10 minutes from Sydney CBD
Opposite Sydney Star Casino
Local restaurants, bars and grocery store including Coles and IGA
2 minute walk to Darling Harbour and Sydney Fish Markets
HISTORY - 93 Pyrmont Street, Pyrmont
The first land grants were made in 1794 to John Malone(24 acres) and William Mitchell (18 acres) and in 1795 to Thomas Jones (55 acres). John Macarthur acquired the portion originally granted to Thomas Jonesin 1799 and this eventually became the Pyrmont Estate but remained largely undeveloped. The area was named in 1806 after a popular German spa near Hanover. Following Macarthur's death in 1834, the first plans for subdivision were proposed by his son Edward in London 1836. These were deemed unsuitableand a second plan of 101 lots was devised in 1839. By 1843, most lots south of John Street and some to the north had been sold or leased and developed for residential use. John William Russell, a Sydney shipbuilder, purchased 2 lots fronting Pyrmont Bay and constructed a shipyard, and similarly ship builder Thomas Chowne leased lots fronting Johnstons Bay.
In 1844 Pyrmont was incorporated into the City of Sydney and the early 1850's saw a number of major developments in Pyrmont andalso in Ultimo to a lesser extent. In 1853, the Sydney Railway Company resumed 14 acres of the Ultimo Estate for a railway line to and with a terminus at Darling Harbour. Also in 1853 Charles Saunders purchased land from the Harris family for a sandstone quarry on the northwest side of the peninsula. This developed into a substantial operation including a causeway to Darling Island and supplied stone for the construction of a number of major buildings in Sydney including the University of Sydney, Colonial Secretary's Building, Lands Department, General Post Office, and other buildings in Melbourne, New Zealand, Fiji and Canada. Other industries established in the area at the time included an iron foundry.
The first Pyrmont Bridge, opened in March 1858, was a timber toll bridge from Market Street, which stimulated further development inthe area. The first school in the area located in Mount Street was opened in 1858 and around the same time a Police Station, Presbyterian and Catholic Churches were established. Another bridge was constructed from Pyrmont to Glebe across Johnstons Bay c1860. There was significant industrial growth in the areain the 1870's, including the City Iron Works and the Colonial Sugar Refinery Company (CSR) factory in 1878. By the early 1880's Union Square was established as a commercial centre and by 1900 most residential development had ceased, by which time the Pyrmont and Ultimo Power Houses had opened and the new Pyrmont Bridge had been constructed. Most development in the 20th century was commercial and industrial and included additional woolstores, Pyrmont Incinerator (1934), flour mills (1940), additional power stations (1955) andthe Government Printing Office (1960's).
By 1855 a one-room stone cottage with shingle roof had been built on the property at 93 Pyrmont Street. This cottage may date back to before 1845, when the block was possibly in the ownership of John Revill(sometimes spelt Riddle) though this is uncertain. By 1855, with the property in the ownership of George Richard Uhr, it was leased by Robert Bonny. By 1858 Uhrhad sold the property to John Moyse (sometimes spelt Moyes or Moys in the Ratebooks) who was living there. Between 1858 and 1859 Moyse built a two storey stone house and shop on the property. It appears likely that the one room building extant at the rear of the property is the original cottage on the property. Certainly, this building at the rear was built prior to 1865 as it appears on the Trigonometrical Survey of Sydney map of Pyrmont, which is dated 1865. By 1865 Moyse had also built five two storey terraces, now 8-16 Union Street on land adjacent to the rear of 93 Pyrmont Street. These were substantial houses, built of stone and valued at £40 per annum.
Moyse operated a grocery shop on the property at 93 Pyrmont Street from about 1860 to about 1878. He then leased the store to George H Shaw, who lived there with his wife. (Sydney Morning Herald, 7 November 1879, p. 10). By 1882 the property had been sold to W D Thompson and was vacant. By 1891 the shop wasowned by John Gibbons. It passed to Frederick Gibbons by 1901, by which time it was no longer used as a shop.
In 1908, 91 and 93 Pyrmont Street, and 8-16 Union Street (which were also owned by Frederick Gibbons) were advertised for sale together. All properties were purchased by Matthew Harris who was a descendent of Surgeon John Harris (probably his grandson) and was a substantial land holder in the area. By 1921 all had passed to his son Arthur Leslie Harris, who still owned all these properties in 1945.