January 6 - 20, 2015 Just became available...make us an offer!
A secluded, private oceanfront villa with stunning 360 degree views of the Caribbean sea, lush valley and mountains. Unique open air architecture to allow you to truly enjoy the Caribbean breezes and extraordinary views. Staff of 3 - all cooking, cleaning, laundry is provided. Private beach, stereo, telescope, etc. Truly a paradise for 2-3 couples, 6 friends or a family or two. Shower al fresco in Les Chaudieres' outdoor shower room!
Please see our website for more info and availability. We are booking more than a year in advance, so please consider reserving now!
Thinking Saint Lucia Villa? (Think Les Chaudieres!)
Keywords: Private Villa Pool Staff Beach
Our parents built this home on a promontory above the Carribean Sea on St. Lucia to take full advantage of the panoramic ocean, mountain and lush valley views and breezes. We'd love to share it with you!
Jeff Durham purchased this villa in 1968
This location is very private but a perfect spot to either do nothing but R&R or to explore every inch of the island, or some variation in between.
Les Chaudieres offers a private setting, a pool, full staff, quiet beach with great snorkeling and diving, nearby restaurants (if Christy's wonderful cooking doesn't keep you close to home!).
I'm not writing this review to bash the owner or try to get any sort of refund from him, but more so to make others aware of things we encountered that they may want to inquire about before booking.
- There was a problem with the water pump during our stay and we were unable to use the pool for half of the week. Needless to say, the pool is one of the main features of the property and it was one less thing our two teenage boys had to do during our stay. So, make sure the pump has been remedied before you book, as it also limited the days laundry could be done.
- If you are going to have the staff get your first couple days of food, be specific about what you want. We weren't very specific and ended up with two fish dinners, with the fish alone costing $120 (US). Seems a little expensive for four people to have local fish. Stop at the supermarket in Cul de Sac on the way from the airport and get your own food.
- There is some sort of bar/club on the hill, behind the house, that blared music on multiple nights well past midnight. With no glass windows in the house, it kept us up when we wanted to be asleep.
- While we knew that the beach down below was not part of the property, we were under the impression that it was rarely used. And maybe this was because we were there during a holiday week, but there were people on the beach almost every day, having barbecues and playing music. While we were not opposed to mixing with the locals, it's not something we felt comfortable doing. The beach is easily accessible from the main road and would appear to get more use than we were led to believe.
- The house is getting a bit old. The great room furniture is worn and tired. While the staff are the primary users of the kitchen, we used it too, and it needs to be re-done. The bathrooms also need to be redone. Everything functioned OK but it's time for the owners to invest in the property and upgrade things to expected standards.
- The staff was pleasant enough, but definitely didn't cater to us as other reviewers mentioned.
- The views from the pool deck are amazing. We often found ourselves just sitting there watching the boats go by down below.
- Internet service was surprisingly good, which helped occupy our boys.
All of this was communicated to the owner and he did offer to give us a free week during the off-season to make up for it. It's a nice gesture, but doesn't make up for what turned out to be a letdown of a much-anticipated vacation.
Les Chaudieres is a rustic estate perched on a phenomenally beautiful cliff overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The view of sunsets and rainbows is almost too good to be real. The house is airy and comfortable, but you can't be squeamish about bats, reptiles, and insects, as all are plentiful. The housekeeping staff is extremely friendly, and the food that they prepare would earn a high Zagat rating in any big city in the US. The pool is great, but may not be best for young kids (shallow end is 4 feet deep, no fence). And the 250+ steps down the cliff to the beach are suitable only for fit teens or adults. If you really want to get "away from it all", this is the place for you. No TV, no nightlife (other than gorgeous stars). If you have toddlers, elderly companions, or want the resort lifestyle, you may want to find another spot.
By far the best week of vacation ever! Amazing scenery, great staff, the best food ever cooked by Christy, and a fantastic tour guide in Paul. I can't leave out Spot... The friendliest cat you would ever see. We had 6 total people and never got tired of one another because it is very spacious. The open concept is an experience of its own. On the trip we went to the sulfur baths, went on a boat ride, snorkeled, saw the waterfall, and finished off the week at the fish fry! We will go back in the future for sure. My only suggestion is to rent a car with plenty of space for the activities if you have 6 people.
This was one of the best vacations I ever had. The villa, the island sites and the staff combined to make this an experience we will never forget.
The villa is beautiful. The main room is open on three sides and allows the occupants to feel at one with nature. There are cooling ocean breezes both day and night. The pool is large. The views are breath taking. The bedrooms are spacious. There is an outdoor shower in addition to the regular bath accommodations. This is an experience you do not want to miss.
The island has many amazing sites. The rain forest, botanical gardens, volcano, Pitons northern shops and beaches are all breath taking. You must get out to explore the beauty of the island.
The staff is the best part of the experience. They do everything to make your vacation the best. We felt like queens. They really know how to pamper their guest. The meals were amazing.
I have traveled the world. This will be noted as one of my best vacations. My sister agrees.
We recently returned from our stay at Les Chaudieres and it was wonderful! We have been to St. Lucia before but this was our first time renting a house. We have 3 year old twins and I have to say this was a great option for being with the kids. This was our first big trip with them and we were worried about how they would behave and disturbing other people on their own vacations. This was perfect because the villa feels so secluded that you feel like there is no way you could annoy anyone else! But at the same time you are not far at all from the grocery store and the center of town. You are also not too far from Soufriere and Castries etc.
The house itself is beautiful. Sure there are a few things here and there that could use sprucing up, but living in the Caribbean and near the ocean and beach and having an open living area I imagine its impossible to really stay on top of things and there was nothing like that that was really bothersome! The view from the house is simply perfect and the small beach below it is lovely, though we found ourselves not wanting to leave the house much of the time! The pool is gorgeous with a gorgeous view! You get a perfect view of sunset every night and fresh mangoes from the trees on the property in the morning. Oh, and the outdoor shower ... amazing!
The staff was wonderful; warm and caring and helpful. They were all GREAT with our girls and our girls loved them. The food was amazing - especially fish cooked on the beautiful grill. And don't forget to have Christy make her rum punch for you!! We did eat out a couple of times only because we wanted to go back to places we love, and we visited friends, too. But otherwise we didn't feel a need to eat anywhere else since the food was so great! All 3 ladies who cook make just wonderful meals and are great people (we always invited them to eat with us and they usually did join us so we got to know them a little more that way which was great!).
I do recommend that you rent a car. Also consider asking the owner about putting Paul, one of the staff, on the car as a driver. It is a way to add some flexibility so you don't always have to drive yourself if you don't want to but have your own car at your disposal (like we were a little worried about driving at night).
The owner and woman directly in charge of the house, Christy, are both very responsive if you have questions or need help. Go and enjoy your stay!
Seeing the property for the first time took our breath away. The photos do not do it justice. We could have hung out poolside looking out over the ocean for the whole time but we managed to drag ourselves away and venture out. We explored the island, climbed the Pitons (both the Gros and Petit) and did some diving. We ate in most nights savoring Christy's island creations. Christy, Paul and Martina took very good care of us. Jeff was super accommodating. He was readily available and answered all our questions and more. We've already told some friends about it and are planning on returning ourselves. It was a perfect get-away.
but most of all the most peaceful and relaxing trip imaginable