|Minimum Stay||3 nights|
Charming oceanview farmhouse, off the grid getaway.
Located at the end of a private road, our Pohoiki farmhouse (pronounced locally as Po-iki) is a tastefully appointed, off the grid home with a lovely ocean view. The home sits on five cleared acres and is planted with a variety of tropical flowers, exotic fruit trees, and even a testbed for growing tea. This is an off the grid retreat for visitors looking for serenity and a soothing, entirely different sort of Hawai'i vacation.
The house features a full kitchen; separate bedroom; large bathroom with walk-in shower and hand-crafted acacia wood counter; cozy living room with TV/DVD player; a dining room that comfortably seats four to six; and a large lanai featuring ocean views during the day and sublime stargazing at night.
This is our home, and although work keeps us away from Hawai'i right now we’d like it to be your home as well. Sit on the lanai in the morning sipping coffee and eating papaya from one of the local markets while listening to the slow distant rumble of the ocean. Easily visit the many nearby wonders of Puna: Ahalanui Park warm pond, Pohoiki boat ramp, the Vacationland tide pools, the Kalapana lava flow, Pahoa Town, mystical Red Road...Wander the yard at sunset with a glass of wine while the sun paints the skies over Puna pink. Fall asleep to the nighttime rains…
Because the house is positioned on a hill 400 feet above sea level, the trade winds blow regularly and keep it almost exclusively mosquito-free, which is a bit of a marvel for east Hawai'i.
We are less than 10 minutes by car from old Pahoa Town (restaurants, gas, groceries, wonderful olympic-sized swimming pool) and a mere few miles from the Pohoiki boat ramp and the geothermally heated warm pond. Kalapana is 20 minutes south; the Hilo airport about 35 to 40 minutes north; Kilauea crater about 45 minutes. The location is ideal for exploring the eastern side of the island.
Sometimes it’s difficult to remember that our farmhouse is off the grid, but it is. We have plenty of county water, which is easily and quickly heated by an on-demand propane water heater. The stove and oven are propane as well, and the electrical is solar. The living is convenient and comfortable, however the experience is decidedly more detached – much less energy consumptive, much less plugged-in. Life on Pohoiki Road is in synch with the rhythms of the day. Life is simpler here.
Vacation Rental Features
- 1 Queen
- Flat-screen TV with built-in DVD player; no satellite or cable
- Swimming pool (Pahoa Town). The public pool in town is delightful. A huge, Olympic sized pool with two separate lap areas and a standalone children’s pool make this an ideal place to work on your strokes.
- Full kitchen
- Propane gas stove/oven
- Full-size refrigerator
- Cooking utensils: non-stick cookware, dishes, place mats, cloth napkins
- Lanai with hammock
- Ocean View: sublime ocean view from the bedroom, living areas and lanai
- A wide swath of ohia forest and papaya farms lies between the house and the ocean
- Walk-in shower with handheld spray and rain nozzle
- Hand-hewn, bathoom counter made of locally harvested, chocolate heart acacia
- Custom kitchen cabinetry with kitchen counter posts constructed from ohia trees from the property
- Individuals, especially artists, thinkers and academics
- Families or couples traveling together should consider booking our home as well as our next door neighbors’ lovely Indonesian style cottage, Mahi Oli Oli
- Unfortunately, we’re not handicapped accessible. The residence is on the second floor, accessed by outdoor stairs.
- No Smoking indoors. Smoking is permitted on the lanai or lawn areas only.
- Minimum Age Limit For Renters : You must be at least 21 years old to rent our home.
- No Pets
- Wildlife Viewing
- Zoo/Wildlife Park
- Hike to Active Lava Flows
- Yoga Instruction
- Volcano National Park; Eco-Tourism
- World-Class Astronomical Observatory
- Pahoa Olympic-Sized Swimming Pool
- Geo-Thermal/Oceanside Warm Pond (Queen's Bath)
- Tropical Botanical Gardens
- Hula Classes.
- Check out Nui Pohaku or adventure tours and bike/snorkel,scuba rentals.
We tell everyone that Lower Puna, the coastal region of easternmost Hawaii, is not the Hawaii of your dreams, it's the Hawaii of the dreams you never knew you had. Pohoiki Road is one of the most scenic and laid back roads on the Big Island. Our place at the end of a private lane off of Pohoiki Road is a serene getaway where the rhythms of the day are guided by the elements -- sun, rain, wind, sky... It's our respite from all the things that drive us crazy on the mainland. It's Hawaii the way Hawaii is meant to be (in our view).
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly||Event|
My Standard Rate
3 night minimum stay
|Refundable damage deposit||$200|
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.