Imagine your own private ranch resort with charming native-stone cabins, poolside cabana, lighted tennis court, fitness center, full-court basketball, game room, hot tub, river rapids, fishing, abundant wildlife, miles of trails, and plenty of other activities for all ages.
Red Sands Ranch is located on the crystal clear Llano River between the towns of Mason and Fredericksburg and is the perfect spot for family or friends reunions, corporate gatherings, or even tennis team retreats. There are three self-contained rock cabins plus a separate bunkhouse, a Party Shed with flatscreen TV, billiards and ping-pong, and a tennis court, all surrounding a massive 53' pool with spa, grotto, and luxury Cabana with full stainless kitchen, WIFI, and 55in flatscreen. The nearly 1/2 mile of fast-flowing, rock-bottom river runs from the deep pools and spectacular 200' red sandstone cliffs (featured on the cover of Texas Monthly Magazine) at the west end of the ranch to more deep water and limestone bluffs to the east. A meandering path leads down to the perfect spot in the river to set a few lounge chairs and chill under an umbrella while the kids shoot the rapids in a tube or one of the available kayaks. For fisherman or paddlers, there is an amazing 2-3 hr trip that terminates at the ranch which is the highlight of a longer trip that was listed as one of the top twenty paddling trips in the state of Texas! The ranch foreman lives on the property about a mile away and is usually available to assist with whatever arises. For horse owners, there is a corral, tack room, covered stall, and miles of trails. And of course there are plenty of lounge chairs around the solar heated pool with separate hot tub and a secret 'mine shaft' cave with a little surprise inside the kids will enjoy. Whether you stay for the weekend or the entire week, Red Sands Ranch is a special place you'll want to come back to year after year.
Accomodations: Total of four (4) separate cabins. All air-conditioned with additional space heating, and hot water (plus spa heat) provided by one of the largest solar heating installations in the Hill Country.
- A bunkhouse that sleeps 4 plus three (3) self contained rustic, rock cabins that each sleep up to six (plus additional cots and sleeping pads for kids), each with a wood fireplace, full bath, stained concrete floors, covered porch, bedroom or sleeping loft, WIFI, satellite TV, and kitchenette (sink, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, toaster oven and one-burner cooktop).
(1) 'The Fish Camp' - a native sandstone cabin with local river-rock fireplace, chimney, and other accents. The covered back porch includes a hammock and overlooks the river and huge pecan trees below. There is a full size pull-out futon downstairs and two full size beds in the sleeping loft -- accessible via ladder. The bath features an antique clawfoot tub and an outdoor shower.
(2) 'Lorenz House' - the largest of the 3 cabins named after the pioneer family that settled this section of the ranch in the mid 1800's. There is a queen futon sofa down and stairs lead to an upper loft/bedroom with an antique full size bed and a trundle with two twin beds. This cabin is also built with local materials and sandstone walls inside and out from the century old rock fences found throughout the ranch, and includes a covered porch swing with views of the bluffs and mountains across the river.
(3) 'The Bunkhouse' - 4 twin beds and a sink/vanity with beautiful views from a balcony cantilevered out over the pool. Note that access to the detached pool bathroom is via lighted gravel pathway.
(4) 'Riverside' - This Fredericksburg limestone cabin has the best views of the river from inside the cabin or on the covered back deck from the hammock, rocking chairs, or cedar porch swing. There is a huge masonry fireplace and it sleeps six also with a queen bed downstairs and a full bed in the upstairs bedroom, along with a twin bed and twin rollaway bed.
The cabins are situated around a beautifully landscaped grilling area which includes a large charcoal grill, picnic table, smoker, and 'cantina' with four cushioned lounge chairs.
'Simons House' - built in 1860 by Conrad Simons and currently occupied by the ranch foreman, is a classic German story-and-a-half structure with 2ft thick sandstone walls and hand-hewn oak headers supporting the doors and windows. The home is beautifully restored to much of its original character and is visible at the Ranch entrance.
- Striking poolside open-air cabana with old barnwood ceilings supported by huge hand-made wooden trusses. There is an oversized gas grill and full stainless kitchen, dishwasher, two refrigerator/freezers, built-in microwave, two sinks, soapstone countertops, marine-grade mahogany cabinetry, WIFI, 55in LCD satellite television with home theater sound, DVD, and iPod inputs with speakers located throughout the pool complex. The curved 11' cast concrete bar has eight rustic barstools and a sectional sofa. In the wintertime or during inclement weather, the unique steel and glass doors can be lowered to fully enclose the room.
- 'The Shack' party shed. A favorite hangout area for the kids, features a flatscreen TV, billiards with a competition-grade, removeable top for table tennis, and lots of eclectic neon lighting and funky decor.
- Swimming Pool. A free-form 53' gunite pool in a natural setting that blends seamlessly into the fabled Simonsville Topaz Mine where the abandoned mineshaft, old Mill, flume, and many of the relics of 'old mining days' can still be seen.
- Fitness Center with treadmill, recumbent bicycle, universal weight machine, dumbells, situp bench, and pullup/dip bars. Also has a sink with granite countertop, satellite TV, and workout towels provided. There is also a queen-sized self-inflating mattress so that the room can be converted to a bedroom at night for large crowds.
- The fully lighted tennis court includes a practice wall, and full-court basketball across one end with NCAA-quality glass backboards and an ice-cold drinking fountain.
- Rolling hill country terrain (nearly cedar-free) with large stands of Live Oaks hundreds of years old and mountain views in all directions. In addition to horses and livestock, wildlife is abundant and includes whitetail and axis deer, antelope, turkey, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, quail, dove, roadrunners, ducks/geese, eagles and more, The breath-taking stretch of river on the ranch includes everything from fast-moving rapids over a solid rock bottom for most of the length (where hard-fighting Guadalupe Bass are common) to slow, deep water at either end (where catfish as large as 35 lbs have been caught). Note that in order to preserve the quality of fishing at Red Sands, trot lines are not allowed and most of the fishing is catch/release with a maximum of one 'keeper' allowed per fisherman. Note: river activities may be affected by current drought.
Disclaimer: Red Sands is a working Texas cattle ranch with inherent risks or hazards including, but not limited to, rough terrain, heavy equipment, deep and/or fast-moving water, livestock and wild animals, etc. and is not recommended for vegetarians or families with very young children without adequate supervision.
Note: Privately owned family-oriented resort. No 'Youth groups', bachelor or keg parties . Minimum age of 30 required to register for your group.
Keywords: Waterfront, Ranch, Resort, River, Tennis, Pool, water slide, Cabins, Cottages, Texas Hill Country, family reunion, Estate, Retreat, Riverfront, Fishing, Kayaking