Katama Farmhouse Rental Photos and Description
Situated on Herring Creek Farm - a 285 acre estate with 1/4 mile of private beac
Renovated 1840’s farmhouse on extraordinary Herring Creek Farm. 3000 square foot house on 4 acres with private beach rights to South Beach and Edgartown Great Pond. 5 bedroom/3 bath house with multiple living and dining areas. Only a short walk on a country road to private beach. Enjoy the views across a 40 acres of conservation land or a peaceful stroll around country roads. Pick your own vegetables from large garden. Large yard for children to play.
Owner has two horses. Property also has large pasture, outdoor ring and cross country jumping course. Friendly dogs welcome. The owners of the house have a dog and cat.
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets considered
- wheelchair inaccessible
About Tjark Aldeborgh
My grandfather purchased Herring Creek Farm which included this property in 1947. While he sold the majority of the farm in 1969, his children, and subsequently his grandchildren and beyond, have always considered 'The Farm' a place where we can relax and reinvigorate themselves. Our family has opened up the opportunity to your family to enjoy everything we have enjoyed for over 60 years.
Why Tjark Aldeborgh chose Katama
visit www.herringcreekfarm.com/ to gain a better understanding about what makes this location one of the most extraordinary locations on Martha's Vineyard - if not the east coast.
Herring Creek Farm, located on a peninsula surrounded by Edgartown Great Pond to the northwest, the Atlantic Ocean on the south and Crackatuxet Pond on the east, has a rich agricultural history dating back nearly 300 years. It was once a portion of the Great Plains Farm, assembled by Ronold Wild in 1942. Wild sold a sailboat, which he and his wife Dorothy had used to reach the Island, to buy a portion of the land from Jack Weihl. Over a two year period, Ronold and Dorothy purchased additional acreage to complete the final property of 250 acres, 80 of which they had under cultivation. The Wilds grew potatoes for the summer market and hay for the winter market. The story goes that they purchased their first cow from Macy's.
The farm was sold to Benjamin Harrison Cohan, a wool merchant, in 1947. He acquired additional acreage, expanded the barns and raised Holstein cattle for milk production. Mr. Cohan started the Martha's Vineyard Dairy Cooperative on the island during that time. During the 1950s the Great Plains Farm was the largest dairy farm on the Vineyard, and in 1956 it led the state in Holstein Friesian lactaction averages. Also in the mid-1950s the farm was the recipient of the top county award for outstanding agricultural achievement and practice in soil conservation.
Once again the farm was sold, this time to the Wallace Brothers in 1969. During their tenure, the farm's focus was beef cattle. Donald McGuire, who ran the operation for many years, stated the farm raised up to 200 head of Hereford cattle, grew corn, oats and hay, and some vegetables. It was the Wallace brothers who re-named the property Herring Creek Farm - the Great Plains had, with the passage of time, largely filled in with trees and modest development.