Nice little chalet, rental experience was lacking
Place was nice enough, two small bedrooms and one larger loft bedroom. Common space was pretty cramped with kitchen area and living room sharing the same room. Not uncommon for a mountain lodge.
The experience renting was a little bit of a hassle. There was some confusion about the total rental fee -- it ended up being about twice as much as I was expecting. When we showed up to take possession, the owner told me I owed him hundreds of dollars. Luckily, I happened to have a checkbook with me or our vacation could have been ruined. The owner was adamant that he communicated the proper per diem rate with extra fees, which turned out to be true, but it was embedded in an email exchange. There was no invoice sent, nor any communication of a total fee for the week. When I sent him a check for what I thought was the total amount -- he confirmed receipt, but didn't tell me that I had an outstanding balance.
The reason why I'd never rent this place again was a) how many times we saw him during the trip (at least 5 times), b) how many rules he has about what you are and are not allowed to do, and c) how poorly equipped the kitchen was.
A) The initial walkthrough took way too long and even included things like: how to operate the light switches, how to turn on the TV, and exactly where he wants you to leave the floormat at all times. In addition, he stopped by multiple times during the week to check in and remind you about certain rules that you weren't following to the letter.
B) I've never had such a restrictive vacation. You much cover the chimnea after every use. No children under 17 in the hot tub. Must take off shoes outside the chalet before you enter. Must lay out towels to place your shoes on. At some point, it snowed during our trip. The owner actually made a trip out to us to tell us we were not allowed to sled on his yard. We have any sleds with us, but even if we did -- why not? The yard was primarily weeds and clover.
C) the kitchen was not well equipped and only had a mish-mash of unmatching plates and cups. It didn't have enough pots or pans to do any real cooking. There were no bowls large enough to eat cereal and only 2 actual bowls of any sort. There were a couple of high sided plates that I'm sure you could argue are "bowls", but not enough to cover 3 BR of people.
Place seems to be best suited for child-less couples.
Owner's Response: In response to Mr. Lee
I am surprise to hear that Mr. Lee was dissatisfied with his stay at our Chalet in March of 2013; this was never brought to our attention until his review was posted SIX months after the fact. We have a newly renovated Chalet with over 1,000 square feet of living space. The Chalet is well stocked with all new furniture, carpet, fireplace, beds and linens.
• Rates: Our website specifically states the policies and rates, there are no surprises. We take great pride in meeting our guest and giving them a courtesy tour. Mr. Lee indicated the rates were imbedded in an email exchange. Email and phone call is our form of communication.
• Mr. Lee states he saw me five times during his stay. The facts are, I made two visits during the week to the property, one was scheduled to service the spa and the second, was to remove 12 inches of snow from the deck and path way to the parking area for the family’s safety and convenience.
• On the day of the snow removal, I informed Mr. Lee that his family could sled on the community property adjacent to our property.
• The kitchen is very well equipped and it is not uncommon to have some dishes that are not an exact match. There is adequate supply of pots and pans.
• The light switch: there was no discussion about light switches, nor any discussion of where to place floor mats, towels or how to operate the TV. We do appreciate guest removing their shoes just inside the door of the Chalet, but not required. There was no discussion of covering the chimenea after each use.
• As for the Spa, we were informed by the Spa Company it is not recommended for the use of children under the age of 15 years of age.
• We encourage you to view the photos posted on our website of our lawn. We take great pride in maintaining the interior and exterior of our property for our customer’s enjoyment. We can assure you there are NO weeds growing in our lawn.
• I believe these false and exaggerated statements are an attempt by Mr. Lee to discredit our good reputation due to the fact he was stop twice during the week for excessive speeding. Mr. Lee was traveling through the neighborhood doing 40 mph per hour in a posted speed limit of 15 mph zone.
• If this customer was so dissatisfied why did he stay for six days and nights and also wait 6 months to state his dissatisfaction?
Helpful votes: 1/1
Did you find this review helpful?