Submitted: April 22, 2013
Stayed: March 2013
First, the bad:
1) cockroaches -- we had one per day over three days of our stay. They were a big gross-out, and the first time we saw one we considered moving out to a hotel. They're huge. :(
2) the neighborhood is marginal. While there were plenty of pricy cars parked all over (in fact Colin keeps his Mercedes in the alley), we were a bit unsettled walking home at night (family of four). Note that you must pass through five solid, new locks to get into the front door (!)
3) the walk -- it's a 20' walk to the nearest Metro stop, at Howard Univ.; not horrible, but not what I'd call close, especially after being on one's feet all day.
4) the apt. -- it's chic cheap; while the coffee maker, TV, futon are bargain basement and it's hard to turn on the shower without getting soaked (the faucet's at the far end of the large shower), it's a colorful apt with a bright feel to it with art, etc.
1) Colin is a gracious host; his driving us to the grocery store on our arrival was great. He repeatedly asked us to contact him if we needed anything. The fact that he lives upstairs is a definite plus.
2) Colin quickly took action re: the roaches. I texted him the morning after finding roach #1; one day later the place had been visited by the exterminators. The following day (the last of the three roach days) found one sickly roach that couldn't scurry out of the light in the hallway.
3) on two occasions (incl. my wife's getting home from a quick trip to NJ to Union Station close to midnight, and not wanting to be walking from the Metro stop) we decided to use a cab service and on searching for a good one found Uber which far exceeded our expectations -- do consider this if you need safe, quick service without needing to deal with cash or a tip.
Would we return? My wife would, but I'm thinking we'll likely try someplace else next time; DC's a big city. However, at this price point I feel the place was a good buy.
Owner's Response: Unfortunately DC is one of those places that when it rains, water bugs try to escape the outdoors and seek refuge in dry places. I immediately called terminix to remediate the issue. Since, then we have not experienced the issue.
I take my guests comments seriously and hope that they feel free to communicate with me to address any improvements that would make their stay more enjoyable. I will therefore address those things that the guests mentioned that can be addressed. Our main point is ensuring guest safety, comfort, and affordability in terms of pricing.
Helpful votes: 1/1
Did you find this review helpful?