to the islands first real estate agent.
What makes this cottage unique
Several real estate agents tried to steer us to the west end, which we love for it's seclusion but we really fell in love with the Sanibel Shores area. The entire island is a joy....don't misunderstand us - but we loved the way the streets run north south here and we liked the convenience of riding our bikes to the Dairy Queen, the liquor store or a stroll home from Matzaluna or the Lazy Flamingo. We also think of ourselves and environmentalists so we see how many days we can go without using our car and this is the perfect part of the island for that. It's also kind of a romantic area in a way, so it's good for our soul.