Driving north of Austin on I-35, I always feel as if I’ve returned to the rest of Texas when I reach Georgetown. Past the sprawl of the capital, though the rip-roaring growth of Round Rock (which looks as if it’s been eating its famous doughnuts), I take a deep, if brief, breath of open prairie and wide sky. Then I duck under the shade of Austin Avenue and its vintage homes and emerge onto one of the prettiest squares in Texas.
Stroll beautiful downtown Georgetown and appreciate some of the finest Victorian architecture in the state of Texas. Unique shopping and delicious dining are some of the options which await you.
In any given week in Georgetown, you can find multiple performances, art openings or live music to experience.
Choose from multiple venues that showcase eclectic and traditional art, or find yourself swept away by award winning performances.
The Most Beautiful Town Square in Texas is the stage for many of the festivals and special events in Georgetown. The Red Poppy Festival, held each year in April, is a musical celebration of spring and Georgetown’s signature red poppies. The Christmas Stroll fills the Square with holiday sounds, shopping, and goodies in December. There’s always something happening in Georgetown.
Other activities and attractions in the area include:
- 9 miles of Hike and Bike trails along the South San Gabriel River
- Georgetown Challenge Course. Nestled among the trees lining the North San Gabriel River, this year-round course consists of many low team elements, 22 new and exciting high elements (including parallel zip lines), and 2 climbing walls.
- Disc Golf Course
- Blue Hole, a scenic lagoon lined by limestone bluffs, situated on the South San Gabriel River in Georgetown, Texas
- Georgetown Art Center, located on Main Street
- Georgetown Public Library
- Palace Theater (a year round live theater venue), located on South - Austin Avenue
- Inner Space Caverns is a living cave, which means that its formations are continuing to develop and take shape. For over 80,000 years, the cavern has been constantly changing, allowing for spectacular displays and breathtakingly beautiful formations.
- Antique shopping in nearby Salado
- Stagecoach Inn - Famous dining experience