20% off any September or October 2015 week!
A secluded, private oceanfront villa with stunning 360 degree views of the Caribbean sea, lush valley and mountains. Unique open air architecture to allow you to truly enjoy the Caribbean breezes and extraordinary views. Staff of 3 - all cooking, cleaning, laundry is provided. Private beach, stereo, telescope, etc. Truly a paradise for 2-3 couples, 6 friends or a family or two. Shower al fresco in Les Chaudieres' outdoor shower room!
Please see our website for more info and availability. We are booking more than a year in advance, so please consider reserving now!
Thinking Saint Lucia Villa? (Think Les Chaudieres!)
Keywords: Private Villa Pool Staff Beach
Our parents built this home on a promontory above the Carribean Sea on St. Lucia to take full advantage of the panoramic ocean, mountain and lush valley views and breezes. We'd love to share it with you!
Jeff Durham purchased this villa in 1968
This location is very private but a perfect spot to either do nothing but R&R or to explore every inch of the island, or some variation in between.
Les Chaudieres offers a private setting, a pool, full staff, quiet beach with great snorkeling and diving, nearby restaurants (if Christy's wonderful cooking doesn't keep you close to home!).
The place is terrific for an unwinding week. It’s right out of an architectural magazine. Jeff, the owner, was great about getting us all the info we needed. Everything went off without a hitch. Even a spot of rain now & then was easy to take, just lounging in the great room with a book.
The house is well situated for exploring Soufriere (the Pitons & mountains), much more so than staying in the north (Gros Inlet), which is less mountainous and more arid (less lush). The staff keep you well fed, assuming you do the shopping or do it yourself. There’s an IGA just north of Marigot that is surprisingly well stocked.
Do yourself a favor, and eat in very night. Christie is quite a chef, and delivers a fine creole meal in the confines of your (temporary) home. No worries about driving on windy roads after drinks/dinner. Go ahead, have another rum punch and enjoy the view! There's few restaurants I would consider anyway (Hideaway in Marigot, or Ti Kaye).
Will definitely consider coming back to this place, now that I know the lay of the land in St. Lucia. One tip: It’s a very casual place (not like Bermuda or St. Barts). Dress down, and leave expensive stuff at home for security and to fit in.
This was our first visit to Les Chaudieres. We had an amazing time, the location and staff surpassed our expectations. Our arrival was delayed by a day due to weather in Halifax so arriving at this paradise after 24+ long hours of travel was a dream come true. The view is breath taking and photos do not do it justice.
Our group was 8 adults (ages 25-29) and Jeff and staff were very accommodating by arranging for 2 of us to sleep on the pull out couch in the main room with a mosquito net. This worked really well for our group. The villa was super private. The beach was also very private with other people down on it only one day (on the good friday holiday). Snorkelling was amazing at the beach. The climb back up from the beach definitely earns you a dip in the pool, we found it especially tough the day after our hike up Gros Piton haha. We did a few day trips out from the villa (Gros Piton hike, Marigot Bay for dinner, Pigeon Island, Castries Market) but loved just hanging out at the villa so much that we moved some of our activities around to maximize villa chill time. The pool was also great, we loved being able to use it whenever we wanted. Also there were very few bugs! We were expecting to have to deal with many more bugs than we did. All the beds had bug nets but we all agreed we didnt think we even needed them.
The staff was great! Organizing meals with Christy was very simple, she's got it down to a science. Not having to worry at all about cooking or cleaning was AMAZING! Paul was also great and helped us find our way to the Gros Piton hike as well as being around the villa for little things we needed. Paul lives in the basement of the house but because of the way the house is built you don't even notice there is a basement, making the main villa still feel very private.
Our group all agreed that we think this was one of the most beautiful spots we have ever stayed. We would recommend it to everyone! St. Lucia as an island is also breath taking. We hope to return!
This is our 4th trip to Les Chaudieres and we are looking forward to many more! We have been to a number of islands in the Caribbean, always staying in private villas, but Les Chaudieres is the place we call "home". The home is beautiful, the views are breathtaking, and the staff is top notch. We had a new couple come with us this year who has been going to St. John for years. The husband looked up one day and said "I can't read my book because the view is so amazing!" Every meal is an island delight. The staff will accommodate your every need, from bringing in a masseuse, to arranging a boat charter, scheduling excursions around the island and bringing in spiney lobsters for a most special dinner. You are guaranteed a rainbow almost daily; and if you are really lucky, you will see a green flash as the sun sets below the horizon. Floating in the large pool is our favorite activity. Be sure you take a trip to the rain forest and lovely Marigot Bay. It is truly the most relaxing and stress free vacation!
The home was amazing the views we breath taking the pool was so relaxing listing to the waves crash along the shore watching shooting starts at night and the sunset with the Wales Jumping around the best island vacation we have been to and we have been to many islands I this will be the first island we would go back to again and again the staff was amazing my boys fell in lover with the staff and didn't want to leave we will be back for sure
I'm not writing this review to bash the owner or try to get any sort of refund from him, but more so to make others aware of things we encountered that they may want to inquire about before booking.
- There was a problem with the water pump during our stay and we were unable to use the pool for half of the week. Needless to say, the pool is one of the main features of the property and it was one less thing our two teenage boys had to do during our stay. So, make sure the pump has been remedied before you book, as it also limited the days laundry could be done.
- If you are going to have the staff get your first couple days of food, be specific about what you want. We weren't very specific and ended up with two fish dinners, with the fish alone costing $120 (US). Seems a little expensive for four people to have local fish. Stop at the supermarket in Cul de Sac on the way from the airport and get your own food.
- There is some sort of bar/club on the hill, behind the house, that blared music on multiple nights well past midnight. With no glass windows in the house, it kept us up when we wanted to be asleep.
- While we knew that the beach down below was not part of the property, we were under the impression that it was rarely used. And maybe this was because we were there during a holiday week, but there were people on the beach almost every day, having barbecues and playing music. While we were not opposed to mixing with the locals, it's not something we felt comfortable doing. The beach is easily accessible from the main road and would appear to get more use than we were led to believe.
- The house is getting a bit old. The great room furniture is worn and tired. While the staff are the primary users of the kitchen, we used it too, and it needs to be re-done. The bathrooms also need to be redone. Everything functioned OK but it's time for the owners to invest in the property and upgrade things to expected standards.
- The staff was pleasant enough, but definitely didn't cater to us as other reviewers mentioned.
- The views from the pool deck are amazing. We often found ourselves just sitting there watching the boats go by down below.
- Internet service was surprisingly good, which helped occupy our boys.
All of this was communicated to the owner and he did offer to give us a free week during the off-season to make up for it. It's a nice gesture, but doesn't make up for what turned out to be a letdown of a much-anticipated vacation.
Les Chaudieres is a rustic estate perched on a phenomenally beautiful cliff overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The view of sunsets and rainbows is almost too good to be real. The house is airy and comfortable, but you can't be squeamish about bats, reptiles, and insects, as all are plentiful. The housekeeping staff is extremely friendly, and the food that they prepare would earn a high Zagat rating in any big city in the US. The pool is great, but may not be best for young kids (shallow end is 4 feet deep, no fence). And the 250+ steps down the cliff to the beach are suitable only for fit teens or adults. If you really want to get "away from it all", this is the place for you. No TV, no nightlife (other than gorgeous stars). If you have toddlers, elderly companions, or want the resort lifestyle, you may want to find another spot.
but most of all the most peaceful and relaxing trip imaginable