: Castiglione della Pescaia
: Vivo d'Orcia
: Prato delle Macinaie
: Golfclub Valdichiana
: Vivo d'Orcia
The Tuscany / Siena Province region
The Val d'Orcia is natural setting of extraordinary beauty. It has become known all over the world as the classic Tuscan landscape. Dotted with cypress trees and the dramatic slopes of the volcanic mountains Amiata and Radicofani, the natural park of the Orcia Valley is one of Tuscany’s best-preserved natural wonders just added in the UNESCO's WORLD HERITAGE LIST and is universally recognized as one of the most beautiful landscapes on Earth.
It has become known all over the world as the classic Tuscan landscape. Important films like the Oscar winners The English Patient, La Vita è Bella and Gladiator were shot here, as well as Romeo and Juliet directed by Franco Zeffirelli, and most recently Under the Tuscan Sun, cementing the Val d’Orcia’s beauty in cinematic history.
The Montalcino / Val d'Orcia area
The variety of the Val D’Orcia makes it an ideal stomping ground for a Tuscan holiday.
Visiting cultural jewels such as :
- Abbadia San Salvatore a charming village with a medieval centre and a romanic church
- Sant’Anna in Camprena half derelict monastery on the road between Pienza and San Quirico d’Orcia. A very romantic setting which served as location for the film „The English Patient“. In the refectory there is a fresco by the renaissance painter Giovanni Antonio Bazzi, otherwise known as Il Sodoma.
- Sant’Antimo is an abbey lying all by itself in a valley, completely built in a light beige coloured travertine stone.
- San Quirico d’Orcia make you see the Horti Leonini, an early example of early Renaissance gardens.
And of course the hilltop towns of Montalcini, Montepulciano, Pienza, Montichiello, Chiusi.....
- Bagno Vignoni- A must because of the antique pool on the main square (which may not be used anymore, alas). If you want to take a swim in the hot springs, go to the bath Hotel Posta.
- The hot springs of Saturnia, most spectacular .
- The garden of Daniel Spoerri the famous artist has a garden very close to Vivo , with sculptures by himself,
Tuscan wines and food are among the best in Italy. The area has many appealing restaurants and wineries of which you will find a list in the house.