Looking for an authentic Hawaii experience? My home is a one bedroom custom cedar home on a 5-acre farm in Hawi, the district of North Kohala on the Big Island of Hawaii. The property is private and peaceful, but is only a half mile to Hawi town.The house is powered by the sun and serenaded by the soothing sound of the wind in the palm trees. Fruit trees—mango, lichee, jaboticaba, avocado, star fruit, custard apple and more—grace the property. Fully equipped kitchen and lots of counter space.
Visit the Hawi Farmers Market on Saturday morning and bring some local fruits and veggies back to prepare your farm fresh meal. Don't want to cook? Enjoy one of our local coffee shops or restaurants in Hawi or nearby Kapaau. The house has a wonderful outdoor shower and tub, and also an indoor shower and bathroom.Comfy California king size bed with a magical canopy of lights.There are many off the beaten track hikes in North Kohala and you can swim off Mahukona pier ten minutes down the road. The island's best beaches are a half hour drive, as are world class resorts and restaurants. The property is home to a native Hawaiian taro growing project—it is a real working farm with taro, pigs and chickens.
If you are a writer, reader, enjoy meditation or just appreciate some peace and quiet, you will find the quiet and privacy of my home to be a haven.
This is not your typical vacation rental, but is my wonderful home—a true home away from home. There is only one bedroom, so it is best suited to a couple, but younger children can be accommodated by setting up a futon bed in the living room.
There is also small cabin and tental (tent cabin) with a shared bathroom and kitchen on the property. This is also available for rent if you have additional family members, teenagers, or are looking for budget accommodations. Ask owner.
Aloha! I was born and raised in New York, but have lived in Hawaii for 25 years. You could say that I am a real island girl, since I was born on Long Island, but now reside on Hawaii Island. Becoming the steward of such an amazing property is a dream come true for me. Hoea mean 'to arrive' and I really feel like I have finally arrived, even though I have lived here for a long time.
I am a storyteller and social entrepreneur.
My company is Sustainable Initiatives—I work on projects which support the growth of a local, sustainable economy…with a sweet spot for growing the local food system. My projects include work with traditional crops (breadfruit and taro) and the fostering of our community food system in North Kohala.
My writing has been published in many Hawaii-based magazines and blogs. I am currently working on a collection of personal essays and developing myself as a performance artist.
I am known for my personal educational projects, having embarked upon a number of “eat local” experiments and then reported to the public on my experience. Among these are the: 90 Days on a Hawai‘i Island Diet and 30 Days on a Food Stamp Budget.
You can learn more about my work at andreadean.com
Here are 4 of my favorite things (I have 10, but the word limit!)
1. Chanting: Paramahansa Yogananda says “Chanting is half the battle.” Its true. Devotional chanting is such an easy, joyful shortcut to meditation. I lead kirtans and enjoy going to other people’s kirtans.
2. Dancing: Sweat your prayers, ecstatic dance, a night out with the girlfriends, right in my own living room. Any dance is a good dance.
3. Chocolate: I just heard that smiling releases 2,000 times the amount of endorphins than chocolate. I smile when I eat chocolate, so…
4. Champagne/Proseco: (often enjoyed with chocolate) My grandmother used to listen to Don Ho when I was growing up. I think the subliminal message of tiny bubbles may have brought me to Hawaii and instilled a lifelong love of the bubbly
I have been dreaming of having a sustainable homestead for 25 years, and my dream just came true! It quiet, beautiful, plentiful with fruit.
This is not a sterile vacation rental. It is a cozy, colorful and comfortable Hawaiian farm home.
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
My Standard Rate
5 night minimum stay
|Cleaning Fee||$75.00 + Tax|
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay. Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.