'Witten Pond' is comprised of three homes on a 15-acre owner-estate, which is bordered by the 'forever wild' Catskill State Forest Preserve and NYC-protected Wittenberg Stream. The original home, circa 1910, recently-restored 'Lily of the Valley,' is furnished in art and antiques. The second is a more contemporary dwelling, 'Witten Gatehouse' with spa bathroom. The third is 'Witten Barn,' an architectural feat of old and new. 'Witten Pond' homes provide perfect private realms for a romantic, or private, getaway and small business retreat.
1) “Lily of the Valley' is a restored circa 1900 chestnut post and beam 'Swiss Cottage style' lodge. Huge Chelsea loft-style bedroom/library occupies the entire 2nd floor, which looks out on Witten Pond, Wittenberg Stream and high Catskill peaks. 1300 sq. ft. on two floors with porches on 3 sides. Light on 6 sides (4 walls and 2 roofs). The 1st floor has a master bath with clawfoot tub and hand-held European shower, living room with wood burning stream-stone fireplace, and country kitchen with bluestone counters. Covered porches are on three sides. Sitting area in back with wood burning Tuscan wood grill, teak sitting benches, gardens, and picnic table overlooking Witten Pond. Swimming (at guest risk) and fishing (catch-and-release) in Witten Pond, which is also owned by the owner. Wittenberg Stream, a classic trout stream, is just across the road. Lily amenities include Wifi internet, DVD/TV, CD/radio, massage table, and excellent cell service. House is furnished with antiques and Hudson Valley art.
Lily of the Valley, one of three houses part of the family-owned estate, Witten Pond, is surrounded by mountain peaks, rushing water, and stone walls. “Zen-like” describes the property to some as does 'attention to detail,' 'most relaxing rental home ever,' 'what a find,' 'a claw foot tub and wood burning fireplace,' 'incredible light,' 'well-curated library,' and a guest remarking “Is this the house that inspired Ralph Lauren?” A lovingly restored historic home furnished with antiques, fine art, and in contemplative comfort with the incredible cultural richness of the Hudson Valley at your fingertips. A romantic 'home of the heart.'
2) ' Witten Gatehouse' is a stone and wood 2-story cottage. There is light on 4 sides. 650 sq. ft. on two floors, the 2nd floor open and looking out on the 1st floor windows. The perfect rental with 'Lily of the Valley' to provide for two couples or a couple and family. Recently restored in contemporary style with with upstairs open loft bedroom and a bathroom spa.
The Gatehouse amenities include very good cellular and Wifi internet ... not always available in much of the Woodstock area, DVD/TV, showered bathroom. The 2nd story bedroom is reached by circular staircase, has a skylight looking out on Witten Pond and mountains, and opens to the living room below, filled with light and the sound of rushing water from Wittenberg Stream. Great northern light for a painter. Perfect for a writer. The 1st floor has the bathroom (shower), living room and kitchenette with local bluestone counters; wood burning Franklin fireplace; looks out on owner's gardens, Witten Pond, and mountain views. French front doors open to small stone sitting patio. Sitting bench for Gatehouse is at and directly on pond. An artist and writer's haven, wonderfully open with 2-story ceilings.
3) 'Witten Barn' is across Witten Pond from Lily and the Gatehouse. The Barn Residence is stunning, contemporary, streamlined and sleek in its architectural design, leaving the resident wanting for nothing. Witten Barn is filled with light on its three sides on both floors. An open kitchen without equal for any chef's delight overlooks a spacious living room with a Tuscan wood-fire fireplace. A hand-wrought verdigris spiral staircase leads to the 2nd floor master bedroom suite with an amazing sculptured bath.
You can locate our other two high quality Private Realm getaway homes on HomeAway:
The Barn at Witten Pond #3672478;
The Gatehouse at Witten Pond #3777731
The culture and lifestyles of Woodstock, Rhinebeck, Hudson, and New Paltz are an easy drive away. Historic Woodstock, which has a year-round vibrant art and music community together with many restaurants, galleries and shops, is a 20 minute drive along scenic back roads.
• The Hudson Valley is a cornucopia of fresh vegetables, fruits, organic meats, bakeries, vineyards, orchards, and the Culinary Institute of America.
• The luxury Emerson Spa Resort is a 15 minute drive away (perfect for breakfast too)
• The ski resorts of Belleayre and Hunter are 30 minutes away.
• Historic Kingston, the first capitol of NY State, dates from the 1600’s and has a historic district and a vibrant harbor on the Hudson River.
• New Paltz with SUNY NewPaltz, the Dorsky Art Musem ,and Historic Huguenot Street, the oldest street in America with its 1600’s stone houses, and the world-class historic Mohonk Mountain House with golf, activities, and all amenities on a ridge overlooking New Paltz where world-class rock climbing also takes place.
• Across the Hudson River is Hyde Park with its Vanderbilt Mansion and FDR Home and Museum; Rhinebeck with its Beekman Arms, food and shopping; Bard College with its academic and musicale programs; Hudson with its antique shops and the Olana estate of painter Frederic Church; and Catskill with the historic home of Thomas Cole, founding artist of the Hudson River School.
Witten Pond is a one of-a-kind estate property in the high Catskills, and an easy drive to Woodstock and Phoenicia. Not far from the Zen Mountain Moneastery and a perfect couple or family retreat from City pressure. Nature, panoramic views, rushing water, hand-crafted buildings, and stone walls are the property’s signature.
History & More: Lily of the Valley, hand built circa 1900 as the private fishing lodge of Sheriff of Ulster County, Zadoc Boice, in classic “Swiss Cottage” style. It features stream-stone fireplace with wood-burning insert, chestnut posts and beams, rustic cherry-wood decorative elements, and light on 4 sides. It has been lovingly restored and refurbished by the owner and overlooks spring-fed Witten Pond, which flows into Wittenberg stream then down from Wittenberg mountain into the Ashokan Reservoir.
The 1st floor has much charm and has the feeling of a home at once informal yet lavished with care and comfort. The open 1st floor living/dining area has a separate kitchen with bluestone counters and new refrigerator/freezer and stove/oven. French doors and windows provide light on all 4 sides. An antique chestnut dining table overlooks Witten Pond through French Doors leading to the porch. Owner’s attention to detail is everywhere. The hand crafted cherry-wood banister going upstairs is something to behold. The wood flooring was cut from trees on the property as a wedding gift to the Owner from a neighbor. The bathroom’s claw foot tub also looks out on Witten Pond and mountains.
The 2nd floor Master bedroom/library is filled with light, having 4 skylights and 7 windows. There is a sofa in the library/sitting area, an elevated queen bed in the bedroom area, and picture-window views of Witten Pond and high Catskill peaks. The sitting/reading area has a sofa/bed, twig rocker, antique writing table, Danish wood stove, eclectic library, TV/DVD, radio/CD, Wifi internet, and excellent cell reception.
The sitting area at the rear looks over Witten Pond, sitting up against stone walls and looking up a mountain. For entertaining and relaxing it has picnic table, chairs, benches, and hand-built stone charcoal and wood fired Tuscan grill.
Pets with written permission
Housekeeping service after visit is required
Comes with firewood, condiments and two mountain bikes