Welcome to your family-sized sunny garden apartment with a back yard entrance. It's in the bottom floor of a sunny, remodeled 2-story Queen Anne Cottage. (With 3 apartments altogether.)
If you want to stay for 2 months or more, we can discuss a small discount.
Your entrance is in the fenced back yard, which has fruit trees, bamboos, and a table with chairs.
- 650 square feet (bigger than many 2-bedroom apartments)
- Sunny windows on three sides
- Two closets, including a huge bedroom closet
- Extra large kitchen with huge sunny window
- Off-street parking for 1 car
- Easy street parking for other cars
- New double pane windows
- New heater
- New pergo flooring (looks like hardwood)
- New paint
- New fridge
- New stainless steel kitchen sink
- New bathroom vanity
- New faucets, doorknobs, ceiling lights, etc
There's a queen sized sofa bed in your living room (with a Sealy Postothopedic mattress), as well as a queen sized Swedish foam mattress in your bedroom. Your bathroom is big, sunny, and has a full sized bathtub. And if you like to sit outside, there's a table and chairs in the fenced back yard.
It's in a safe and quiet part of Oakland, minutes from Berkeley and Rock ridge (an up scale neighbourhood with great ethnic restaurants.)
- Quiet street with trees, not a through street
- The only people who drive here are the neighbours.
- Area is very flat, so it's easy to bike around town.
The UC Berkeley campus is about 2 miles away. If you want to take a bus there, you can catch the AC transit bus one block from my house. It's also an easy bike ride (2 miles away).
It's about 1 mile from the nearest BART subway stations (Ashby or Rockridge), and a little more than a mile from Whole Foods and the locally famous Berkeley Bowl.
If you walk 3 blocks east to Telegraph Ave and turn north, you'll find:
Addis Ethiopian Restaurant
Saysetha Thai Restaurant
Cafe Colucci (Ethiopian Restaurant)
57th St Gallery (jazz night club)
Jumping' Java Cafe
And if you walk 7 blocks south -- to the Temescal neighbourhood -- you can enjoy:
Abesha Ethiopian Restaurant
Juhu Beach Club (Indian Restaurant)
Temescal Produce Market
La Calaca Loca Taqueria
Genova (Italian) Delicatessen
Round Table Pizza
The Cheese Shop
There are also two Farmer's Market's in walking distance. Every Tuesday from 2 - 6:30pm, you can walk to the South Berkeley Farmer's Market. And every Sunday from 10am-1pm, you can walk to the Temescal Farmer's Market. Both are VERY festive, with a variety of live musicians, music groups, and vendors selling freshly made ethnic food.
The AC Transit bus (which stops one block away) can take you to the subway station, the grocery store, or the UC Berkeley campus.
By car, you'll be about 8 minutes from the Bay bridge. There’s plenty of space to park on our street, and no permit is required.
There's a door to door laundry service nearby that will pick up your laundry, wash, dry, fold, and return it the next day. Two weeks of laundry is about $30. If you're on a budget, there's also a laundromat a few blocks away.
The price above includes water, trash pick-up, gas, electric, and wifi -- along with linens.
In order to provide you (and every guest) with a spic-and-span apartment, I charge a one time $80 cleaning fee regardless of how long you stay.
However, if you stay for longer than a month, I'll pay my cleaning lady to clean your garden apartment once a month while you're here.
Do you need a bicycle while you're here? if you're going to stay here for at least a month, I can arrange bicycles for you.
1) There's just one gas heater in the living room. I installed two wall vents so heat from the living room could flow into the bedroom. It works great. However, it means sounds from the living room and kitchen are now more audible from the bedroom, and vice versa.
2) My 2 roommates and I live upstairs. Except for occasional singing and piano playing (before 10pm), we don't play loud music or TV. We also don't wear shoes inside.
But you will still hear us walking around. You will also hear water running when we shower or flush the upstairs toilet. And you'll hear us opening and closing our front door.
In the past, most of my downstairs guests and tenants were used to living in apartments or multi-family houses. So this was no big deal. But if you're a light sleeper or noise-sensitive, please contact me about renting the 2-room suite with private bathroom in my flat *upstairs*. That might fit you better!)
3) When my roommates come and go, you will see them walking along the side of the house, right outside your kitchen window.
4) Cats are allowed if you provide an additional $1000 pet deposit. This is to protect me in case they tear up the bed. sofa bed, curtains, etc.
5) Do you have a dog? In addition to a $1,000 pet deposit, the only way I could approve your dog is to charge you $500/month more, and then give you a $500 refund at the end of each month if your dog never barks and never poops in my yard.
It's entirely possible that your dog never barks, but when other people make the same claim, they sometimes overstate the truth. It's impossible for me to differentiate. I don't expect anyone to pay this additional $500/month, but if you really want to stay here with your dog, that's the only way I could agree.
Review from Marsha and Gordon (on another vacation rental website)...
We recently stayed at Trevor’s garden apartment for 2 months while our own house was undergoing construction. The apartment exceeded our expectations, and served us very well as a temporary home away from home. It was clean, bright, spacious and cheerful, and there was more than ample storage. The kitchen was large and well equipped, with lots of cupboard space, making it very easy to cook at home, a big asset for us. Our host was very responsive to our needs, promptly addressing a problem that developed with the television. He also had a gate with lock installed at our suggestion, which makes the pretty little garden space (good for having coffee in warm weather) and entrance more private.
The location is good—a very short car or bicycle ride, and walk able (within 30 minutes) to the UC Berkeley, and the Temescal, Rockridge and Piedmont areas that have some of the best and /or hippest restaurants and shops in town. Public transportation is within easy walking distance (bus 2 blocks away, BART (0.6 mi), as are coffee-houses and shops in Temescal and the up and coming Adeline/Alcatraz hub. Entrances to the major free ways to access the rest of the San Francisco Bay Area are a few blocks away.
Review from Judi (on another vacation rental website)...
Trevor's downstairs apartment was such a nice place to stay. So private, super clean,quiet.Very nicely appointed with beautiful new wood floors, new furniture, new fresh paint. By the way the water pressure is excellent making for a nice shower. The bed was extremely comfortable. I really enjoyed staying here.
You can hear footsteps from the people upstairs-- But I found it comforting; as I said before it is so quiet and private with a separate entrance, that the footsteps kept me from feeling totally alone. Trevor was the perfect host. He takes pride in being very detailed and the communication was excellent.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event||Minimum Stay|
My Standard Rate
|Refundable damage deposit||$500.00|
|Cats are allowed, but I require an additional $1,000 cat deposit, in case they damage the bed, sofabed, or anything else.|
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay. Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.