The Historic Pines Ranch is a gorgeous 187 acre mountain retreat hidden away at the base of Mt. Gibbs in the Sangre de Cristo mountain range; just 8 miles from the scenic town of Westcliffe, Colorado. Open since the late 1800’s the Pines ranch has welcomed guests from around the world.
We offer affordable family friendly rates and we welcome vacationers and Groups up to 28 in size during the summer months (May through September) and up to 10 during the winter months (October through April) weather depending.
We are a spectacular location for Weddings!
Our unique ranch atmosphere combined with breathtaking views of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and Wet Mountain Valley offer a stunning 360 degrees of pure Scenic Overload!
Our altitude is 8,667 and we boarder the San Isabel National Forest with private access to over 2 million acres of wilderness area providing outdoor adventurers with many great activities from summer time hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing and hunting to winter time snowshoeing or cross country skiing. Wildlife viewing is abundant year around!
This ideal location was a guest ranch for many years and has much to offer.
• Comfortable, Family Style Cabin Lodging
• Our Seasonal Amenities include a Large Dance Hall/Western Saloon with room for groups up to 150!
• The Knotty Pines Dining Room/Kitchen offer seating for 65 with kitchen area cooking access for large groups or catered events.
• The Seasonal on site Hot Tub and Sauna Room Building is THE place to ease away your stress and leave you feeling relaxed!
• The Outback Picnic area provides an in-ground and propane grill as well as picnic tables and portable seating for your cooking-out needs.
• Access to the Rainbow Trail and over 100 miles of mountain trails is just a few minutes away for hiking and horseback riding.
• You are welcome to bring you own horse or we can arrange a trail riding package for you that leaves right from the ranch.
• Biking, fishing and nearby lakes are also a feature of this location as is nearby whitewater rafting and ATV tours.
• If you are a hunter we offer guided hunting packages for Elk during the fall.
• There is onsite treasure hunting for old Calvary bullets, canon balls and Indian artifacts available.
• Another unique onsite feature is one of the first 'Kit' homes sold by Montgomery Wards. Fully restored, The Lodge dates back to 1892 and is an interesting piece of the ranch's history. We encourage all visitors to tour the house!
• The ranch property features two ponds with catch and release fishing.
• The town of Westcliffe offers many fun summer activities (High Peaks Music Festival, Westcliffe Rodeo and Western Days, Plays in the Park, 4th of July Festival and Car Show and many other fun events).
We urge you to visit our website (thehistoricpinesranch.com) for further information on the Fun Activities and One of a Kind Amenities our ranch has to offer. Also SEE the 'Links To More Information' area near the bottom of this page to click through to our site.
The Cusack's Cottage.
(Open year around)
This lovely home is a two story house that can be maintained as two seperate, fully contained apartments (2-5 people each) or can be opened up for large groups (8-10 people) to share.
Each apartment is beautifully furnished with large open living rooms and dining areas, two bedrooms per apartment offer a master bedroom with Queen bed and second bedroom with two double beds. Additional sleeping is accommodated by roll out cot.
Each apartment is equipped with a charming kitchenette that offers a two burner stovetop, fridge, microwave, toaster and coffee pot, (no ovens in either unit). Cookware, dishes, silverware and glasses are also provided.
The Cusack’s Cottage has a large southwest facing deck area with awesome mountain and valley views for you to enjoy, upstairs is a small private deck that offers incredible long distance views of both our mountains and valley to the east!
We offer only one apartment at a time so you will enjoy complete privacy during your stay. We offer the entire house if you have a group large enough to fill it.
Further lodging: is our Family sized Foxtail Cabin.
(Open From May through September).
This home offers four bedrooms and can accommodate up to 12 people. With two full bathrooms, a cozy living area and outstanding oversized southwest facing porch this large cabin is great for big groups.
Although the Foxtail Cabin does not have a full kitchen it is equipped with a kitchen cart with a microwave, coffee pot and fridge. A hot plate is also available upon request plus access to our bar-b-que and grilling area is just a few steps away.
Further Lodging: is our Pinion Cabin.
(Open From May through September)
The Pinion Cabin is a beautiful duplex style home that offers a two bedroom unit or one bedroom unit and can be opened to accommodate 9-11 people in total.
The west side unit offers two roomy bedrooms; one with a queen bed and the other bedroom has two double beds. A full bath and comfortable sitting room with pull out double size sleeper sofa round out the unit.
The east side unit offers one bedroom equipped with a queen bed and a single bed. A full bath and cozy sitting room with twin size pull out sleeper sofa offer plenty of room for a smaller family to enjoy.
The cabin also offers an apartment size refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot plus a wonderful wrap around deck that gives you plenty of access to the outstanding views around the ranch!
Our Property Offers THREE Homes For Rent during the summer months, So PLEASE CALL To Verify Availability If The Time You Are Looking At Shows Reserved.
We are happy to offer any assistance needed to ensure that your visit to our mountain retreat is a wonderful experience; just let us know how we can help!
We apologize but we are unable to accommodate RV's.
Keywords: Mountains, seclusion, horseback riding, hot tub, beautiful scenery, quiet, wildlife viewing, hiking, fishing, lakes nearby, guided hunting, private, cabins, National Forest access, Wedding and Special Events site.
My husband Dean has lived in this location for 29 years. He built all of the buildings and houses with the exception of an 1892 Montgomery Wards Kit home (which is still open for tours), for the purpose of sharing it with as many people as possible. It operated as a guest ranch from 1986 to 2010 with visitors from around the world that enjoyed the spectacular scenery, awesome horseback riding program and welcoming western atmosphere. While open as a guest ranch we offered 6 cabins that could accommodate up to 40 guests with full meal services and tours of the area. Now we are retired but still feel the urge to share this wonderful place with others and are happy to provide you the best the Sangre De Cristo Mountains and Wet Mountain Valley has to offer. Come enjoy our hidden getaway and endulge in your passion for a quiet mountain experience!
Jodi Rusk purchased this estate in 1984
This area has some of the most spectacular scenery imaginable. It offers seclusion, comfortable lodging, unparalled quiet and access to over 2 million acres of mountain wilderness for hiking, riding, fishing, wildlife viewing and hunting.
Onsite Treasure Hunting for old Calvary Bulletts, Canon Balls and Indian Artifacts. Wildlife Viewing, Access with or without guiding to the San Isabel National Forest, Guided Hunting. Nearby Whitewater rafting and ATV Tours. Visit the fully restored 1892 Victorian house located onsite. An Amazing site for small Weddings or Special events.
Treasure hunting for Calvary bullets, old canon balls and Indian artifacts. Please bring your metal dector!
Renters are allowed to bring their own horses and there are plenty of areas to ride in this location as well as pasture and stable accommodations.