The original lodge was built in 1937 and began operation that same year. Sadly, this beautiful, old building burned down just after Labor Day of 2013. As of now, the building has been replaced and is operating! We continue to add little touches and improvements on the original to make it an even better place to stay. Happily, we were able to retain the original fieldstone fireplace in the living room. Follow us on Facebook to see photos of the building process.
The new building looks almost the same on the outside, occupying the original footprint and using the same style. The photos you see on this page are very close to what the new place looks like, except for some improvements. We will be adding an ADA-compliant wheelchair lift to our deck for wheelchair access, as well as additional entrances from the deck. The front porch is still reached by stairs, though they are wider and easier to climb.
Inside, the first floor is all on one level with no steps between parts of the building. We have added an 8th bedroom and renovated another space (previously storage) into a game room. Interior styling replicates the original building with wood paneling throughout the 1st floor and most windows oriented for lake views. The bedrooms contain a mix of four queen beds and eight twin beds.
The kitchen has stainless steel commercial appliances as before, and is somewhat larger! The dining room seats over 40 people with room for another table or two.
Our long-time guests who come every year are excited to see what's new and those who have already been in love it! If you've never visited with us before, come and see what so many others have known for decades.
Echo Lake is the best place in Maine!
Now, we have even more options for people looking for someplace to stay in Maine during the fall and winter. Our building is fully winterized, so you can visit any time! And if you can't or don't want to get a large group together, call us to book just a room or two. We serve breakfast when folks are staying in small parties.
- Hunters, come check out the woods behind our place. We see lots of deer and rabbits.
- Ice fishermen, cusk and lake trout are popular species to catch on Echo Lake in the winter. Last year, we had 36 inches of solid ice!
- Snow mobile riders, we are a short ride from ITS Connector 115, as well a network of trails maintained by local riding clubs. And the lake is big enough to really put on some speed.
- Holiday travelers, think about having your whole family come. The kitchen is perfect for that Thanksgiving feast. The living room can take up to a 9-foot Christmas tree. Or just use us for overflow guests. It's all good!
- Events are also welcome! Need a place for a destination wedding? How about a really cool business retreat? We can host you overnight, or just for the day.