Tahoe Donner House Rental Photos and Description
5 bedrooms + 3.5 bathrooms in 2,700 square feet --newly renovated
You can take a virtual tour of our chalet by copying and pasting the link below in your browser window.
When the initial American immigrants came across Donner Pass, they were guided by a local Native American chief who continually reassured them by saying “trokay,” a phrase meaning “all will be well.” From this “trokay” the immigrants came to call their guide “Chief Truckee” who eventually became the namesake for the historic and charming town of Truckee, CA, nestled by the shore of Donner Lake and just minutes from Lake Tahoe. More than 150 years later our family welcomes you to Trokay Chalet, our dream cabin conveniently located in Truckee's Tahoe Donner district. Here, you can relax, be refreshed and know that “all will be well.”
Trokay Chalet is our luxury vacation home that features:
• Five bedrooms and three-and-one-half baths in a generous 2,700 square feet
• Expansive views of the surrounding mountains and Tahoe national forest from the great room, master bedroom, and over-sized hot tub
• 'Adult game room” with kitchenette including a wine refrigerator and wet bar, complete with a pool table, Foosball, air hockey, and tv/dvd player
• “Kids game room” with board games, blocks, Legos, books, games for young children, and tv/dvds. Enough to keep the kids entertained while the adults relax!
• Two kitchens, a full kitchen upstairs and a kitchenette below in a private downstairs studio 'apartment' that occupies the home’s lower level
• Newly-furnished and beautifully appointed with top quality mattresses, linens, etc.
• Extremely child and baby-friendly with special equipment for little kids including high chairs, sippy cups, bibs, children’s utensils and plates, potty seats, footstools, and a Pack n’ Play
• The main floor features a fully-stocked kitchen and a great room with a fireplace with a stone hearth, a wood-burning stove, and a large dining table. Mountain views abound.
• The front deck adjoins the indoor dining area, and includes a table and chairs for outdoor dining. Get the gas grill going out on the private, expansive back deck (which also has a table and chairs) and soak in the mountain views (or soak in the six-person hot tub while soaking in the views.)
• An expansive master suite with four-poster bed is also on the main level, set aside and extremely private. It has a walk-in closet, forest and some mountain views, and an en-suite bathroom with his and hers sinks and jetted tub.
• Down a half-flight of stairs from the main level are two more bedrooms. “The Bunk Room” has two brand-new twin-over twin handmade log bunk beds with new mattresses. “The Gold Room” is our second master bedroom — newly furnished with a high-end queen-size bed/mattress, forest views, and lots of privacy.
• Two baths are also on this level (one full, one half) leaving plenty of room to spread out.
• Rounding out this level is the laundry room as well as kids game room that that includes a full-size pull-out sofabed. This room is loaded with a TV, books, videos, and board games.
• Down a further half flight of steps, the lower level is “the apartment” — its own self-contained living quarters, complete with its own outside entrance with everything you need for a great vacation — including privacy.
• “The Apartment” doubles as a game room for adults — complete with a wet bar, wine fridge, and kitchenette. It features an TV/DVD, pool table, dart board, and air hockey/Foosball table.
• A queen size Ethan Allen sofa bed with deluxe Tempurpedic memory foam mattress allows comfortable sleeping for an individual or couple.
• 'The Apartment' also has a full bath for completely self-contained living.
• Trokay Chalet has everything you need for a memorable vacation including DIRECTV, land-line phone and high-speed wireless internet, all included.
• All our guests may use our complimentary guest cards to take advantage of Tahoe Donner’s wealth of amenities many of which are available only to members and their guests. These include a private beach club at Donner Lake with passes that allow you and your family to relax lakeside, go paddleboating, canoeing, sailing, or swimming. You can also enjoy tennis and Tahoe Donner’s sparkling tennis facilities or golf at its renowned golf-course, take a dip in our community pool.
And don't miss the chance to hike or ride on Tahoe Donner’s 40 miles of private trails with breathtaking views of the Sierras. From a trailhead less than a mile up the road from the chalet you can access Tahoe Donner's extensive trail system, which connects you to the Donner Rim Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail.
We regret that we cannot accommodate pets (our family loves them but one family member has severe dog and cat allergies) or smoking at the chalet.
Unlike many 'by owner' rentals, we utilize an in-town professional service and maintenance company that is available to answer your calls and address any problems you may have, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. And in the unlikely event they can't assist you with a question, we are always available as well. You get the best of both worlds; personalized property management and design of your rental experience with an owner's touch-- along with in-town help and service for any unexpected issues that might arise.
- Minimum Age Limit for Renters
- children welcome
- non smoking only
- pets not allowed
About Jeremy C.
Jeremy and Anna live in Silicon Valley and have four young children-- three boys and a girl. Jeremy is a researcher at Stanford and Anna is a physician working in San Francisco. We both grew up on the East Coast but fell in love with the West Coast — and Truckee and the Tahoe region in particular.
Jeremy C. purchased this house in 2013
Why Jeremy C. chose Tahoe Donner
We had vacationed in Tahoe Donner for years and always loved the location, which we think is the best in the Tahoe area. We enjoy Tahoe Donner's great amenities and its setting in the historic town of Truckee (for our money the best place in the Tahoe area). As our kids grew older we wanted to have our own place to make family memories, teach them to ski, and enjoy the beautiful Sierras. We also wanted a place big enough to where the entire extended family could stay comfortably. And this place fits the bill. In addition to the beautiful natural setting there are tons of great shops and restaurants nearby (many of whom deliver to the home when we don't feel like cooking!) We can have our whole family + our parents and my aunt and uncle up to stay with a layout that gives everyone a chance to be together-- but have privacy when we need it.
What makes this house unique
We fell in love with this place at first sight. We saw this home the day it came on the market and put an offer on it that day. And a good thing too, since we had to beat out another family who did the same thing. It has a wonderful layout that combines great privacy with the ability to congregate. The mountain views from the family room, the deck, and the hot tub are great (and hard to capture on film!). It's got all of the vacation home toys you want (pool table, hot tub, foosball, air hockey) combined with easy winter access in a flat driveway. It's got a great location in Mid-Tahoe Donner — not down so low that you are dealing with lots of through traffic nor up so high that it takes you a long time to get to town. It's a 'Goldilocks' home. Just right.
Guestbook comments from the owner
Jeremy and Anna,
Your house was perfect. Thank you so much for sharing your home with our group.