|Minimum Stay||2 - 7 nights|
This cottage is called 'El Cisne' and is part of five available at 'Granja Henderson', an 111 acre farm in the heart of Punta del Este.
106 sq m or 1141 sq.ft.
Master bedroom has 1 queen size bed.
Bedroom #2 has two single beds.
Loft has one single bed.
Bedroom #3 has a single bed (originally maid's room).
Bathroom #1 has a tub.
Bathroom #2 is outside by rear entrance (originally maid's bathroom).
This cottage has recently been fitted with a Magma wood fireplace. It heats up the entire house and is a joy to stay during the cold months on the southern winter! It faces the living room but has an intricate hot air plumbing that blows warm air into the master bedroom and the bedroom #2
Every guest staying at Granja Henderson has complementary access to all the vegetables that are grown on site at the organic vegetable garden!
Wildlife is abundant here. It is amazing to be so close to Punta and be able to enjoy mother nature at its fullest without the noises, people, traffic, pollution associated with city life. Here is a list of some wildlife that surrounds the Granja Henderson:
Lots of birds (Chaja, tero teru, hornero, swans, benteveo, pirincho, picaflor, cotorra, golondrina, halconcito, gorrion, cuervillo, sabia, ratonera, picabuey, garza, calandria, carancho, carpintero, cisne, cuervo, viudita, paloma, tordo, zorzal, chimango, chingolo, churrinche, murcielago, picapalo, golondrinas, tijereta, gallineta)
Zorro, nutria, mulita, aperia, huron, liebre, zorillo, comadreja, guazu, aperea.
About Granja Henderson:
This was my mother's patch. Her childhood farm. Her parents acquired it in 1942. The place she grew up on. Where her whole family spent their holidays and weekends. Second home and until recently first one too. Originally a chicken farm, later a dairy, then a Quarter Horse breeding facility. Now rental of cottages.
'El Cisne' was the first cottage built on the farm; 1943. The name came from the swans found on Laguna del Diario, in droves, lots of black necked swans swimming placidly on the lake. My grandfather lived here with my mother's family on weekends and holidays while he went building the rest of the farm. Being a civil engineer he knew what he was doing... and being extra-thorough of character he built with a sturdiness that people nowadays, when we recycle some building shake their heads in disbelief! The pergola under which the cars are parked in the summer, with exuberant foliage, is purely purple flowers in spring. Quite a sight. And in the summer many a barbecue is cooked on the 'parrillero'.
A little about Laguna del Diario. This lagoon is called thus because the horses that were used a great deal or on a daily basis for the garrison (colonial times) were allowed loose on the fields around the lake. The Sierra de la Ballena was hostile and they didn't climb up over it. So the daily horses were to be fetched from there. This is the translation for Diario. A diario means on a daily basis. All places in the countryside in Uruguay that are a Dead End are named Rincón. Thus the area where my grandfather's farm was, was called Rincón del Diario. It is in disuse now, as another road has been built to access the area.
Rental Rules and Regulations
1. CHECK-IN 4 PM CHECK OUT 12 PM
2. NON SMOKING cottage
3. Small pets under 22lbs are permitted in rental cottages only with prior approval. All pets must be leashes at all times.
4. NO renters younger 25 years unless accompanied by an adult
5. DAMAGE DEPOSIT- A damage deposit of 20% rental is required. NO DISHWASHER in this cottage.
6. PAYMENT – An advance payment equal to half of the rental rate is required.
7. CANCELLATIONS – A sixty (60) day notice is required for cancellation.
8. MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY- six (6) persons .
9. Seven night charge required for peak season.
10. INCLUSIVE FEES – Rates includes a Uruguayan tax, a Inmobiliaria fee, electricity, water, gas, Satellite TV, WiFi Internet, wood, towels and linens, kitchen utensils and safe.
11. DAILY MAID CLEANING SERVICE – Is available for fee per hour.
12. RATE CHANGES – Rates subject to change without notice.
13. FALSIFIED RESERVATIONS – Any reservation obtained under false pretense will be subject to forfeiture of advance payment, deposit and/or rental money, and the party will not be permitted to check in.
14. WRITTEN EXCEPTIONS – Any exceptions to the above mentioned policies must be approved in writing in advance.
15. PARKING – Parking is limited to two (2) vehicles.
16. LIABILITY - All of the cottages are privately owned; the owners are not responsible for any accidents, injuries or illness that occurs while on the premises or its facilities.
17. FARM ANIMALS – Please stay away from all farm and wild animals. Every pasture surrounding the cottages are fitted with electrical wire which is designed to keep animals at bay, but WILL shock a human being at low currents. Due to the characteristic of our thatched roof cottages we do our best to keep insects at bay. You will, however, most likely encounter spiders, bees and bats.
18. FARM ACTIVITY – This is an active farm. Personnel are working from early hours of the morning till late afternoon with a long lunch break and specially in hot summer days. You will hear farm tractor noises, lawn mowing machinery, etc. We try to minimize noises in the mornings so our guests can rest.
19. COTTAGES CONDITION – These are original 1940's farm cottages. There is NO Air Conditioning equipment apart from the warm winter fireplace. The summer heat is kept out by the excellent insulation of the thatched roof and the double brick walls.
20. FIREWORKS – Fireworks are NOT allowed.
21. ORGANIC VEGETABLE GARDEN – One basket for a complementary vegetable picking.
22. REMOTE GATE OPENER – One (1) Remote Main Gate Opener included.
My wife and I visited Uruguay for the first time in March 2015. During our stay we traveled around the area exploring and enjoyed returning to our cozy cottage waiting for us at Granja Henderson. Each morning I would look out on the country side, sip my coffee, and watch the glistening shards of light dancing the morning fog away revealing the silhouettes of horses grazing on sweet grass in the pasture. Our farm cottage was spacious, fully equipped and for me it was like a slice of history. I wanted to work their fields, walk the pastures, and get my hands dirty in the rich soil, and yes it brought back wonderful memories of when I grew up working on my grandparents farm.
Granja Henderson estate is located about 1.3 km from the beach and it is about 10 to 15 minutes to Punta del Este. So the location was perfect for us. The farm has easy highway access to Montevideo in one direction or Punta del Este and beyond in the other direction.
My wife and I had many wonderful experiences with meeting such kind, helpful, interesting, and genuine Uruguayans. This leads me back to Granja Henderson farm. I would like to personally thank and complement the farm manager Guillermo who made our stay a wonderful experience! Guillermo and the staff were kind and helpful, a true complement to the nature of Uruguayan people. Of special note, Mercedes (the accountant) for her help and Guillermo who embraced my English with his internet phone translator as well as my poor Spanish. I must also mention that we loved the daily organic garden fresh vegetables, fresh milk, homemade cheese & butter, and eggs. If you are looking for a place to stay while traveling in Uruguay we highly recommend that you experience Granja Henderson.
We had a bit of a hard time finding the place, but we called and got directions easily. Our stay here was amazing. The location is perfect. We basically had a private beach (.5 to .75 miles down the road and very easy to get to). Guillermo really made our trip special. Despite our language barrier, we were able to communicate. Every morning, he would give us fresh milk, eggs and vegetables from the garden. He even let me borrow his fishing gear for the beach!
There is a parrilla outside the home, and we used it every night. We would wake up and the area would be cleaned up and there was a new pile of wood to start up again. The level of service here is superior. We could not complain about one thing.
There is a great little restaurant that opens around 7:30 p.m. just down the road called Viejo Almacen. They cook lots of meat on their parrilla and have house made raviolis that were great.
We would definitely stay at Granja Henderson (any of the homes) the next time we return to Uruguay. It was a special stay.
I come to Granja Henderson every year since 2008, looking forward to spend a peaceful summer time at a safe property in this Uruguayan “à la mode” city beach. Never have I been disappointed, nor my husband or our 27 year old daughter. The cottages are clean with comfortable queen size beds, very well provided, and the room service is as diligent, polite and honest as it can be. We enjoy twilight walks around the private grounds, where horses wander about in the pasture, silent reading moments, meals in the open, the best organic vegetables, and a barbecue for the classic “asado”. Idyllic for those who find nature and country side lifestyle pleasant, and also want to enjoy the benefits of a close ocean beach as well.
Inés, 53, uruguayan, frequent traveller to europe and USA.
This place has a special energy....just being there feels great! The gardens that stretch between the houses are lush and very well kept.
The house is simple, but has great character, and somehow, just feels right in it's context.
Ten minutes from Punta del Este, and close to secluded beaches, and the wonder of Punta Ballena....an ideal location......and a very good choice!
|Rate Period||Nightly||Weekend Night||Weekly||Monthly *||Event|
Dec 24 2015 - Jan 10 2016
7 night minimum stay
Jan 11 2016 - Jan 31 2016
6 night minimum stay
Feb 1 2016 - Feb 29 2016
2 night minimum stay
My Standard Rate
2 night minimum stay
|Property Damage Protection||$59.00|
Prices are all inclusive of 10.5% taxes, 8% real estate fee, electricity, water, etc.
US residents ONLY can purchase Property Damage Insurance:
http://www.propertydamageprotection.com/ and opt-out of 20% damage deposit.
* Approximate monthly rate. Actual rate will depend on the days of the month you stay.
Payment is usually accepted in the quoted currency (USD) unless the currency and the amount is specifically agreed in advance with the owner / advertiser.