Hale Ikena Nui - Far from Perfect.
We booked Patti's rental based on positive reviews; but the reality was not positive. First off we stayed downstairs in the main suite ~ for over 3.5 weeks. Perhaps if you stay upstairs its better but the problems downstairs are serious + worst of all not mentioned in the ad.
- The ceiling is paper thin. You can hear ALL activity. Problem is Patti wakes up 5:30 am and she is noisy ~ right above the downstairs bedroom. If you want to sleep in past 6 am - good luck, it's not happening.
- The bathroom/toilet area door is a joke - a virtually see-thru frame where you can hear EVERYTHING. How expensive would a solid door cost??
- The dog (aka "bear" or "barky") leaves little surprises in the grassy area around the suite. Wear shoes all the time. This dog has a barking problem, barks at anything that walks by. Patti could do something, but she does not seem to notice. We mentioned it but nothing changed.
- Speaking of noise - we were NOT told that our bedroom would be next to a cow farm. These cows seem to enjoy being loud at 3 am. Again, mentioned to Patti - but she said "oh really, didn't it say that my ad online about the farm?". Actually Patti, no. You didn't mention that.
- The only times we saw Patti was when she wanted the balance $$$$ and on the last day. Patti chose to communicate to us by dropping a few loud objects (by accident?) above our bedroom at about 7:30 am. She showed up an hour later asking when we were leaving - we suggested noon/1pm - at which she became agitated and told us to leave at 10 am-ish. Perhaps Patti could have told us that in the 25 days prior our departure. Or the night before. This rental is not the Hilton ~ we expect some latitude or least communication when stay at basically a bed and breakfast.
- And lastly, when we arrived and said "Aloha Patti! We're the folks staying her for most of May" - Patti replied - ""Why are you here so early, I expected you at 3pm??" We showed up at 2:30pm. Very unfriendly behavior from someone renting their home to vacationers - and the fact is we were genuinely excited to be there. Oh, and Patti did not offer info about any of her coolers/sunbrellas as mentioned in her ad - until 3 days after we bought those items. Why advertise those amenities when you won't tell us where to find them lol?
On the positive side the location is good, but really not worth staying downstairs. False advertising at best. A partial refund was in order but no offer from Patti.
Owner's Response: I have had a vacation/rental bed and breakfast on Kauai since 1995. I have always enjoyed having people visit me from all over the world and have always had a positive experience. I have repeat guests who have stayed with me for years and they continue to book yearly.
I love to share my experiences and information of Kauai with my guests. I especially enjoy working at the world famous non-profit National Tropical Botanical Gardens. Although I work several days a week, I am usually available for conversations in the afternoons and evenings.
My home is in a very quiet neighborhood on a small cul de sac. My street ends at my neighbor's 35 acre ranch. They pasture a few cows, a couple of mules and horses. Most of my guests enjoy watching the livestock and sometimes present the mules and horses with treats such as carrots, apples, etc.
My main suite is located on lower section of my lot and is completely self-contained. It is a verly light and airy and windows cover most of one wall. My suite has a fully equipped kitchen, dishwasher and washer/dryer. Beach and picnic equipment are available and I ask my guests to please help themselves. If I sense my guests wish to be left alone, I try to accommodate them and respect their privacy.
My residence guest room is located in the main house and I share my entire home with my guests. I invite my guests to enjoy the views from my lanai and to share their experiences while on island. I am always happy to offer suggestions as to activities, restaurants, etc.
My dog, Bear, who appears on my web page, also enjoys greeting visitors and loves to show off his many favorite toys. Many of my guests love to surprise him with new toys. We do have several cats and dogs in the neighborhood and they are all very friendly.
I always ask my guests for their approximate time of arrival, so I may be sure everything is ready for them. If my guests have special nees, I accommodate them and this means late airplane arrival or late departure.
Most of our homes have walls of windows and louver doors in each room. This is to enjoy our wonderful trade winds and the beauty of our island.
I am bemused by the experiences of my disgruntled guests as I only saw them twice while they stayed with me. I assumed they were busy enjoying the many acitvities our island have to offer. They only mentioned their displeasure the day they were leaving.
Did you find this review helpful?