About Mary Stephenson
Why Mary Stephenson chose St Helena
- My husband and I raised our family in this home. We recently renovated and redecorate so we now have a very comfortable house with lots of light and an open floor plan. We plan to spend September each year traveling. September is the only month this house is available and it is the perfect time to be in the Napa Valley because crush is in full swing. You will be able to see the grapes being picked and processed at local wineries and feel the excitement in the air as the valley comes alive with the harvest.
- Having lived here full-time for over twenty years, we know the area and have lots of connections. We can give you the scoop on local happenings; places to eat, shop, visit and play; and we will help you arrange tours and tastings at the best local artisan wineries.
- This is our house, which we are renting while we spend the month in Paris, so you will be staying in a comfortable private home filled with books, art and everything you need to entertain or simply relax. Bed and bath linens and other furnishings are all top quality.
- There will be a local contact to help you while we are gone and wonderful neighbors and friends who will make you feel at home or give you total privacy depending upon your wishes.
Mary Stephenson purchased this house in 1992
What makes this house unique
- Being 'in-town' is great! Look out the front door and you are less than one mile from Main Street with it's cute shops and great restaurants. Look out the back door and you see the Western ridge line with the entrance to a beautiful canyon walk just two blocks away.
- We are avid foodies and wine lovers and our house is perfect for people want to take advantage of the Napa lifestyle. Not only will you be close to some of the finest restaurants in the country but, at home, you will have access to multiple sets of dishes, glassware, table linens and accessories for casual to formal entertaining.
- The house is well equipped for three couples or for a family with children. There are beds for a total of eight people. There is lots of private space plus wonderful gathering places both inside and out.
- Guest memberships to Napa Valley Health Club, which offers a gym, pool and spa services, are available. There are also opportunities for tennis, golf, bocce ball, hot air ballooning, hiking, biking, skateboarding and fishing nearby.
- St Helena is a quaint little town right in the middle of the Napa Valley. Calistoga is 12 miles to the north and Yountville is 12 miles to the south. It is less than two hours from the San Francisco, Oakland and Sacramento airports.
- Walking to town for a morning coffee or an evening movie at the Cameo Cinema, the classic little movie house on Main Street.
- Deciding which one of the dozens of world-class Napa Valley restaurants or local hangouts to dine at tonight.
- Strolling through the weekly Farmers’ Market and visiting Sunshine Foods or Dean and DeLucca to obtain all the fixings for a wonderful meal.
- Taking a cooking class at the Culinary Institute of America, partaking in an olive oil tasting or visiting one of the hundreds of wineries in the Napa Valley.
- Shopping in the quaint, one-of-kind stores in St. Helena, Calistoga and Yountville or the discount outlets in Napa.
- Driving 60 minutes to Bodega Bay for a walk along the rugged Pacific Coast then stopping for fresh BBQ oysters on the way home.
- Reading, chatting or snoozing on the backyard terrace under the towering Sycamore trees in the afternoon sun.
- Lingering under the arbor in the candlelight after a leisurely dinner on the warm Indian Summer nights.
- Enjoying a walk down White Sulphur Springs canyon just two blocks away, or, for the more adventurous, climbing Mt. St. Helena north of Calistoga, 15 miles away.
- Seeing the grapes being picked, crushed and fermented – the harvest is usually in full swing by mid September so you can observe the crush up close and personal.