Nice property, great views, just OK value
The house has plenty of nice features: the view is pretty, the deck and grill are great, but we've rented several places on VRBO over the past couple of years and we were disappointed by several things that you wouldn’t expect to find in a similarly priced summer rental.
• Bed linens were fine/nice, but bath towels all smelled musty even after we re-washed and dried many times
• Poorly outfitted kitchen with a tiny, old coffee maker, a tiny toaster that burned everything, no proper lobster pot (A real lobster pot should be a standard issue item for a house in coastal Maine!).
• The rest of the house was in good repair.
• Surfaces were generally clean and there was no trash about, but there’s lots of visible dirt you don’t find in places where the owners spend any meaningful amount of time or have a professional cleaning service.
• Listing pictures are accurate and the house can certainly accomodate a lot of people comfortably. As other reviewers have noted, there really isn't any usable waterfront. Basement is huge, but we had no use for it.
• Owner was responsive for booking, but wasn't particularly attentive when it came to our issues and concerns including a broken glass item in the living room which could have been a hazard for the children had I not found it myself after we arrived.
We wouldn't recommend this house to our friends at the rate we were charged. This house only makes sense if you need a nice big place to fit a large family or group and you dont sweat the details. If you aren't stuffing the place full, its not worth it. There are plenty of other nice houses in Maine. Most of our issues could be easily solved with a 45 minute shopping trip in Freeport and a professional cleaning service which I'm sure the owners will address in the future.
Owner's Response: Thanks for the feedback. We’ve replaced the small kitchen items, coffee pot, toaster, lobster pot, etc. We've also recently purchased a new washer and dryer along with new towels. Soon after your stay we had some problems with the hot water heater. After repairing it and now with the new washer dryer we’ve had no further issue with mustiness.
Each year we continue to upgrade the house, last year we added a large deck off the dinning area. We enjoy sitting out there and watching the Osprey and on occasion, Bald Eagles hunt in the cove.
We work hard to maintain the house in good repair and have it professionally cleaned after each rental. We mentioned your feedback to the cleaners. Our expectations are that renters should find a clean and comfortable house when they arrive.
Helpful votes: 4/4
Did you find this review helpful?