Sept 14-16, 2012
We had a brief weekend in this house bringing family together in the late summer. The house is exactly as described and the pictures are accurate.
- This has to be the most well-stocked kitchen we have ever seen in a vacation rental. It would be easy to prepare and feed a small army. Well done and thanks.
- Clearly the owners care about the house as well as making sure the renters have a good time. We enjoyed the kayaks, paddle boat and even tossed the tube on the back of the powerboat (we rented from Bridgewater Marina)
- A very nice and quiet cove which makes for calm paddling.
- Brilliant west facing sunsets.
- a very quiet neighborhood. You'll need a GPS to find the place (TomTom and Google worked) but it's pretty easy your next time in or out to find it.
- Maybe 10 minutes to Food Lion and just over 15 to Kroger (Kroger wins for selection). Customer cards are on the board in the house for those that don't have them to get the best discounts.
- The county recycles. Glass, Aluminum, Plastic and paper in separate bins. I say this as a Pro but we found that we were hanging different bags everywhere to manage this. Drop off is less than 10 minutes away (it's at the water tower).
- We couldn't find the code for the Wireless Internet. Not a big deal as we travel with our own but others may be flummoxed.
- The house is not new and shows it's age in some areas.
- There is a problem with the septic system. In no way should 12 people be in this house using showers and toilets. This is my reduction in stars from 5 to 4. The system needs to be repaired and then water saver showerheads and efficient toilets installed as well as the removal of the garbage disposal in the kitchen to help the system process correctly. I understand that this is not an easy or cheap fix but it should not continue to be used this way.
- Parking is tight - at most, 4 cars in the driveway and it has a steep slope. Limited or non-existent overnight parking for more than that.
- Just OK for elderly or those with walking challenges. Two steps up to the deck/main entrance from the driveway and then very low thresholds on the main floor. Just have to get down the slope of the driveway but was doable. Not wheelchair appropriate. Only access to lake is a very steep backyard (very typical for SML) to stairs to more stairs so that limits access for people who want to sit on the dock.
Families with Teenagers,
Families with Young Children,
Owner's Response: Thank you for the Pro's list, including, "the owners clearly care about the house & making sure the renters have a good time" Yes, we do!! Customer/Renter satisfaction is our #1 Priority!! "Most well stocked kitchen we have ever seen in a vacation rental.." Yes, my family loves to cook, and we make sure you have EVERYTHING you need in the Kitchen! "Brilliant west facing sunsets" We agree, Evenings are awesome on the back deck, dock, and in the hot tub!
Regarding the Cons, the Wireless Internet code is listed in the Rental Information emails, and the owner is available 7/24 via cell phone to answer any questions. Going forward we will also have the Internet code displayed in the house as back up. Yes, we had a septic drainfield issue in late summer/early fall 2012. This problem has been resolved with the purchase of a brand new septic system & drainfield. There is NO issue any longer. Yes, the driveway parking is limited to appox. 4 cars. But, there is PLENTY of overflow & trailer parking available very close to the house (only 80 yards away) - just ask the owner for details. Regarding the steepness of the lot - yes, there is a slope from the house down to the lake. But, compared to other SML houses, it is a more "gentle" slope than 90% of the other lots on the lake.
Helpful votes: 5/5
Did you find this review helpful?