Wildwood Resort is build on the site of an old fish hatchery, and was purchased by the Chicago mafia in the 50’s as a place to get out of town and “cool off” when things got too hot in Chicago (and I don’t just mean temperature :-). The old resort was converted into individual ownership beginning in 2006, and is a really unique opportunity for accommodations in the Gunnison Valley.
The cabinettes offer the most affordable long term rental opportunity in the Valley, and their quaint, log siding and traditional metal roofs give you the full “mountain feel”. The units are small at just 337 square feet, but have a kitchen with an oven/range, a full size refrigerator, microwave/ventihood and everything you need to cook a gourmet dinner. There is a queen size bed, a built in chest of drawers, another easy chair and an overstuffed loveseat, a small kitchen table with pop up wings to seat 4, and a private bathroom with a walk in shower. The unit also offers linens, dishes, pots and pans, a new flat screen TV with free cable, and free WIFI. What else do you need?
You aren’t coming to Gunnison to lay around your condo, you’re coming to enjoy our magnificent outdoors, so why spend a fortune on accommodations that you are really only going to use for an afternoon nap or for a short evening (it get dark at about 9:30 pm here in the summer). Stay affordably in our Wildwood Condo and spend the rest of your money on float trips or dining in our many great restaurants, on guided fishing or jeep trails or shopping in the many quaint shops downtown.
Situated on the western edge of Gunnison and in a park-like setting, Wildwood gives you a rural feel but is in walking distance to both the Gunnison River and town. There are bbq grills and picnic tables right out your front door if you want to do a cookout, a screened cabana room for sitting outside playing cards or getting out of the condo to read a book or work on your laptop, fire pits to sit around on a cool summer night and a laundry room on site, so you can still multitask with the best of them.
So whether you are coming for a week, a couple of weeks, a month or to spend the whole summer, make our Wildwood Resort condo your annual “home away from home” in the Great Gunnison Valley!
Keywords: Quaint, cozy, cabinette, close to town and the Gunnison River. Fully furnished kitchen, cable TV, telephone, WIFI, picnic table with bbq grill, common screened in porch, laundry room on site, great base of operation for fishing, hiking, float trips, horseback rides, biking, jeep touring, 4 wheeling, hunting, and enjoying those cool Colorado days and nights. Perfect for a single person or couple in this fully furnished efficiency unit looking for an affordable longer term rental. Stay a week, a month or the whole summer!
Gunnison is the best kept secret in Colorado, and you can spend an entire summer and not get it all done:
Gunnison County is the size of the State of Connecticut, but with 87% public lands there are literally millions of acres of open space, jeep and 4-wheel trails, hiking trails, rivers, lakes, world class wildflowers, exceptional wildlife viewing, and recreational opportunities that will capture your time for the whole summer.
Home of Western State College creates a youthful influence and enthusiasm that is contagious. With all of the activities surrounding the college and the economic influence it has on the community, we benefit in the coffee houses, concerts and educational opportunities not available in any other ski valley in Colorado.
With the 3rd longest airport in Colorado, Gunnison County Airport has daily commercial service from Denver, easily connecting you to the world from an easy flight right out of town.
Of the 4 + million people living in Colorado, only a little over 400,000 live on the Western Slope, so Gunnison is very sparsely populated, with only 4 people per square mile, as compared to 25 people per square mile in the Vail Valley.
Gunnison Valley Hospital offers state of the art healthcare for the area, and if you have a serious issue, care flight service to Grand Junction can get you to specialists in minutes.
Blue Mesa Reservoir is located 10 miles west of Gunnison, the largest lake in Colorado, stocked with Kokanee Salmon and boasting the record Lake Trout of Colorado. You also have Taylor, Spring Creek, and Needle Creek Reservoirs, as well at hundreds of miles of rivers and creeks open to public fishing, with numerous Gold Metal Fishing waters.
Gunnison Valley is in a big bowl surrounded by 12,000 foot peaks, sandwiched between 3 National Forest Wilderness areas, so you are guarantee warm days and cool nights.
Ever go to a place and in 3 days you are bored and wondering what to do next? That won’t happen to you in the Gunnison Valley:
1. With all of the public land, you can take a jeep or road trip every day and not see the same country twice.
2. Hiking trails? There are so many there is a book you buy at the local book store that tells each trail, how difficulty level, how long it is and what you’ll see along the way. You’ll come back from vacation way more fit than when you got here.
3. The tourist traffic affords us some outstanding dining opportunities not usually found in similar size towns, and you’ll LOVE the local cuisine.
4. Shopping, we have some of the greatest little shops in town, and not a mall or big box store in site.
5. If you are into the arts, there is something going on almost nightly. There are Art Centers at both ends of the valley offering art shows, plays, musical events, classes on everything from watercolor to pottery to wildflowers, and everything is very affordable.
6. About every weekend there is a car show, art festival, music festival, art crawl, rodeo, or something going on, and several nights a week there is music in the park in either Gunnison or Crested Butte or both.
7. We have some of the best whitewater and float trips in Colorado, whether you are a fisherman or an adrenaline junky.
8. Bring your bike, because most of our streets in towns and highways have bike trails and lanes, and most people use bikes as their main form of transportation.
9. Like to fish, we have it all…great lakes, rivers, and streams, and they are all stocked and brimming with all kinds of trout and salmon.
10. This is also a great “jumping off” spot for the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, the Colorado Wine Country, the old mining towns of Lake City and Pitkin, and many other day trips that are just an hour or two away.
And that is just a start of all of the great things to do in the area, you'll have to come and find the rest on your own!!
The Gunnison Valley offers two great golf courses, miles of gold metal fishing waters, close to the largest lake in Colorado, the Blue Mesa Reservoir with kokanee salmon and the record lake trout, many other stocked lakes, rivers and creeks. Gunnison County is the size of the state of Connecticut but is 86% public land, with literally millions of acres of open hiking, biking, jeeping, 4-wheeling, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying the scenery. The town has a lively art scene with music, festivals, art exhibits, shopping, two movie theaters, and something going on almost every night. But it is off the beaten track, so you don't have to wait through 3 traffic lights to turn or stand in line an hour at the grocery store. If you are looking for that perfect summer location to enjoy the cool mountain air, at a reasonable altitude of 7,700 feet but with plenty of high mountains nearby to play in, this just may be your perfect summer destination...it sure was for us!!
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event||Minimum Stay|
|Discounts: 14 nights or more: $50 Nightly|
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay. Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.