: Volcano or Hilo
: Pahoa - Kaleos, Luquin's, Thai Food, Pizza
The Pualani Tropical Dream House is located in Kapoho Beach Lots on the Southeastern tip of the Big Island of Hawaii. It is 40 minutes south of the Hilo airport. Kapoho is a beautiful place—a peaceful and quiet place that’s perfect for those who want no part of “tourist Hawaii.” We try our best to make it very clear that there are few tourist accommodations near here. We have many beautiful swimming spots on or near the ocean, a couple of sandy beaches near Hilo and a beautiful scenic drive to the other side of the island will let you discover even more of the lovely beaches on our island. We chose Pualani in Kapoho as our vacation home for the very reason that there is very little tourist traffic here and that this is one of the last places on the islands that is still considered “real Hawaii.” If you have already experienced “tourist Hawaii” and are ready for something different, you might like this. A short drive to Pohoiki surf spot, Ahalanui Hot Pond, Champagne Pond & Volcano!
Other Activities: Swim with the turtles in geothermally heated lagoons and snorkel in the Kapoho tide pools!
Golf: Golf course in Hilo and Volcano!
Some things that I enjoy that are free:
1) Ride my bike to the ocean access spots and go snorkeling. My favorite spot is the southernmost cove at Vacationland.
2) Go for a soak and swim in the rain at Champagne Pond.
3) Visit Hilo on Wed or Sat mornings to go to the farmer's market. It is wonderful!
4) Visit the Makuu Farmer's Market on Sundays - local food, music, crafts, etc.
5) Swim in the Pahoa Olympic Size Pool - open daily from 8:30-5 and weekends 9-4 and it's free!!
6) Visit the Pana'Ewa Rain Forest Zoo just south of Hilo.
7) Go for a swim/soak at the Ahalanui Hot Pond
8) Hike to the new black sand beach in Kalapana where the road ends (and have an ice cream - lunch at the restaurant here is very good too!!)
9) Hike to Green Lake (lots of places to hike on the island!)
Some things that I enjoy that are not free
1) Go to Volcano National Park
2) Visit the Botanical Gardens north of Hilo
3) Have lunch or dinner at Cafe Pesto
4) My very favorite restaurant is Kaleo's in Pahoa. 'Ono' food, and live entertainment on Thursdays and Sunday evenings. Best to make reservations. A little pricey.
5) Stop for take out fish & chips at the fish market in Pahoa at the Malama Market Shopping Center and bring it back to the house to eat and watch the ocean.
6) I love Lemongrass in Keaau for a plate lunch to take back to the house too!
7) The Thai food restaurants in Pahoa are very good if you like Thai
8) Luquin's for Mexican food and a margarita (Pahoa)
9) Paolo's is excellent Italian food (Pahoa)
10) The Hilo Bay Cafe in the Walmart Shopping Center is very good and healthy
11) The Ponds restaurant in Hilo
12) Ken's Pancackes Hilo