Kanab Bungalow Rental Photos and Description
4 Bedrooms, 2 Bathrooms, Convertible bed(s), Sleeps 9
The recently renovated Cross R Ranch house is a historic 1929 Craftsman Bungalow located in colorful Kanab Utah.
The home was on Kanab's 2011 Historic home tour.
The house is located two blocks from downtown Kanab on nine tenths of an acre. The home was built in 1929 by Brigham Adelbert Riggs Jr. a member of one of the first pioneer families in the area. A Rancher, as well as a stonemason by trade, he molded each brick from the red clay found along the Kanab Creek.
The house includes four bedrooms (three with queens, and one with two twins), and a bath, a fully equipped kitchen, dining room (table will expand to accommodate 12) and living room on the main floor and the second level has a bedroom suite with a queen bed, sitting area with futon and new bath. Guests can relax on the front porch or on the patio area where they can grill and enjoy the mountain views.
Starting in the 1920's to the 1990's, hundreds of movies and TV series were filmed in the Kanab area.
Director William Wellman allegedly named Kanab Little Hollywood because of the willingness of local residents to appear in his films. Many Riggs family members had that opportunity. On a quiet night guests can settle in and enjoy watching some of the films on DVD.
Kanab is a perfect base from which to explore Southern Utah. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce and Best Friends Animal Sanctuary are just a few of the many scenic areas to visit. A special time to visit Kanab is during Western Legends Roundup usually the last weekend in August.
For large groups, consider renting the Muriel's Place( http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p352107 ) in addition to the Cross R Ranch house. They are on the same block, one house apart.
- pets considered
- non smoking only
- Long-term Renters Welcome
- children welcome
- wheelchair inaccessible
Dianne Riggs or Lynn Riggs
Brigham Adelbert Riggs Jr., a carpenter, mason, and rancher, the son of Brigham Sr. and Rachel Ford, built this craftsman bungalow with gable roof. He and his family made the bricks form the native soil found in back of his father’s house across the street near the Kanab creek. He cut the native stone for the foundation and window sills.
Delbert, his wife Miriam Chamberlain, and their six children moved into the home in 1929. His only son, Elson, was 17. After Miriam died in May of 1944, Elson moved back into the house with his wife, Ida Sarah Ward. The home is now owned by Elson’s and Ida’s twin sons Lon and Lynn.
Elson, a surveyor and rancher, also operated a shoe shop in Kanab. Ida didn’t like the way sand blew into the house under the French doors, so she replaced them with windows. Elson searched for and found the same location where his dad had cut the sills for the rest of the house and cut out the sill for the new window like his dad had shown him.
The home is now owned by Elson and Ida's two sons.
The property is located a few blocks from the town center on a quite street.
The landscaped property is well shaded for your outdoor comfort and central air conditioning for your indoor comfort. the home is on a large lot with lots of off-street parking for your cars and toys.