In a nutshell....so much to do and enjoy:
- Elk and other Wildlife Viewing (Quehanna Wild Area, Moshannon State Forest, Elk State Forest, Allegheny National Forest and various state parks......);
- Bird Watching (Shaggers Inn, Beaver Run, Clarion River, Little Drummer, George Stevenson Dam.....);
- Antique/Craft Stores (Grant's Pass, Elk Country Store, Ridgway, Hollywood Exchange....);
- Taverns (Big Trout, Benezette Hotel, Medix Inn, Weedville Hotel, Jeeppinn, Gunners.....);
- Wineries Ground Hog Wine Trail!!), the Straub Brewery and Distilleries;
- Historical Sites (Ridgway, Clarion River Rails to Trails, Arroyo, Kinzua Bridge State Park, Lumber Museum, Zippo Factory & Museum.....);
- Floating / Canoeing / Kayaking local rivers (Clarion River, West Branch of the Susquehanna.......Country Squirrel Outfitters, LAzy River Canoe Rental; McCrackin Canoes);
- Hiking & Snowshoeing (Fred Woods Trail, Pine Tree Trail, Elk Trail, Bucktail Trail, Quehanna Trail and cross connectors, Parker Dam State Park, Wykoff Run Wild Area......) and
- scenic drives (Elk Scenic Drive, Bucktail Trail, Wykoff Run Road, Caledonia Pike, SR 120, SR 555 and much more!).
Be sure to visit the Elk Country Visitors Center and the Keystone Elk Country Alliance (and support the effort!).
Visit local train tunnels or bridges - built during the Civil War!
Fish the local waters for trout, bass, catfish, perch and more.
Hunt local woods for elk, deer, bear, turkey, grouse and more.
Bike along the Clarion River/Little Toby Creek Rails to Trails or one of many local back roads.
Visit the Cross or Decker's Chapel.
Stop by local artisan or craft shops - Laughing Dog Mosaics, Donnell's Gift Shop, Nuthatch Studio, Myers Welding and Fabricating, Elk County Council on the Arts, Appalachian Arts Studio w/ the Chainsaw Rendezvous.
Or, plan to visit and attend a local festival or fair - Elk Expo, Ridgway Chainsaw Rendezvous, County Fair in Clearfield, Elk and Jefferson Counties; Tasting in the Wilds; Firemen's Carnivals, St. Leo's Summer Picnic; 4th of July Celebrations and Fireworks, St. Marys Bavarian Festival and more.
Rock climbing or exploring...have it in the area with Devils Den, The Rocks, Bilger's Rocks and more.
Geocaching? Sites galore...
Interested in Old Growth Trees? - Heart's Content, Cook Forest State Park, Quehanna, Hammersly Fork......
A horse or horse and wagon ride? - Classic Keystone Guide and Outfitters; Elk Country Visitor Center.
See local visitor or vacation bureau websites, along with chambers of commerce for more activities, events, festivals and happening in the area - PA Great Outdoors, Clearfield County, Allegheny National Forest, Ridgway/Elk County, St. Marys.........