This is a two story rental.. While talking with the owner "home schooler " Diane about the property , you get one story, when you check in you get the other..
1.) Was told only a 4 minute walk to the beach. try 15 min.+ 2.) was listed as Air Conditioned.. only has a small window unit in upstairs in kids bedroom. 3.) listed as cable and satellite T.V. .. only had internet t.v., wich went out every 15 min.
4.)listed as Housekeeping provided .. yea, your the housekeeper. The sheets were still dirty from the previous guest , and Diane asked that we clean all the sheets before we leave, and take garbage to the dump. Wich she had no idea were the dump was. 5.) Was told I would have a dock for my boat. wich was removed by a rude member of the assoc. a half hour after we checked in. This tiny house smelled like a musty old sock when we checked in and the " updated cottage " furniture was from the early 70's.. The master bedroom only has full size materess on the floor with a five foot ceiling. Nothing like banging your head first thing in the morning. We recieved several collection calls for the owner during our stay. One from the Electric Co. This probably explains while after chasing Diane down weeks after we checked out for our security deposit . she only sent 1/2 of the deposit back, claiming the unit smelled like smoke. Not knowing my wife as stage 4 lung cancer . So yea , we were smoking in the unit.. Hope she spends the money on her bills.. It was so nice to get home.. Craig
Owner's Response: - This guest provided his own sheets as specified in the rental agreement. The owner provided no sheets.
- The beach is a 4-5 minute walk for healthy kids and adults. It may take much longer for a cigarette smoker with compromised health.
- Prior to move in we notified the guest via phone that Dish TV was not working due to trees blocking the signal. As an alternative we offered internet TV via Roku. We gave him the opportunity to cancel his plans for a full refund. He declined the offer to cancel saying it would be "good to spend a week without television as he has 10 TV's in his house".
- The cottage was built in the early 1900's and received a top to bottom structural and interior makeover/updating in the 1980's.
- Upon entering the cottage after this guest left we were bowled over by the smell of cigarette smoke. The yard outside the front door was littered with white cigarette butts (Marlboro Lights?).
- The rental agreement signed by the guest strictly forbids smoking on the premises. This includes the interior of the home and the entire property. This guest violated those conditions. We would have been justified in retaining his entire security deposit. As it was, we returned 50% of the deposit ($75.00) within 10 days of his move out date.
- Our listing does not include a dock/mooring for guests, nor did we claim it did.
- We manage several rental properties including this one. All utility bills are addressed to our main home (where they are paid promptly each month). Central Maine Power does not have this property's phone # in their records. There are no collection calls. This is a false statement which borders on libel.
- This guest presented himself as being a key manager at a nearby golf resort. He offered to trade a one week stay for free at the resort he worked for in exchange for a week at our cottage. We rejected this offer as it was not ethical (legal?) for him to offer his employer's property in exchange for his personal benefit. Upon learning of this offer I told my wife this person sounded unscrupulous and we should think twice about renting to him.
This guest is flaming us over retaining $75 of his security deposit due to his cigarette smoking in the house and cigarette debris in the yard. We would never rent to this clown again. I wonder if his employer knows he's offering to barter away his employer's property for free stays at cottages on Home Away??
Helpful votes: 4/6
Did you find this review helpful?